• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Frog and Newt IDs, SW Germany, June 2018 (1 Viewer)

Sangahyando

Germany
Hi all,

I've found this frog in the northern Neckar valley, hopping across a lane at night. At the time I was aware it was a frog, it was unfortunately already in the meadow.
I'm stumped since it kind of looks like a Common Frog, but also has a dorsal stripe which the species usually lacks, according to wikipedia. It was mid-sized as far as European frog species go.

The newt is an individual I've encountered in the northern Black Forest at 900 m ASL, in a small, muddy, but densely populated roadside pool (probably the result of recent rainfall) together with a lot of small black objects that must've been either tadpoles or water beetles, and other newts. The track the pool was located next to is a footpath leading to a locally well-known raised bog reserve. The surrounding forest mostly consists of spruce and fir, with some interspersed meadows etc.
I've narrowed down the choice to either Palmate Newt (allegedly more common than Common at these hights), or Smooth (Common) Newt, due to colouration. It was relatively small, IIRC shorter than 10 cm.
Some of the other newts it was with showed a blackish back and a orangey or yellow underside. They were relatively small as well (at most, the same size) and at the other side of the pond, and I couldn't get a picture of them. They didn't have conspicuous crests either.

All images are cropped.
Feedback would be very welcome. Any suggestions?

- Andy

Attachments

• DSCF3128.jpg
    DSCF3128.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 160
  • DSCF3130.jpg
    DSCF3130.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 132
  • DSCF3143.jpg
    DSCF3143.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 135
Interesting, thanks for the replies. I did think of a toad briefly, but the face seemed wrong, what with the brown "cheeks". Then again, that could be the shadow from a blade of grass. One detail though - the animal hopped from the concrete slab of the lane unto the meadow. IIRC toads, including Natterjacks, walk. Or do they jump in emergencies?

Levideen, which features made you rule out Palmate Newt? I'm pretty new to herp IDs, so would appreciate any pointers.

The frog is a frog, NO natterjeck toad (Epidalea calamita). It is a water or green frog, Pelophylax sp., probably Pelophylax klepton esculentus or ridibundus.
The newt should be helveticus, but not or sure sorry.

Thank you for the input :t: P. ridibundus (and the other one probably as well) is certainly common in the area. Unfortunately, I don't have any better pics of the newt, not even ones from other angles.

Any other opinions?

First is moor frog and I think the newt is a smooth newt.
Thanks for your input. Like Andy, I'm not entirely sure why you think it's a Moor Frog though. Particularly seeing as I don't think they even occur in that particular region (densely inhabited Rhine valley).
Regarding the newt, what makes you say Smooth as opposed to Palmate? I'm genuinely curious since I find herps to be notoriously vague and difficult to ID, and would appreciate any additional info.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back