• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Guide to the Identification and Natural History of the Sparrows.... (1 Viewer)

nctexasbirder

young birder
....of the United States and Canada....anyone have it? if so is it good? its by James Rising and David Beadle from 1996...it seems to have been left in the dust as a reference guide...are there any sample images on the net?

nctexasbirder said:
....of the United States and Canada....anyone have it? if so is it good? its by James Rising and David Beadle from 1996...it seems to have been left in the dust as a reference guide...are there any sample images on the net?

I dont think its been left in the dust at all. It's a very nice book with extensive illustrations of juveniles and subspecies. The 1996 version has nice drawn illustrations.
http://www.amazon.com/Identificatio...ef=sr_1_1/002-8908441-3811249?ie=UTF8&s=books

There is a 2001 version using photographs: http://www.amazon.com/Sparrows-Unit...17470/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b/002-8908441-3811249

I find it still used alot by field ornithologists I have worked with. I have used them both and can tell you these are good books for people who want to really understand the American sparrows and ID them in all plumages and geographical variations.
They contain alot of ID information not found in Sibley or any standard field guide as well as good life history information and excellent range maps.
I am not in the States now so can't look at my copies to give you more specifics. But, I definitely recommend these books for serious birders or field ornithologists.
Marc

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back