• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which one do you think? (1 Viewer)

Reader

I have never been in a position to enter any photos in any competitions but today I took four photos that I would have liked to have entered into the latest contest. None of them are anything special but I still can't decide which two to select. I thought of you guys. I will post all four into four threads. have a look and tell me which two you would consider I should enter.

The firs is a female Pheasant that was moving some undergrowth. I could really only get her head in this photo.

Attachments

• female pheasant 3.jpg
    female pheasant 3.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 291
The next is a female Greenfinch that was trying hard to hide from me.

Attachments

• greenfinch 2.jpg
    greenfinch 2.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 314
And the last is perhaps the worst photo but the subject is one of the hardest birds to capture as it is a Jack Snipe. All were captured at Marsh Lane reserve today.

Attachments

• jack snipe 1.jpg
    jack snipe 1.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 327
John me old mate,
Asking members to pick a picture for you is a non starter, for a few reasons. Firstly if say 30 mems say "john enter the jack snipe" and you do, your going to want an enquiry if you dont get any votes.
secondly if 30 people advised you to enter the snipe, then they all backed up there judgement by voting for it in the poll, you would of had an unfair advantage over the people who asked no one and used there own judgement. so in the circumstances I think its best if you make your own mind up.

Your in a no win situation mate, if you won the comp you would get hammered for fielding a red hot favorite, and if you lost we would never hear the end of you banging on about what useless judges of a pic we were.3:)

still , best of luck:t: B :)

John J I thought oh the robin... then I thought oh no the Jack Snipe... the Pheasant... or maybe the greenfinch... or drat I am absolutely hopeless at this.. I do wish you good fortune .You still have lots of time to get even more. I am finding that this particular contest has real merit as most birds lately are hiding from me!!!

Steve

I agree with your sentiments but I am not looking for ideas on images that are likely to win. Come on, look at the photos. They are not brilliant and certainly won't be in the running for best photo. Its just that I never thought that I would ever get a shot of a bird that could be considered as a possible entry for any competition. I have four now and just can't make my mind up which two to put in. Simple as that Steve. I ain't bothered about votes it's just the taking part.

Gaye, I won't have any more time really as Ros & I are going to visit all of her family in Essex this weekend. There will not really any time for birding and certainly no time for hanging around trying to take photos so I am stuck with these four, and I still can't make up my mind. After that I am starting my new job and definitely won't be able to get out until at least the following weekend, and one day of that weekend is possibly going to be a moderators meeting day.

Look out for the "Nicholls's"

John J said:
Gaye, I won't have any more time really as Ros & I are going to visit all of her family in Essex this weekend. There will not really any time for birding and certainly no time for hanging around trying to take photos so I am stuck with these four, and I still can't make up my mind. After that I am starting my new job and definitely won't be able to get out until at least the following weekend, and one day of that weekend is possibly going to be a moderators meeting day.

Watch out for us Nicholls' in Essex! I am from Braintree, and there are still a good number of Nicholls in Essex! Have a safe trip from Birmingham.

Cheers Pete. Ros' family are spread around Runwell, Woodham Ferrers, Downham, Wickford and Ramsden Heath. I would love to live down there myself but I'm afraid I would have to win the lottery to do that. All of Ros' family have smart homes, and right by Hanningfield reservoir and the river Crouch areas. Boy are they spoilt for choice but none of them are birders. What a waste. There's us, would appreciate everything around that area of Essex, and yet we are stuck in this god foresaken district of Birmingham. All her family live in stunning surroundings but they have little or no interest on what goes on in the country.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back