• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone using Nikon L120? (1 Viewer)

Menlite

Hi all, I have been eyeing for a DSLR camera for a long time but all over my budget. So I'm thinking of getting a high optical zoom camera like Nikon L120.
And the red one is nice n stylist..!!!

I've not used any of these, but I have tried out the Sony HX99 (newer model ) and the Panasonic ZS30 (older model). They can both take nice photos, but the ZS30 has no EVF so I wouldn't recommend that specific model. Of the ones I listed below, I'd likely pick the HX80 unless the extra $100 over the L120 is a show stopper. There's a lot of not-quite-so-old cameras in the 600mm - 1000mm range in the $100 - $200 price range used.

The L120 is 25-525mm equivalent, which is decent, but not really super zoom. But I guess you can get them used for $50 - $100 now. Not to knock 525mm, that's pretty good.

The Sony HX80 is 24-720mm for about $200, and I bet it has a very good EVF which I find important for longer focal lengths (locating your target hold the camera at arms length is hard at long focal length). There's also the HX200V at 27-810mm in bridge format for about the same used.

The Panasonic ZS60 or ZS70 are also in the 24-720mm range. They also have an EVF. I have not tried them specifically, but I'd put my money on the HX80's EVF being better. Those are both in the $200 range used.

In the bridge format (20MP), there's the canon SX420 and SX540. They go out to the 1000mm - 1300mm range and used are probably $100-$150 (SX420) or $200-$250 (SX540).

Marc

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back