• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Keys & SE Fla. in July--need info on Antillean Nighthawk, etc. (1 Viewer)

Jim M.

Member since 2007
Supporter
United States
Considering a Florida trip in early July--SE and possibly the keys. I know it's not the best time for birds, but it works for me for various reasons. I had a few questions was hoping some might be able to answer:

--It is my understanding that Antillean Nighthawks can often be found above the Key West and Marathon airports at dusk. Would they also be likely in July? Would they be calling in July also to make identification easier? Any tips on where around these airports is best?

-- I know there will not be much at the Dry Tortugas except for the usual breeding seabirds, but those will be of some interest to me. Does the daily ferry (http://www.drytortugasinfo.com/) to the Fort afford good looks of the seabirds? Would that be something I could take a scope on?

-- I tried for the Western Spindalis last year but dipped. Are they back again this year? (Feel free to contact me via private message regarding this).

--May have time to visit only a few spots in the keys. Any recommendations as to what should be on the top of my list? (Other than the nighthawk, I'm looking for Mangrove Cuckoo, Short-tailed Hawk, and Black-whiskered Vireo for my life list, but I'm also interested in seeing a variety of birds and experiencing interesting and scenic places. And the cuckoo and the vireo can be had on Key Largo, and I'm also interested in what places there are to the west in the keys).

--. Any July recommendations for Short-tailed Hawk in SE Fla. outside the keys would be welcome.

Thanks,
Jim

Last edited:
Antillean Nighthawks should be at the Marathon and Key West Airports even in July.

The daily ferry will provide good looks at the birds. Actually, all ferries will leave you on the island itself. Bring your scope to look at the breeding seabirds on the island near the fort if they are still there. You might want to check if the Brown Noddies and Sooty Terns will still be there in July, as they do not stay around all year.

The Western Spindalis are not there this year.

Black-whiskered Vireos are easy at Windley Key Geological Site, and the tropical hardwood hammock is host to a lot of breeding birds.

Short-tailed Hawk is a species more typical of autumn and winter in SE Florida. You will be hard pressed to find one in July there.

Carlos

Thanks Carlos! Have ordered Brian Rapoza's book for more info.

Short-tailed Hawk is a species more typical of autumn and winter in SE Florida. You will be hard pressed to find one in July there.

My Nat Geo guide shows winter range for the keys and extreme SE Fla., but permanent range just a little further north (West Palm Beach and north?). I'll be there as well, though eBird doesn't suggest any particularly good areas in the east in July.

Best,
Jim

I am not familiar with anyone regularly seeing Short-tailed Hawks south of Lake Okeechobee before September...

I have seen them as early as August and as late as May, but June and July are a bit of a dead zone!

Carlos

Antillean Nighthawks should be at the Marathon and Key West Airports even in July.

The daily ferry will provide good looks at the birds. Actually, all ferries will leave you on the island itself. Bring your scope to look at the breeding seabirds on the island near the fort if they are still there. You might want to check if the Brown Noddies and Sooty Terns will still be there in July, as they do not stay around all year.

The Western Spindalis are not there this year.

Black-whiskered Vireos are easy at Windley Key Geological Site, and the tropical hardwood hammock is host to a lot of breeding birds.

Just wanted to report back Carlos. Had a great trip! The highlights:

-- Antillean Nighthawk at the Marathon Airport on 7/3 calling directly above the first place I stopped. No nighthawks at all on Key West though.

-- plenty of birds on the Tortugas. 1700 Brown Noddy Terns; 500 Sooty Terns; 18 Masked Boobies; 6 Brown Boobies

-- 4 Black-whiskered Vireos at Long Key State Park

-- 3 male Shiny Cowbirds at Flamingo in Everglades National Park on 7/4; 10 Swallow-tailed Kites, 1 White-tailed Kite, and 50+ Common Nighthawk at the end of Research Road in ENP

The only bird I thought I had a good chance at but dipped on was Mangrove Cuckoo. Tried both Black Point Park and the botanical gardens on Key Largo, but no luck.

By the way, on the ferry ride to the Dry Tortugas, I saw one, possibly two, Magnificent Frigatebirds sitting on the water. I guess they don't read the books that say they aren't supposed to do that!

Cheers,
Jim

Great that you had a fantastic trip! Come back down in December or so to pick up that Short-tailed Hawk. Very reliable at around 10am on Anhinga Trail (scan the vulture kettles soaring on the thermals) or Matheson Hammock Park (west side).

I'm not surprised at all about missing MACU. It is not the easiest bird to find if you don't know all the exact places to look. When I've shown people this species, I usually have to spend the day beforehand scouting them out in their traditional haunts. I did not see them at all at Key Largo Botanical Site proper this year, but have seen them on Dynamite Trail just to the north (permit required) and at the end of Loquat Rd (bird did not stay in area long, though).

Overall, it seems like you got your birds though! I'm currently in Texas for the first time (for work) and trying to sneak in as much birding time as possible.

Carlos

Where at the Marathon airport? Sounds like I need to make a trip!

I just pulled in the first place I could off the main road, which IIRC was in a small parking lot behind a firehouse near the airport entrance, and there it was callling. The airport isn't very big, so there aren't many options to choose from.

Best,
Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back