• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2 X TCs Old V New (1 Viewer)

Still waiting to receive my tc20e-III but have owned and sold two mk2's and couldn't get on with them even when used on a 70-200/2.8 and tried on a 300/2.8vr

From what I've seen and read the mk3 is leaps and bounds ahead of the mk2

There are a lot of us waiting to be convinced about the Mk111 2.0TC ! However, unless you can buy one we will be along time waiting to find out !
I tried the 2.0TC Mk11 and wasn't impressed at all, in fact I tend to avoid using my 1.7TCMK11 much of the time too but I am lucky in that I have a 500mm and 1.4TC that gives me 700mm and excellent IQ.

Hi, I didn't have mikiix2 but do have a mkiii x2 and a mkii x1.4.
The mark iii x2 gives as good IQ as the 1.4.
I generally leave it on my 300mm f2.8 unless am deliberately after BIF.
Hope this helps,
Rich

Here's a shot taken on a fairly dark morning at ISO1000 with a new 2.0 TC MkIII attached to my F2.8 300mm non VR: hand held but resting on a railing. It isn't cropped and there's minimal processing. I got the Mk III so I could get a 600mm F5.6 for distant record shots and I'm very much still a beginner but I have to say if you take your time and you know what you're doing I imagine you could get some very good shots with it. I've used it at ISO3200 on a tripod and had some shots that are more than good enough for my purposes.

Rioja - I think some of your shots on NWB are fantastic so if you ever want t try a Mk III let me know and I'll let you know when I'm going to NW Wales for a trip!

Attachments

• Iceland_.jpg
    Iceland_.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 191
Hi, I didn't have mikiix2 but do have a mkiii x2 and a mkii x1.4.
The mark iii x2 gives as good IQ as the 1.4.
I generally leave it on my 300mm f2.8 unless am deliberately after BIF.
Hope this helps,
Rich

Praise indeed ! I'm interested !
It is frustrating having watched the results Canon users have been getting with the 300f2.8 and 2.0TC, it's time Nikon matched them !

Here's a shot taken on a fairly dark morning at ISO1000 with a new 2.0 TC MkIII attached to my F2.8 300mm non VR: hand held but resting on a railing. It isn't cropped and there's minimal processing. I got the Mk III so I could get a 600mm F5.6 for distant record shots and I'm very much still a beginner but I have to say if you take your time and you know what you're doing I imagine you could get some very good shots with it. I've used it at ISO3200 on a tripod and had some shots that are more than good enough for my purposes.

Rioja - I think some of your shots on NWB are fantastic so if you ever want t try a Mk III let me know and I'll let you know when I'm going to NW Wales for a trip!

You are very kind, I too am still very much a novice but getting there slowly through trial and error ! I'm always happy to meet up, let me know if and when you are around and we'll see if we can arrange something.cheers Dave .

I bought one a week ago. I presume you mean the Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III. I have only taken a few shot so far, but it seems to be sharp. I'll try to take some pics with it on the Nikkor 70-200 2.8 VR II.

Regards, Paul.

I've been shooting with the 300/2.8 AFS VR and the Nikon 1.4x,17x and new 2.0 111.
I've been impressed with it. Here are a few from this week.
Neil

Nikon D3s and Nikon 300/2.8 AFS VR lens and Nikon TC 20E 111

Hong Kong,
China.
Dec 2010

Attachments

• magpie robin male_DSC4736.jpg
    magpie robin male_DSC4736.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 155
  • red flanked bluertail fem_DSC4521.jpg
    red flanked bluertail fem_DSC4521.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 164
  • rufous tailed robin_DSC4651.jpg
    rufous tailed robin_DSC4651.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 171
  • rw bulbul_DSC4687.jpg
    rw bulbul_DSC4687.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 188
I've been shooting with the 300/2.8 AFS VR and the Nikon 1.4x,17x and new 2.0 111.
I've been impressed with it. Here are a few from this week.
Neil

Nikon D3s and Nikon 300/2.8 AFS VR lens and Nikon TC 20E 111

Hong Kong,
China.
Dec 2010

The shots are nice Neil but with that body and lens I would want and expect better. Personally for me there isn't enough detail and the extra sharpening won't bring it back.That has to be down to the 2.0 TC. compared to a 1.4.

The shots are nice Neil but with that body and lens I would want and expect better. Personally for me there isn't enough detail and the extra sharpening won't bring it back.That has to be down to the 2.0 TC. compared to a 1.4.

I agree it's not as good as the 1.4x for detail and AF's a little slower too. These images though are not taken in sunlight ( an average iso around 2500 ) but in cloudy , overhead shade which is normal winter light here.
I'll see if got similar shots with 2.0 and 1.4x and crop to same size and compare.
Neil

I'm not so sure

I agree it's not as good as the 1.4x for detail and AF's a little slower too. These images though are not taken in sunlight ( an average iso around 2500 ) but in cloudy , overhead shade which is normal winter light here.
I'll see if got similar shots with 2.0 and 1.4x and crop to same size and compare.
Neil

I'm not so sure. I don't think I am loosing any detail over the 1.4TC with the 2x Eiii.
Here's a snow Bunting at 600mm. 300mm f2.8 and 2x Eiii TC.
What do you think. Warning large file
Cheers, Rich

sorry attachment didn't hold. try again

reached limit on filesize. Reduced images do not show fine feather detail that original does. Sorry

I picked up one of the new 2x III tele's for my recently completed Thailand trip and wasn't all that impressed to tell you the truth.
Soft even with subjects closer than "long range" with my D300S and 500 f4 AFS I.
It's certainly not going to replace my trusty 1.4x II but i will continue to test it in the field since i paid so much money for it.

For anyone desperate to get their hands on one, Amazon are advertising 1 in stock. Price £510 plus £10 delivery. I'm not that bothered for sure !
Out of interest how much did one cost in Thailand ?

I picked up one of the new 2x III tele's for my recently completed Thailand trip and wasn't all that impressed to tell you the truth.
Soft even with subjects closer than "long range" with my D300S and 500 f4 AFS I.
It's certainly not going to replace my trusty 1.4x II but i will continue to test it in the field since i paid so much money for it.

It's not really designed to be used with an f4 lens. It's for the 300/2.8 and 400/2.8. Although it will AF slowly with the 500/4 in good light. I'm going out today with it and the 500/4 AFS VR so will what it can do.
Neil.

For anyone desperate to get their hands on one, Amazon are advertising 1 in stock. Price £510 plus £10 delivery. I'm not that bothered for sure !
Out of interest how much did one cost in Thailand ?

I picked mine up in Canada before i left, around $500 CAN after taxes.

It was an impulse buy and it looks like i didn't do enough research before hand, according to Neil's useful information. oh well.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back