• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from Sofia, Bulgaria (1 Viewer)

gkamov

Yeah, birds.
Bulgaria
Hi there!

My name is Georgi. I've been birdwatching on and off since I was around 9-10. Now I'm happily back on track with my wife and two kids who suddenly expressed keen interest in birding in the last couple of months.

Will be glad to share cool sightings and chat with the rest of the forum. Here's my eBird profile if anyone is interested.

Cheers!

Hi Georgi and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Hi Georgi welcome to the forum. Hope the wife and kids stay enthusiastic, briding can be a wonderful family hobby.

Hi Georgi

I'm a birder from Yorkshire England and am heading to Bulgaria with the family for the first time. We are staying in Obzor on the coast. I am the only birder and have hopefully booked a day trip with neoprene Birding but wondered if you had any advice about what birds (and where to see them) close to Obzor.

Ideally in walking distance but happy to use public transport and might hire a car for a couple of days. Realise Sofia is quite distant from Obzor but figure you'd have Far better idea as to what might be around

Regards

Rob

Hi Georgi

I'm a birder from Yorkshire England and am heading to Bulgaria with the family for the first time. We are staying in Obzor on the coast. I am the only birder and have hopefully booked a day trip with neoprene Birding but wondered if you had any advice about what birds (and where to see them) close to Obzor.

Ideally in walking distance but happy to use public transport and might hire a car for a couple of days. Realise Sofia is quite distant from Obzor but figure you'd have Far better idea as to what might be around

Regards

Rob

Hey, Rob,

Booking a trip with local birdwatchers is always a good choice. Nonetheless, you can certainly explore on your own :) The Obzor shoreline should be an easy starting point, since the autumn migration has already begin for some species. You can also check the hills nearby (here's a checklist from July a couple of years ago https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S38024927), or the areas around the road to Popovich (https://goo.gl/maps/1Emgwft3QDNk1wmq7)

Here are some other birding hotspots you can visit in the area (would recommend hiring a car for all of them), together with the most probable species for this time of year:
- Iralki Beach https://ebird.org/hotspot/L8949578
- Cape Emine https://ebird.org/hotspot/L2687949
- Goritsa Forest Area https://ebird.org/hotspot/L4969284
- Dyulino Pass https://ebird.org/hotspot/L6043588

Hope you have a great time!

Dear Georgi,

Many thanks for the information and taking the time to post. We head out on the 2nd September for 12 days I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again - much appreciated!

Rob

Dear Georgi

Many thanks for all the useful information via the Links. I read before going out and was most helpful. I went on a couple of neoprene tours which were very good. Picked up on 5 woodpeckers - Greater spotted, Green, Syrian Middle Spotted (of which managed photos) and a lesser spotted fly by! No photo but very familiar with the species.

Went to Burgas and impressed with the birding in the centre of town! Though my photographs of pelicans were dire as had left settings on from when in the wood!

Spent most of my time around Obzor where plenty of red backed shrikes, spotted flycatchers and the occasional red breasted - lots of bee eaters. Saw several raptors lesser spotted and short toed mainly - I think!!

Sadly not too many migrants but thanks again!!

Regards

Rob

Hey again, Rob! Glad you had a good time - better luck next time with the migrants :) All the best!

Dear Georgi

Many thanks for all the useful information via the Links. I read before going out and was most helpful. I went on a couple of neoprene tours which were very good. Picked up on 5 woodpeckers - Greater spotted, Green, Syrian Middle Spotted (of which managed photos) and a lesser spotted fly by! No photo but very familiar with the species.

Went to Burgas and impressed with the birding in the centre of town! Though my photographs of pelicans were dire as had left settings on from when in the wood!

Spent most of my time around Obzor where plenty of red backed shrikes, spotted flycatchers and the occasional red breasted - lots of bee eaters. Saw several raptors lesser spotted and short toed mainly - I think!!

Sadly not too many migrants but thanks again!!

Regards

Rob

Hi Again

Any suggestions for these that I'm not 100% sure of the id. I have some thoughts but don't want to bias opinion!

Many thanks

Regards

Rob

Attachments

• lbj3.jpg
    lbj3.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 10
  • lbj.jpg
    lbj.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 7
  • lbj4.jpg
    lbj4.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 9
  • lbjwh.jpg
    lbjwh.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 8
Hi Again

Any suggestions for these that I'm not 100% sure of the id. I have some thoughts but don't want to bias opinion!

Many thanks

Regards

Rob

Hi again, Rob. Here's what I think:

1. Honey buzzard
2. Greater whitethroat
3. Willow warbler
4. Red-breasted flycatcher

Cheers!

Dear Georgi

Thanks for that. I too thought willow warbler and red breasted flycatcher. Been a long time since I've seen a honey buzzard so wasn't sure and whitethroat I hadn't thought of!

Thanks for the help.

Rob

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back