• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Ohio next May 2011 (1 Viewer)

Hello !!

What can I expect from a full week of birding for next May 2011?

A friend from Columbus invites me next may and I want to know where are the best spots in Ohio - maybe not so far from Columbus - and what kind of birds may I expect there !

Many thanks for all your advices!

Didier

Bonjour Didier,
Magee Marsh is DEFINITELY the place to be in May! Not only is the best spot in Ohio, but probably the best spot in North America, especially between May 5 and May 15, 2011, this is known as "The Biggest Week in American Birding" but anytime in May will still be good. Here is a link to a list of birds you can expect to see:

http://www.biggestweekinamericanbirding.com/birds.htm

(You can also download the list in .pdf format.)

I hope you can make it! But there are also many excellent places in and around Columbus to go birding. I would start at the nearest Metropark. Here is a link to a map of the Columbus Metroparks:

http://www.metroparks.net/ParksMaps.aspx

Have a safe trip, welcome to Ohio, and happy birding!
Au revoir,
Brian

Last edited:
I also will say that Magee Marsh is fantastic. I was there myself for the first time last May, and the birding absolutely blew my mind. I ended up with around 30 species of warblers. There are some surrounding areas that can be just as good but much less crowded. When I was there, it was almost shoulder to shoulder with other birders and photographers along the famous "boardwalk". The birds did not care, however, and still put on quite a show.

Me and my Wife will be attending the festival at Magee Marsh in May for the first time. We are both very excited and are looking forward to meeting new birders. Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back