• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Maine (Central Coastal) (1 Viewer)

streatham

Calling all Maine Members:

I am visiting Maine for the 1st time this weekend to do some birding and was looking for some advice. What I am looking for is some suggestions from members as to places local to Bath that would be worth visiing. My aim for the trip is to try and see whatever winter finches, sea ducks, interesting gulls and alcids that are possible (basically all the things that are impossible to find in Southern CT at the moment).

Here is a list of the things I'd most like to find:Red-throated Loon, Northern Fulmar, King Eider, Surf Scoter, WW Scoter, Barrow's Goldeneye, Bald Eagle, Northern Goshawk, Rough-Legged Hawk, Ruffed Grouse, BH Gull, LBB Gull, Glaucous Gull, BL Kittiwake, Dovekie, Razorbill, Murre, B Guillemot, Snowy Owl?, N Hawk Owl, BB Woodpecker, Northern Shrike, Common Raven, B Waxwing, Redpoll, WW Crossbill? R Crossbill? E Grosbeak *
P Grosbeak.

I've done some internet reserch but any further advice on finding any of these species would be greatly appreciated. Thanks In advance - Luke.

Luke, I realize it has been a few years since you posted this, but my wife and I are taking a trip to Maine, May 13 to May 21. I also realize that this is probably a little early for the Atlantic Puffins, but I was wondering how your trip went. Since we are going in the spring of the year the birds to be found will be somewhat different than what you saw. But, I thought perhaps you could give me a few pointers about some good birding places in the downeast region of the state. We will be flying into Portland. Did you bird any in that area? After a day or two around Portland, we will be going to Bar Harbor on Desert Island/Acadia NP.

I have bookmarked the URL "Maine Birding Trail" (Portland) given on another thread in the Maine Forum. I think that will be helpful as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back