• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A fly for ID (1 Viewer)

Sharpbill

Can anyone put a name to this? Photographed on LLyn Peninsular and it almost seemed to jump as it flew short distances from rock to bramble.

Thanks John

Attachments

• IMG_2217a.JPG
    IMG_2217a.JPG
    412.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2219 (Edited2).JPG
    IMG_2219 (Edited2).JPG
    232.1 KB · Views: 25
It's a female Robberfly (family Asilidae); can't be reliably done to species from photo. Could be Dune Robberfly Philonicus albiceps perhaps?

RB

It's a female Robberfly (family Asilidae); can't be reliably done to species from photo. Could be Dune Robberfly Philonicus albiceps perhaps?

RB

I would agree with Philonicus albiceps, combination of all black legs and white bristles on legs does not seem to be case in any other species I know.

Thanks RB & Ficedula,
I took the photograph in sand dunes at Porth Neigwl so Philonicus albiceps is a good call. I have just checked the NBN atlas and it has already been recorded from very close to my location.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back