• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Boston In Late June (1 Viewer)

Pariah

Stealth Birder
Hi All,

I'm headed to Boston for a few days in late June and was wondering what sites in and around the area would get me the largest number and variety of species.

I will have a car so I can drive some distance.

Regards

Owen

Unfortunately, that's one of the worst times of the year in terms of diversity--mostly breeding birds are around. I would go to Parker River NWR/Plum Island, which is less than an hour north. It's generally regarded as the best birding area in the state; you can find just about everything that occurs in the state there at the appropriate season. If you are into pelagics, on June 26 there's an 18 hour trip run by the Brookline Bird Club: http://massbird.org/BBC/#5913268231898214345 Can be somewhat grueling though, but can be a great show of birds and other ocean life. New England Aquarium offers less grueling whale watching trips departing out of Boston Harbor.

Best,
Jim

Thanks For that.

Would you have a list of what species are usually seen on these pelagics?

Im a BIG seabird nut, but 18 hours is a bit intensive on a short holiday if the species list holds nothing new for me.

Owen

Thanks For that.

Would you have a list of what species are usually seen on these pelagics?

Im a BIG seabird nut, but 18 hours is a bit intensive on a short holiday if the species list holds nothing new for me.

Owen

From the link in my post.
Birds expected: AUDUBON’S, Greater, Sooty, Cory’s and Manx
Shearwaters, Leach’s, Wilson’s & Band-rumped
Storm Petrels, Parasitic and Pomarine, Jaegers,
Gannets, Gulls, Terns and several marine mammals.
This is the time of year to look for the Pterodroma Petrels in our Massachusetts waters. Anything is possible.
I was on the June trip a few years ago. Lots of Leach's Storm Petrels (no Band-rumped-had those in July), 4 shearwater species (no Audubons), a Pom Jaeger/Skua, and a great marine mammal show. Bird diversity for that trip was a bit low. They didn't run the June trip last year, but they did have Black-Capped Petrel in the July trip. You'd probably have to leave Boston around 1:30am to make it to Hyannis in time, but they'll circulate a list of other participants with contact info to facilitate car pooling. (Or you could drive down and stay in a motel the night before.)

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
Thanks for that info. What is the cape cod region like at that time of year?

Owen

Last edited:
Here's the 2008 June pelagic report, 2009 didn't run due to lack of people and from what I hear this year needs a bunch of signups soon or it won't go either. I suspect the potential is much better than the results show (apparently a research trip had a Bermuda Petrel last year a bit further out).

The Cape's never bad, but might be a bit crowded and have too much traffic (weekend especially). I'd head west to the Quabbin area (1.5 hours or so west of Boston), which has lots of breeding warblers and stuff.

Thanks for that info. What is the cape cod region like at that time of year?

Owen

Can be as good as anywhere, but it's significantly farther from Boston (c. 2 hrs drive one way to the end) than Plum Island, and it's a big area. Western Mass can also be good for breeders, as Jason says, but it's also farther away and a bit more challenging to find the birds.

Best,
Jim

Thanks for that again guys.

Distance isn't too much of a problem, we wont be based in Boston and will be free to find accommodation as we go. So 2 hour drives between locations is no issue to me.

Owen

Here's the 2008 June pelagic report, 2009 didn't run due to lack of people and from what I hear this year needs a bunch of signups soon or it won't go either. I suspect the potential is much better than the results show (apparently a research trip had a Bermuda Petrel last year a bit further out).

The Cape's never bad, but might be a bit crowded and have too much traffic (weekend especially). I'd head west to the Quabbin area (1.5 hours or so west of Boston), which has lots of breeding warblers and stuff.

Well my ABA guide to eastern Massachusetts arrived and the Quabbin area looks amazing to me. Any up to date gen on specialities in this area?

Owen

Nothing specific from me, but keep an eye on massbird, central mass bird update and probably here and here (and the links off those).
If I have a chance, I'll dig out the ABA guide and see if there's anything to add. There's a western MA book as well (don't remember the publisher offhand and it may be out of print, the one with the red cover) that's more recent and probably more detailed.

Quabbin area can be a little hard in late June. Wachusett Meadows in Princeton is a good place to start in this area. Lots of wood ducks on the smaller ponds near the Quabbin and Bald Eagles if you know where to go(won't give location here, but google the birds and Belchertown and you'll find the spot).

Also, check out this blog and this one.

Many Thanks to all who provided information to me for boston birding.
I had a great trip with some brilliant birds.

Some of my favourite shots attached.

Owen

Attachments

• American Woodcock.jpg
    American Woodcock.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 260
  • Chestnut Sided Warbler.jpg
    Chestnut Sided Warbler.jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 258
  • Evening Grosbeak.jpg
    Evening Grosbeak.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 253
  • Red Bellied Woodpecker.jpg
    Red Bellied Woodpecker.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 247
  • Yellow warbler.jpg
    Yellow warbler.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 260
That's an amazing amount of ticks for this time of year! Sounds like you had a good time too!B :)

Yes indeed. Quite a lot of nice shots also. The woodcock chick and the Evening Grosbeak (esp. at this time of year) are quite nice finds. Glad you enjoyed it Owen.

Best,
Jim

Well.. gezz.. I haven't seen 70% of those birds and I live here! Of course, I haven't been paying attention until this last year. Birder Newbie. Hats off to Pariah. I strive to do as well in time.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back