• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

sadiecoatsae (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Just to start with no significant news on the key entry:

Sadie L. Coats (fl. 1985) US ornithologist (subsp. Myiophobus roraimae).

For sure dead March, 4. 1991 here.

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds has her as fl 1930 - c. 1990

Maybe someone can add more details. According here p. 83 she had an Ph. D. Does anyone know where and when she made her thesis?

As well Sadie seemed to be married with Dr. Gareth Nelson here.

When Sadie Coats, Nelson's wife, wrote to Croizat to ask permission to visit him while they were in Venezuela collecting, Croizat wrote to inform her that he did not care to receive Dr. Gareth Nelson.

=>Léon Croizat (1894-1982)
=> husband Gareth Jon Nelson (1937-) here.

P.S. As Mercedes S. Foster wrote as well on The birds of Cerro de la Neblina, Territorio Federal Amazonas, Venezuela I am confused about her name. Her Ph. D. thesis was Molt-breeding overlap in birds here as Mercedes Foster McDiarmid. Was she married at that time? Not mentioned in Wikipedia. Most likely married with Roy Wallace McDiarmid. Here as Mercedes Suarez Forster. So mercedesfosterae might need an update. Her CV here.

Last edited:
I got a mail from her daughter.

Sadie Louise Coats, December 7, 1940 - August 27, 1991

Take it for what's worth. End of this thread from my side.

• Sadie's (Roraiman) Flycatcher Myiophobus roraimae sadiecoatsae (DICKERMAN & PHELPS Jr, 1987 (Note: OD* unseen by me)

Well done Martin! Coats was just about hopeless to search for (at least with Google). I just ended up in a myriad of jackets, puffers, parkas and (tailored) coats. ;)

However, just for the fun of it (and as I already wrote it) ...

In the Grapevine (from back in 1984), published by the American Museum of Natural History [where Sadie Coats worked, at the Department of Ornithology], the Neblina Expedition was/is mentioned, here.

And here (from September 1983), we find pictures of Sadie (celebrating the AOU centennial), all dressed up ... as a Great Auk!

The picture by-line gives a (possibly crucial) detail [at least prior to your latest posts in this thread]: "... ornithologist and wife of Gareth Nelson, curator and chairman o[f the] Department of Ichtyology" ... which, most likely, ought to be this guy. Or here, retired in 1998. I was just about to suggest you to send him an email, but no longer required. Thanks to you.

:t:

Björn

*Dickerman, R. W., & W. H. Phelps, Jr. 1987. Tres nuevos atrapamoscas (Tyrannidae) del Cerro de la Neblina, Territorio Amazonas, Venezuela. Boletin de la Sociedad Venezolana de Ciencias Naturales 41: pp. 27–32. [Holotype: AMNH 816778. M. Valley north base Pico Cardona, Cerro de la Neblina, Territorio Federal Amazonas, 22 March 1984, coll. Robert W. Dickerman, field no. 17109.]

P.S. As Mercedes S. Foster wrote as well on The birds of Cerro de la Neblina, Territorio Federal Amazonas, Venezuela I am confused about her name. Her Ph. D. thesis was Molt-breeding overlap in birds here as Mercedes Foster McDiarmid. Was she married at that time? Not mentioned in Wikipedia. Most likely married with Roy Wallace McDiarmid. Here as Mercedes Suarez Forster. So mercedesfosterae might need an update. Her CV here.

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
MacConnell's Flycatcher ssp. Mionectes macconnelli mercedesfosterae Dickerman &W. H. Phelps Jr, 1987 [SII Mionectes macconnelli roraimae]
Mercedes S. McDiarmid née Foster (b.1942) is a research zoologist with the USNM, at the Patuxent Research Center. The University of California awarded both her bachelor's and master's degrees and the University of South Florida, Tampa her doctorate (1974). After teaching at the University of South Florida and the University of California, Berkeley, she joined the Museum Section of the US Fish and Wildlife Service, at the USNM, Washington, DC, as a research zoologist and Curator of Birds (now Patuxent Research Center). She has published many papers and longer works including (with others): Neotropical Ornithology (1985). She and close collaborator Roy McDiarmid co-wrote 'Additions to the reptile fauna of Paraguay with notes on a small herpetological collection from Amambay' (1987). An amphibian is also named after her.

The Key to Scientific Names
Dr Mercedes Suarez Foster (b. 1942) US ornithologist, conservationist (syn. Mionectes roraimae).

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back