• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon D70, FSA L-1, ED 82 (1 Viewer)

jynn00

I own the Nikon D70 and am seriously considering purchasing the Nikon Ed 82 and the FSA L-1 adapter to start digiscoping.

Most people recommmend that you use a scope before you invest. The propblem is no one in Atlanta GA carries this scope for me to view. But even more I would like to see some photographs that used this combination of equipment. Does anyone use this setup or know where I can view some pictures taken with this set up?

Like the rest of you, I'm just looking for "sharp, bright" images .

jynn00 said:
I own the Nikon D70 and am seriously considering purchasing the Nikon Ed 82 and the FSA L-1 adapter to start digiscoping.

Most people recommmend that you use a scope before you invest. The propblem is no one in Atlanta GA carries this scope for me to view. But even more I would like to see some photographs that used this combination of equipment. Does anyone use this setup or know where I can view some pictures taken with this set up?

Like the rest of you, I'm just looking for "sharp, bright" images .

You could try this link
http://www.nital.it/experience/fieldscope_eng.php

It is written by an Italian and some of the English is a bit unclear but it's worth looking at. I have the set up you are proposing except that I have the ED78 the predecessor to the 82. A few words of warning. You need a good strong tripod as the combination is a bit unwieldy. "Sharp bright" images are not easy. You have a fixed aperture of f13 and focus with the scope ring. Minute adjustments of the ring alter the focus quite a bit. You are effectively dealing with about a 1500mm lens. You need good light conditions. You are more likely to get good sharp pictures with a good quality lens

Thanks!
http://www.nital.it/experience/fieldscope_eng.php is very useful.

I really want to get that set-up and the Nikkor 70-400 VR telephoto.

markgrubb said:
You could try this link
http://www.nital.it/experience/fieldscope_eng.php

It is written by an Italian and some of the English is a bit unclear but it's worth looking at. I have the set up you are proposing except that I have the ED78 the predecessor to the 82. A few words of warning. You need a good strong tripod as the combination is a bit unwieldy. "Sharp bright" images are not easy. You have a fixed aperture of f13 and focus with the scope ring. Minute adjustments of the ring alter the focus quite a bit. You are effectively dealing with about a 1500mm lens. You need good light conditions. You are more likely to get good sharp pictures with a good quality lens

I'm looking at some of the same options for the D70. Try the bird-pix group at yahoo. It will give you a lot of bird images, some from the D70 and 80-400 VR combination, and may give you some other ideas as well.

I digiscope with the D70+FSA-L1+ED82 and also owns the 80-400 VR.

Digiscoping with the D70 is great, but you need very good lightning conditions and the best of the tripods available. F13 can be limitating in many situations. The advantages to use a DSLR are lost because of the small aperture: if lightning conditions are not excellent, I often increase the ISO to guarantee a sufficient shutter speed. But yes, if light is good, you will have "bright and sharp" images with the FSA-L1 ;-)

In the field, I often digiscope with a Coolpix 7900 on the ED82, and change to the D70+80-400 VR when a bird is close enough, or flying near me.
An example: digiscoping with a so-so light gives a 1/125 at 400 ISO on the D70, whereas ~1/200 can be achieved with a CP at 100 ISO with similar focal lenght and conditions.

Hope this helps,
Pierre

pes said:
I digiscope with the D70+FSA-L1+ED82 and also owns the 80-400 VR.

Digiscoping with the D70 is great, but you need very good lightning conditions and the best of the tripods available. F13 can be limitating in many situations. The advantages to use a DSLR are lost because of the small aperture: if lightning conditions are not excellent, I often increase the ISO to guarantee a sufficient shutter speed. But yes, if light is good, you will have "bright and sharp" images with the FSA-L1 ;-)

In the field, I often digiscope with a Coolpix 7900 on the ED82, and change to the D70+80-400 VR when a bird is close enough, or flying near me.
An example: digiscoping with a so-so light gives a 1/125 at 400 ISO on the D70, whereas ~1/200 can be achieved with a CP at 100 ISO with similar focal lenght and conditions.

Hope this helps,
Pierre

it would be really interesting so see some photos taken with the cp7900 and ED82 combination!! could you please post some pics to your gallery??

Are you using the FSB-1 adapter?? and on of the DS eyepieces??

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back