• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Video" Mounting Plate Measurements? (1 Viewer)

Hauksen

Forum member
Antarctica
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for the proper measurements of the common "video" style mounting plate as used by many quick release plates, as the one in this shot:

P1310340s.jpg

Basically, the two defining measurements I'm looking for are:

- Diameter of "anti-rotation" lug (apparently 4 to 5 mm?)
- Centre-to-centre distance between "anti-rotation" lug hole and tripod screw hole (apparently 13.2 to 13.9 mm?)

Of course, I've measured the plate in question, but the results don't really match the corresponding dimensions I got from measuring the foot of my scope, so if anyone could help me with some information on the standard dimensions, that would be much appreciated!

Many thanks in advance,

Henning

There is no real standardization of QR plates. AFAIK Gitzo have three different types and I don't know if any of these are compatible with Manfrotto QR systems (the same concern incidentally).
The only universal sytem is Arca Swiss with a 45° dovetail 39 mm wide. Even here there is not always compatibility in the safety retention, to prevent a loose plate falling out, between different manufacturers using the Arca Swiis system.
Retaining screws are either 1/4"x20 or 3/8"x16. If the thread in the scope foot is 3/8", I would prefer to use a 3/8" screw rather than a 1/4" with an adapter.
Most anti-rotation pins are 4,5 mm dimeter, though my Swaro ATM accepts 5 mm, so that is what I use. I measured the pitch between pin hole and thread on my Kowa 883 as 14,1 mm and the pitch on an Arca Swiss plate from Berlebach as 14,4 mm but despite this small discrepancy it fits. Many plates, however, have the screw in a slot, so that the pitch is variable.
Hope this helps.

John

Hi John,

Most anti-rotation pins are 4,5 mm dimeter, though my Swaro ATM accepts 5 mm, so that is what I use. I measured the pitch between pin hole and thread on my Kowa 883 as 14,1 mm and the pitch on an Arca Swiss plate from Berlebach as 14,4 mm but despite this small discrepancy it fits. Many plates, however, have the screw in a slot, so that the pitch is variable.

Thank you very much, that's great information! Is "pitch" the same as the centre-to-centre distance? (I'm struggling a bit with English terminology ... does "thread" in this context refer to the threaded hole as entirety, or to the metal of the thread itself?)

Good to know the distance can vary a bit, seems I don't need to lose too much sleep over getting it right!

Regards,

Henning

Hi Henning,

Yes, by "pitch" I meant the centre-to-centre distance (I halved the sum of the inside and outside dimensions).

A 1/4"x20 thread has an outside diameter of 1/4 inch and 20 threads (Gewindegänge) per inch but don't worry, for tripods and tripod heads there are only 1/4" and 3/8" in common use.

Gruß,

John

PS:- I've just noticed that you also have an 883. Apart from the hole for the anti-rotation pin in the tripod foot there is also a slot behind the retention thread, which would accommodate pitch variations on QR plates.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back