• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa YF series porro prism binoculars (1 Viewer)

42za

Greetings and salutations to all , this is my first post on these forums.

I see that there is very little posted about the Kowa YF series so here are my thoughts on these binoculars.

I have the YF 8 x 30 bino , I actually wanted the 6 x 30 , but sadly these are not available where I live.
The 8 x 30 has however proven to be a very fine binocular indeed , and I am impressed with the overall view , clarity and resolution of these binoculars , they are well worth having.

Do the Kowas compare to my Swarowski 8 x 25 CL or my Leica 10 x 32 UVHD+ , NO OF COURSE NOT , but the Kowa continues to impress me , the more I use the Kowas , the more I like them :t:.

As I cannot be the only owner of the YF , let us hear any other opinions , good or bad , from other owners.

Cheers.

Welcome to the forum from a fellow fan of the Kowa YF series.
However, I do think that the YF have gathered some interest and spurred debate around here. You can find many threads and references talking about them on this forum. Here are a few:

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=278017 (vs Nikon AE 7x35)
https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=298150 (vs Steiner Military 8x30)
https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=218833 (vs Leupold Yosemite)
https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=264749 (YF 6x30 and Yosemite)
https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=280106 (Yosemite, Raptor and other siblings)
https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=223032 (looking for a WP 8x30 porro)

When I discovered that a 700+ gram 8x42 simply could not be my main birding binocular I decided to try the inexpensive 8x30 YF while I decided which way to go (more than a dozen binoculars later -some of them pretty good-, I'm still deciding :D :D). What can I say; I was simply blown away by the value. As you say, these are not the best binoculars out there (nor are they meant to be), but for little more than 100 $/€ they are simply outstanding, to my not-so-experienced eyes. So much so, that these are the binoculars I recommend whenever anyone asks me (and I've already given a few as a present!). My mum has the 6x30, also great. Actually, now that I have some nice 8x30/32, maybe I wouldn't buy the 8x30 again and stick to the 6x30 instead, because the 8x30 is a bit redundant (it's my glovebox unit at the moment, and whenever I use it... it simply puts a smile on my face; the view, the tactile quality and feeling). Perfect.
I just wish Kowa could make a YF+ series, at twice (even three times the price) with better optics and especially beter focus wheel (the weakest point of the device for me). Imagine a 300 €/$ YF+ with a little wider FOV, better focus and same weight and shape. A dream that would make the Nikon E2 pale in comparisson ;) (until now, the E2 is my most used binocular).

Hello Yarrellii , thanks for the links , I missed most of them.

Yes it would be nice if Kowa would make an improved YF series using less plastic , imagine a porro made by them that could compete with the Swarowski Habicht and the Nikon Eii (neither of these is available in my country) , particularly if the price could be kept at approximately 500 US Dollars , that would be something.

Kowa is fully capable of making such a binocular , but this will probably never happen.

Then there is the question of the 7 x 35 porro format LOL.

Well we can dream can't we.

Cheers.

Ohhhhh, a 7x35 Kowa YF-Plus, now that would be a dream. Mind you I don't mind the plastic body of the YF, it it helps keeping the weight down (there are terrific "plastic" binoculars out there, like the Zeiss FL). :)
Daydreaming... so nice.

Hello All,

An update.

I spent a few hours today using my Kowa 8 x 30 YF Porro in the field.
The day was dull and overcast , but this little binocular took everything in its stride and performed admirably despite the 8 x 30 format , I am still very pleased with this binocular.

I will be keeping these as they supplement my other binoculars well.

The only small niggle that I have is that the binocular is on the light side and is sometimes hard to hold steady , other than that they are good , and their price make them a very good buy in my opinion.

It is not a Leica , Swarovski , or Zeiss-------------BUT THEN HEY---------one does not expect them to be.

Cheers.

Bonjour.
Je possède également deux paires de Kowa YF, 6x30 et 8x30.
Je préfère les 6x30 elles sont plus "confortables" a utiliser que les 8x30.
Après beaucoup d'essais et de comparaisons j'ai décidé de ne plus acheter de jumelles avec une pupille de sortie inférieure à 5 mm.
Il est vrai qu'en vieillissant la pupille de l'humain s'atrophie pour devenir plus petite que 4 ou 3 mm donc théoriquement cela ne sert à rien pour une personne de plus de 50 ans d'acheter des jumelles ayant une pupille de sortie de 5 mm ou plus.
Et bien moi je constate que c'est un confort pour l'ajustement des jumelles d'avoir une pupille de sortie plus grande que la pupille de l'oeil et que l'utilisation des jumelles n'en est que plus agréable.
Cordialement.

And for convenience, the above via Google Translate:

'Hello.
I also have two pairs of Kowa YF, 6x30 and 8x30.
I prefer the 6x30 they are more "comfortable" to use than the 8x30.
After much testing and comparison I decided to stop buying binoculars with an exit pupil less than 5mm.
It is true that as we age the pupil of humans atrophies to become smaller than 4 or 3 mm so theoretically it is useless for a person over 50 years old to buy binoculars with an exit pupil 5 mm or more.
Well, I notice that it is a comfort for the adjustment of the binoculars to have an exit pupil larger than the pupil of the eye and that the use of the binoculars is only more pleasant.
Cordially.'

- - - -
John

Thanks for the translation efforts, John.

I also have the 8x30 and 6x30 and for me it is a difficult decision to choose which one is "best".
The level of detail on the 6x appears to be greater, when you look at the bark of a tree, with the 6x it looks to be more "tactile", to have more texture, maybe this is to be expected from the lower magnification.
However, I think I still prefer the 8x as a daily binocular mainly for two reasons:
- While the actual FOV of the 6x is greater (140 vs 131), the apparent FOV of the 8x30 is bigger, a greater part of your view is filled with bright image, there is less "black around the image".
- Eyecup/positioning. While a 5 mm EP binocular should offer a more relaxed viewing position, I find the 6x is less forgiving (I've tried two units; one Kowa and one Vixen; both with exact result). I can't exactly tell why this happens, but I find the position in the 8x to be more comfortable and less prone to kidney beaning.

All in all, I think either of these represents a great value.

Thanks so much for posting about the YF. I am looking to buy my first pair of binoculars to carry with me on my daily walks. I just want something I can keep in my bag as I travel around. I have looked online here in Taiwan and was initially thinking to buy Nikon Akulon A211 10x42, but then saw the Kowa YF II 8x30. The latter are slightly more expensive. I am new to the forum so still hunting around, but if anyone has any advice I would be delighted to hear.

Thanks so much for posting about the YF. I am looking to buy my first pair of binoculars to carry with me on my daily walks. I just want something I can keep in my bag as I travel around. I have looked online here in Taiwan and was initially thinking to buy Nikon Akulon A211 10x42, but then saw the Kowa YF II 8x30. The latter are slightly more expensive. I am new to the forum so still hunting around, but if anyone has any advice I would be delighted to hear.
I had this model 8x30 and it is good, I would recommend it over the Nikon Aculon, as it is smaller and a great starter model.
I would proceed with confidence.

Welcome to the forum, good luck with your search, and be sure to come back and tell us more about your binoculars.

Jerry

Another vote for the Kowa over the Aculon.
The Kowa is: smaller, lighter, is waterproof and has a bigger field of view (as it should, being 8x and not 10x).
The Aculon: has more reach, 10x

I would buy the Kowa with confidence against the Aculon as well, unless you definitelly "need" the 10x.

Other brand to consider is Levenhuk, more specifically the Sherman Pro series. You can find the Sherman Pro 10x42 for little more money than the Kowa and it can outperform it, while also being waterproof and having better ergonomics than the aculon. I had the 7x35 Aculon and found the eye pieces fogged very easily due to little eye relief.

Coming back to the Kowa, maybe now that the new version in green is out, you can find discounts on the old black version. Don't forget that the Kowa has siblings from other brands such as Leupold, Vixen or Opticron, all of them should offer a similar experience and quality and maybe it's worth checking in case you can find a good deal with any of those brands (I once bought the Vixen sibling, the Atrek, for less than 100 $).

Thank you all for your comments and advice. I bought the Kowas. I went away the day after they arrived, and therefore, so far, have not used them much. My first impressions however are very positive. My only disappointment, and it is a minor one, is the cover for the eyepiece is a very loose fit, and this surprised me when the overall build quality seems so good. Thus far I am finding them to be easily adjustable, nice to hold, and the magnification to be just the right balance.

Attachments

• 5F229C74-5F99-43B3-BC73-30BBAA1171CC.jpeg
    5F229C74-5F99-43B3-BC73-30BBAA1171CC.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 34
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back