• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zellwood-Florida (1 Viewer)

Mark

I am visiting Florida at the end of August and was wondering if the muck fields at Zellwood were still there and still attracting waders? I visited many years ago and saw literally hundreds and hundreds of waders. If anyone had any upto date info on the site that would be great, and if the site is still worth visiting?

Yes, definitely go to Lake Apopka Restoration area. I live where I can make daily visits to Wakodahatchee Green Cay and Loxahatchee, but I will say I was extremely impressed with this place. I was there last November, so it's a bit early for the migrants I saw then. But when I went to the back nearer the lake I saw like 15 ospreys at once., some jousting in midair.Lots of raptors including the Bald eagle, and warblers. It's open 24 hours from what I understand, so you can get in a good day.

The muck farms, including Zellwin Farms and Zellwood Muck Farm, were actually bought by the state as part of the restoration.

The Lake County Florida website also has some good suggestions in that area. There is the scrub jay trail, Turkey Lake, Trimble Park is really nice (in Tangerine) Lake Dora is nice too, if you take the boat ride down the canal which runs between Lake Dora and Lake Eustis you'll see lots of anhinga. The town of Mount Dora is a really cute place if you want a bite, al in that area. There is also a boardwalk along the lake.

Almost forgot the Emeralda marsh as well. It's known as the "crown jewel of birdwatching" in the area. You can drive through the wetlands during limited hours. It's one of the few places that allow that. It's only open for driving from Feb to May--oops---but you can still walk or bike there and there are other trails as well.

Trimble Park is actually in Orange County but just south of Mount Dora. It's not a long hike but it is beautiful

There is also the Oakland Nature Preserve on Lake Apopka in Orange County. That was once a muck farm, citrus groves, etc.

Thanks for asking this question. Googling Zellwood muck farm has been really educational ;)

Last edited:
Hi,

From the UK, working in Tampa for the next fortnight - just wondering the best source of info for Fort De Soto /migration news and also the best place to TRY and photograph Least Bittern - the missing heron from my FL heron collection!!

Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back