• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need Swarovski 8x30 CL Date ID Confirmed? (1 Viewer)

gcole

United States
While on a trip back to New York this week I visited a LLbean store and I
negotiated down a price for a Green pair of CL 8x30 for $639. I knew it was not the current model but felt sorry for this little fellow 3:) for sitting new in its box with no one wanting to pay the $1079 price that was on the original retail tag. The serial number is K854950438. I am reading this as manufactured in 2016, 49th week . Can anyone confirm that this is correct ?

Just call Swarovski and they'll tell you. That's what I did with the one I purchased this year.
That's a great price and even better than what I paid.

How do you like it? Some people think it's not too good for a Swarovski. I've been enjoying mine (tan color) and think the optics are fine. I especially like the colors, but I do recognize now that it could be a little sharper.
Most of the time I feel it's sharp enough, but when I use it a day after using my Ultravid+ it really suffers by comparison. When I use it solely for some days I adjust and it's fine again.

I would like to upgrade from CL to EL SV 8x32, but I don't want to spend that kind of money at this point.

negotiated down a price for a Green pair of CL 8x30 for $639. I knew it was not the current model but felt sorry for this little fellow 3:) for sitting new in its box with no one wanting to pay the $1079 price that was on the original retail tag. The serial number is K854950438. I am reading this as manufactured in 2016, 49th week . Can anyone confirm that this is correct ?

Gcole,

Good move. I own both the original and new version in 8x30. The newer version is better optically but a new in the box original version like yours is well worth @ $650 and IMO the previous accessory package is better, especially the case, strap and rain guard. The new objective covers are the only improved accessory.

Hope you enjoy them.

Mike

Just call Swarovski and they'll tell you. That's what I did with the one I purchased this year.

How do you like it? Some people think it's not too good for a Swarovski. I've been enjoying mine (tan color) and think the optics are fine. I especially like the colors, but I do recognize now that it could be a little sharper.
Most of the time I feel it's sharp enough, but when I use it a day after using my Ultravid+ it really suffers by comparison. When I use it solely for some days I adjust and it's fine again.

I would like to upgrade from CL to EL SV 8x32, but I don't want to spend that kind of money at this point.

Hey Beth,

You mention "tan color". Do you actually have the Africa edition or the Traveler tan color? I bought the Africa edition for my wife several years ago. I really like the color but would describe it as a mid to dark brown color with bronze colored eye pieces. Really nice looking combo. I didn't know the original version came in tan (?).

Either way, glad you enjoy them.

Mike

Mike

I find the optics are acceptable, but my eyes are not what they used to be. They appealed to me because of their weight/size. They fit my face and they are very well made. I had the upper hand over the sales clerk and the floor manager at LLBean. Both knew nothing about binoculars, so me knowing they had been in their binocular cabinet for a few years they really were caught of guard when I explained how old they probably were. After that convincing them they would never get that retail tag price of $1079 for these was pretty easy. Making a deal after that, they practically begged me for the sale. I will call Swarovski to find the manufacturing date.

Last edited:
Gcole,

Good move. I own both the original and new version in 8x30. The newer version is better optically but a new in the box original version like yours is well worth @ $650 and IMO the previous accessory package is better, especially the case, strap and rain guard. The new objective covers are the only improved accessory.

Hope you enjoy them.

Mike

Yes, the case along with the two straps are top notch.

Gwen:

It is quite easy to find the date of mfr. of any newer Swarovski binocular.
You just add 30 to the first 2 digits of the ser. #. So you have it, it would
be made in 2015, and that means it is a mid model.

The Cl is a very nice binocular, ergos. are very good and small, and I have
found it is one of the smallest, best ones out there, in this size.

It is a Swarovski, and that means it has the best coatings, and I find it very
bright and sharp.

I have one of the early ones 2011, I really enjoy it, it is the companion
light series, and a very nice one to have when travelling.

Enjoy in good health.

Jerry

Gwen:

It is quite easy to find the date of mfr. of any newer Swarovski binocular.
You just add 30 to the first 2 digits of the ser. #. So you have it, it would
be made in 2015, and that means it is a mid model. Jerry

Thanks Jerry for that information. I agree, the small size with its nice handling makes this a very nice traveling 8x power binocular. With a price that is very agreeable to many consumers.

Hey Beth,

You mention "tan color". Do you actually have the Africa edition or the Traveler tan color? I bought the Africa edition for my wife several years ago. I really like the color but would describe it as a mid to dark brown color with bronze colored eye pieces. Really nice looking combo. I didn't know the original version came in tan (?).

Either way, glad you enjoy them.

Mike

Mike

Mine is the traveller in tan or "sand" color (light brown).

I find the optics are acceptable, but my eyes are not what they used to be. They appealed to me because of their weight/size. They fit my face and they are very well made. I had the upper hand over the sales clerk and the floor manager at LLBean. Both knew nothing about binoculars, so me knowing they had been in their binocular cabinet for a few years they really were caught of guard when I explained how old they probably were. After that convincing them they would never get that retail tag price of $1079 for these was pretty easy. Making a deal after that, they practically begged me for the sale. I will call Swarovski to find the manufacturing date.

Yep, I too like it more for the lightweight, ergonomics and beautiful build quality.

Mine is also 2015 production date.

You got an awesome deal.

Yep, I too like it more for the lightweight, ergonomics and beautiful build quality.

Mine is also 2015 production date.

You got an awesome deal.
I was not really looking for another pair of Binoculars. I just happened by the locked glass case where they were sitting in their opened box. I happened to remember some of the history/model background I had read in the Swarovski section and right away I knew they were outdated old stock. Everything else just fell into place, especially with the LLBean employees being dumber than a box of rocks when it came to Binoculars.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back