• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

tree ducks (1 Viewer)

Al Kat

Would like to know if there are any good places to find Black-Bellied Whistling Ducks and Fulvous(Tree) Ducks in Florida in the later half of March

Thanks for any help

Al Kat

Would like to know if there are any good places to find Black-Bellied Whistling Ducks and Fulvous(Tree) Ducks in Florida in the later half of March

Thanks for any help

Al Kat

This site has some good info about where to find them in SE Fla:

http://www.tropicalaudubon.org/specialty.html

I've seen BBWD close up almost every time I've visited Green Cay Wetlands in Palm Beach County, though I've visited in Sept. and Dec. only.

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
Black bellied Whistling Ducks

Thanks for any help

Al Kat

Dont know about March but I had 120+ Black bellied Whistling Ducks at a pond near Viera Wetlands yesterday.

I saw plenty of them at the Circle B Bar reserve last month. I don't know what march will be like.

DSC_9111adc810c76.jpg

On February 20, I had a couple hundred each of both Black-bellied and Fulvous Whistling-Ducks at STA-5. I also recorded about a dozen Limpkin, two American Bittern, Least Bittern, Sora, etc. About 70 species total in 3-4 hours of birding.

Carlos

I saw plenty of them at the Circle B Bar reserve last month. I don't know what march will be like.

DSC_9111adc810c76.jpg

I love that picture! I went to the Circle B Bar reserve for the first time this past Saturday. I wasn't there for very long so I didn't see much. The highlight of the day was seeing an eagle's nest.

Was going to go back today but we got rained out. :-C

On February 20, I had a couple hundred each of both Black-bellied and Fulvous Whistling-Ducks at STA-5. I also recorded about a dozen Limpkin, two American Bittern, Least Bittern, Sora, etc. About 70 species total in 3-4 hours of birding.

Carlos

Is there any type of access to this area other than on the published dates? I'll be in that area but not when the guided visits are scheduled and wondered if there's even access on foot or somewhere to get views of the area.

Alex,

I believe you can walk in on days there are unguided tours. What I did was go solo, as I was after two particular rarities that have been sighted inside the STA...but I still went on a day when the gates were open so I could use a car. It's a big place, and there is no shade.

Email Margaret England for more info:

[email protected]

Carlos

Alex,

I believe you can walk in on days there are unguided tours. What I did was go solo, as I was after two particular rarities that have been sighted inside the STA...but I still went on a day when the gates were open so I could use a car. It's a big place, and there is no shade.

Email Margaret England for more info:

[email protected]

Carlos

Thanks for the help:t:, I've sent an email

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back