• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

astro+40D+1.4x extender possible? (1 Viewer)

boingbirder

Having recently bought a 1.4x extender for my Canon 40D lenses I wondered whether I could also use it with my astro scope. So, the set-up was the camera, the extender, a canon/2 inch focus connecter, the scope.
The result was a message saying 'error 01' and advising me to clean the contacts. I have done so, but I still get the same message.
Is this because my brilliant idea was in essence nonsense?
Can anyone advise whether it is actually possible.
Cheers
John

You will have to tape the pins of the Extender on the Camera side to prevent the Camera from seeing it. What is happening is the Camera is seeing the extender and looking for a lens connected to the extender - when it does not see one it returns an error 01. This is the same with other Canon Cameras that I have tried with the combo (30D,40D and 7D). You will need to be careful though as if the tape comes off in the Camera it could float around by the mirror. I never had a problem with doing this though - I just used bog standard sellotape although you should avoid keeping on fitting/ refitting the extender.
There is an alternative to taping the pins and that is to place a small non reporting extension tube between the Camera and the tc, the only trouble I found with this is that the only non reporting extension tubes that I could find were of very low build quality and mine broke after a couple of days.
BTW it is well worth doing (at least with the SW80ED) as you lose very little when using an extender - I always shot my Astroscope with a 1.4x tc which gave 840mm (1344mm reach on the 40D/7D....)

Last edited:
You will have to tape the pins of the Extender on the Camera side to prevent the Camera from seeing it. What is happening is the Camera is seeing the extender and looking for a lens connected to the extender - when it does not see one it returns an error 01. This is the same with other Canon Cameras that I have tried with the combo (30D,40D and 7D). You will need to be careful though as if the tape comes off in the Camera it could float around by the mirror. I never had a problem with doing this though - I just used bog standard sellotape although you should avoid keeping on fitting/ refitting the extender.
There is an alternative to taping the pins and that is to place a small non reporting extension tube between the Camera and the tc, the only trouble I found with this is that the only non reporting extension tubes that I could find were of very low build quality and mine broke after a couple of days.
BTW it is well worth doing (at least with the SW80ED) as you lose very little when using an extender - I always shot my Astroscope with a 1.4x tc which gave 840mm (1344mm reach on the 40D/7D....)

Just make sure you use tape that leaves no gum residue and take great care to stick it solidly in place. I used tape from a P-Touch Brother label maker. It stiks nicely and there was no residue at all after more than 2 years.

astro+40D+1.4x extender

Thanks Roy and Jules for info.
I used sellotape and went out today (in very poor light conditions but dry at least)
Worked a treat!
Cheers
John

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back