• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My favorite bird viewing locations. (1 Viewer)

dalethorn

Disclaimer: My experiences are very limited because I rarely travel. That said, here are my favorite spots, close to where I live/lived, and/or visit occasionally.

Bolsa Chica, Huntington Beach CA: I stalked this area for about 2 years, and observed many many species - hummingbirds of several types, hawks, ospreys, kites, kestrels, turkey vultures, stilts, night herons, terns, blue herons, black skimmers, gulls, pelicans, egrets, swamp sparrows, others.... Not to mention rattlesnakes, rabbits, coyotes, jellyfish, etc.

Cuyahoga Valley Nat'l Park, specifically the beaver marsh area at Ira Trailhead off of Riverview Road, Cuyahoga Falls: Various ducks, green herons, kingfishers, swallows of several types, phoebes, warblers, great blue herons, egrets, woodpeckers, least bitterns, others... Not to mention snakes, turtles large and small, beavers, muskrats, many more.

Charles Towne Landing, Charleston SC: There are two main ponds extending from the visitor center back into the park some distance. Nearly all of the good sightings are around these two ponds. Storks, anhingas, herons, egrets, ibis, others.... Not to forget snakes, spiders, alligators, turtles, minks, etc.

The reason I mention these three sites is because the concentration of wildlife is very high there, and you probably can't go out any day of the year without seeing several interesting species, without much walking beyond a mile. I've gotten my most and best bird photos at these locations, so they're highly recommended.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back