• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Feather Mite again? (1 Viewer)

Pam_m

Hi Folks,

This little chap looks as though he has succumbed to the dreaded feather mite.
He started to look bedraggled around the latter part of March/ early April. I didn't think it would be moult at that time of year and when Bill put on his thread of 'Tatty Robin' I was dreading the same with this little chap. The other Blackbirds would chase him off when he came for food, he seemed like enemy number one. I had not seem him for the past couple of weeks until yesterday morning and I was saddened to see how he had deteriorated. It does look like feather mite doesn't it? As you can see he has a lot of bare flesh showing and it looks as though he has a sore on his chest, I expect he has inflicted that by pecking at it! He has returned this morning for food and is flying well, I wonder if when he moults it will help him?

Attachments

• P1090934.jpg
    P1090934.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 28
  • P1090935.jpg
    P1090935.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 32
  • P1090936.jpg
    P1090936.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 50
Hi Pam,

Must admit that I don't like the look of him. I know very little about feather mite and my concern is whether an infested bird sheds the mites along with the feathers when it moults; the problem is that most birds moult sequentially (one flight feather each side at a time) and grow back ditto (otherwise they wouldn't be able to fly) and then moult tail, body and head feathers. So I suppose that the mites could simply move from the old feathers to the new. Anybody know?

Bill.

What a terrible state he's in, the poor thing. It looks as though it is perhaps mites and that he's just been pulling away at everything. Such a shame, he must be so uncomfortable. Do let us know how he gets on Pam.

Oh dear, Pam, he is in a state. That is a worry. Do let us know how he gets on.

Ahhh Pam, I'm sorry to see such a lovely fellow in such distress! Poor thing! Lets hope he can shed the mites with the moult, and make a recovery, I do hope so.

Poor things in a right sorry looking state Pam. I googled it but couldnt see anything saying mites would disappear when moulting.

Best wishes

The last photo's skin looks really irritated. I hope these awful infestations (if they are indeed mites) clear up soon.

I've gone all itchy too now, reading this. Is your signature written by a feather mite, Pam?Seriously though, I do find this upsetting. Haven't seen any in real life yet, thank goodness.

Ha ha Renée, I had to stop and think of that one!

He was back in the garden this morning but sadly was chased off by another male...not before he grabbed a sultana or two though.

An update on my tatty Blackbird. He is as strong as ever, even though he is still being chased away from the food......he knows that I will put some food in a special place that fortunately the others haven't clocked yet!

As you can see from these pics taken last week he has lost a lot of the straggly feathers, his chest seems to have a light downy colour now, I am sure this is the start of new feather growth! Hopefully he may be Ok. His legs are still very bare though, I just wish the weather would dry up and warm up, I do feel sorry for him after the rain has taken it's toll on him! A few of the other Blackbirds are beginning to look a little untidy now, so tatty will not be on his own soon;)

Attachments

• P1110211.jpg
    P1110211.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 24
  • P1110209.jpg
    P1110209.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 20
Great to hear he's still around and doing OK Pam. Fingers crossed for him. You and me both, re the weather!!

Hi Pam,

He does look a mess! Though he differs from the others we've had on here which have mostly been missing the feathers on the head or on the neck and head. Your Tatty seems ok on the head, but affected more on the legs, wing and certainly the belly! However, until your Tatty Pam, the colours of infected Birds have had red and blue in them.

So is this perhaps where the mite reacts differently in the colour of the Bird? Or is this one further advanced?

Could it even be a mixture of feather mite v other Birds attacking it during the breeding season? Is it even possible that it's to do with winter migrant Blackies??

Any more thoughts in this lot Bill?

Keep an eye on tothers Pam. Stupid things to say! Sorry, not thinking.

Sue.

Hi Sue,

I don't think for a minute that the other Blackbirds have attacked him to cause this mess he is in Sue, they just chase him away...not attack him as such!

It is strange that his head and neck are not affected, just his chest and legs in particular! He has been back again today and is feeding well...sad to see him in such a mess though.You ought to see him when he is wet...poor thing!
I will keep you updated as and when!

Best wishes Sue.

Oh and thanks for your kind replies Mabel and Judo!:t:

An update

I took this photo yesterday morning of my 'tatty' Blackbird. As you can see he still looks strong and is showing new downy feather growth on his chest. I just hope his legs get a few feathers before the autumn to keep him warm!
The other Blackbirds do not chase him off so much now, I wonder if it is because he is looking a bit more normal rather than like a feather duster in their midst?
I have high hopes for his recovery if he can avoid the almost daily visits we are having from a Sparrowhawk!

Attachments

• P1110701.jpg
    P1110701.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 24
  • P1110704.jpg
    P1110704.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 18
Hi Pam,:hi:
Good to see that your Blackie is slowly recovering from his bout of alopecia and that his friends are beginning to recognise him again now!!;)
Watch out for that Sparrowhawk though!!:eek!:
Have a good day in the sunshine,,

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back