• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Security of straps on case & FP attachment points (1 Viewer)

SeldomPerched

Having taken the plunge on an EL SV 10x50 I'd appreciate your experience with the Field Pro strap attachment system. I.e. once attached and the pin button twisted round to the lock position, does the strap attachment stay securely locked? I'm sure it's been thoroughly tested at the factory but as it is different from the usual sort of method used by other makers I thought it was something to ask.

Similarly the strap provided for the zip up green carry case has a slightly unusual attachment method: a velcro fastening. Is that good enough to support a 900g pair of binoculars? As the strap end is folded over, presumably yes but if anyone has had problems again it seemed as well to check.

Apart from these questions I could not be more excited about the purchase of this item.

Tom

Having taken the plunge on an EL SV 10x50 I'd appreciate your experience with the Field Pro strap attachment system. I.e. once attached and the pin button twisted round to the lock position, does the strap attachment stay securely locked? I'm sure it's been thoroughly tested at the factory but as it is different from the usual sort of method used by other makers I thought it was something to ask.

Similarly the strap provided for the zip up green carry case has a slightly unusual attachment method: a velcro fastening. Is that good enough to support a 900g pair of binoculars? As the strap end is folded over, presumably yes but if anyone has had problems again it seemed as well to check.

Apart from these questions I could not be more excited about the purchase of this item.

Tom
In my experience the Field Pro strap attachment is quite secure. The velcro fastening system on the case is very secure also. I don't see anyway it could come loose or detach. The 10x50 SV is one "sweet" binocular! I have the 12x50 SV.

Dennis, thanks & yes what a binocular! I tried it out mainly on your recommendation in fact and preferred it to the 10x42 SV.

Last edited:
The strap twist connectors on my EL 10x42s have come loose a couple of times, but on each occasion I was lucky enough to prevent the binoculars crashing to the ground. The first time I felt the binoculars slipping and caught them, the second time they were held in place by my camera sling that lay across them.

The strap twist connectors on my EL 10x42s have come loose a couple of times, but on each occasion I was lucky enough to prevent the binoculars crashing to the ground. The first time I felt the binoculars slipping and caught them, the second time they were held in place by my camera sling that lay across them.
It seems it would be difficult for the strap twist connectors to come loose because you have to push them in at the same time you turn them which would seem VERY unlikely to happen by accident. I guess in a "perfect storm" they could come loose.

The "strap twist connectors," or whatever they are called have come loose a couple of times on my Swarovski CL Companion 8x30 B. The last time was the day before yesterday in my car where one became detached and fell on the floor. Fortunately it was easily recovered and I hooked it up again.

IMO they keep the strap untangled better than the standard lug attachments do but they do not inspire confidence as a protective device to keep the binocular from coming loose.

Bob

The "strap twist connectors," or whatever they are called have come loose a couple of times on my Swarovski CL Companion 8x30 B. The last time was the day before yesterday in my car where one became detached and fell on the floor. Fortunately it was easily recovered and I hooked it up again.

IMO they keep the strap untangled better than the standard lug attachments do but they do not inspire confidence as a protective device to keep the binocular from coming loose.

Bob
Bob
Interesting. I am going to keep an eye on mine a little closer now. Thanks, for that.

Last edited:
I`v used a FP SV pretty much every single day for over 3 years, never once have they come loose, provided the bayonet pin is correctly clicked home they cannot undo on their own, pressure and rotation would need to be applied at the same time and in my experience this cannot happen in normal use, and I`v had and seen conventional strap connections come undone.

Best addition to using binoculars ever IMHO.

Dennis,

As I understand it you can only use Swarovski CL Companion Field Pro Strap Pins on the strap that comes with the Swarovski CL Companion 8/10x30B so if you lose the pin you have to order a new one to replace it. Pins for the ELs won't fit it.

https://www.optics4birding.com/swar...MIy8uajNfi5AIVxJ-zCh3b7wLaEAQYBSABEgIf7_D_BwE

Bob

I`v used a FP SV pretty much every single day for over 3 years, never once have they come loose, provided the bayonet pin is correctly clicked home they cannot undo on their own, pressure and rotation would need to be applied at the same time and in my experience this cannot happen in normal use, and I`v had and seen conventional strap connections come undone.

This is reassuring. Have taken care to fit the straps as in the instructions so it should be OK. Thank you for letting me know your positive experience.

The connectors came loose on my CL 10x30. Twice. Never had any problem with conventional strap connections in well over 40 years. The only way they may conceivably come loose is through user error.

I don't think so. In fact, the CL was my first and will be my last pair of binoculars with propietary connectors.

IMNSHO Swarovski managed to develop a bad solution to a non-existent problem. Great job.

Hermann

I think the Swarovski Field Pro system was devised without any need. The standard strap system has worked
for decades without a hitch. Now we hear about those with troubles with Field Pro.

Swarovski has not updated the optics in the EL version in the last 10 years, so they just decided to provide a new strap system, and objective covers.

Fieldpro is not an upgrade at all, just a small change.

Jerry

I think the Swarovski Field Pro system was devised without any need. The standard strap system has worked
for decades without a hitch. Now we hear about those with troubles with Field Pro.

Swarovski has not updated the optics in the EL version in the last 10 years, so they just decided to provide a new strap system, and objective covers.

Fieldpro is not an upgrade at all, just a small change.

Jerry

Sounds fair enough. I am thinking of using my new 10x50 EL SVs without the strap attached and keeping them in the carry case with its strap (the one with the velcro fastening) when moving from one viewing point to another if it's more than about 50 yards or so. They have given me three unusual viewing experiences in the course of three days and forgetting about the straps I am incredibly impressed. So thanks again for passing on some of the enthusiasm; it's infectious.

Tom

"I've used a FP SV pretty much every single day for over 3 years, never once have they come loose, provided the bayonet pin is correctly clicked home they cannot undo on their own, pressure and rotation would need to be applied at the same time and in my experience this cannot happen in normal use, and I've had and seen conventional strap connections come undone.

Best addition to using binoculars ever IMHO."

I would have to agree with Torview on this. I have had a lot of Swarovski Field Pro's and I have NEVER had my straps come loose in years of use. I feel it would be impossible if the strap was PROPERLY connected for it to come off. You have to push the connector in and at the SAME TIME turn it. I just can't wrap my head around how that could happen accidently. I think it helps keep your strap from twisting and makes it easier to install your strap plus the strap is easily adjustable. I wouldn't buy a Swarovski without the new Field Pro System.

"I've used a FP SV pretty much every single day for over 3 years, never once have they come loose, provided the bayonet pin is correctly clicked home they cannot undo on their own, pressure and rotation would need to be applied at the same time and in my experience this cannot happen in normal use, and I've had and seen conventional strap connections come undone.

Best addition to using binoculars ever IMHO."

I would have to agree with Torview on this. I have had a lot of Swarovski Field Pro's and I have NEVER had my straps come loose in years of use. I feel it would be impossible if the strap was PROPERLY connected for it to come off. You have to push the connector in and at the SAME TIME turn it. I just can't wrap my head around how that could happen accidently. I think it helps keep your strap from twisting and makes it easier to install your strap plus the strap is easily adjustable. I wouldn't buy a Swarovski without the new Field Pro System.

I can go with that. I have checked mine are properly attached, going through the instruction sheet and all works out OK.

I think I have found the reason that the pins came loose in my Swarovski CL Companion 8x30B on 2 occasions.

My hands are too big; for this binocular anyway. I wear double XXL size gloves.

If I place my thumbs in the grooves provided for them on the bottom of the objective tubes what happens is that the bottom of the back knuckles on my index fingers rest up against the top of the Pins along the side of the Objective Tubes. If I grip the binocular tightly I can inadvertently push in one of the pins.

If I grip the binocular further down the tubes this problem goes away but I have to keep the ends of my fingers away from the front of the objectives.

I guess I will have to live with it. I like the binocular too much to get rid of it.

Bob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back