• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sunflower seeds. (1 Viewer)

Bird and squirrel lover.
Do they sell just the seeds, without the shells? I have 6 resident squirrels that tear through my sunflower seeds, which is fine by me, but the mess that the shells leave is ridiculous. Sadly if they do sell just the seeds I am sure the cost is a lot more than $5 a 25lb bag.

Yeah, the cost is definitely more than $5 for 25 lbs. ;) I buy my shelled hearts/chips at Wal-Mart (when they bother to have it in stock), and it's still $5.87 for a 5 lb. bag. Still, there's so much less waste and clean-up, and they "hopper" through the feeders easier than the in-shell black-oil seeds, that the cost is well worth it to me. I do put a few in-shell seeds on the ground for the bigger-beaked seed-eaters, but only a couple handsful every once in a while depending on who's in the yard. I've also found that using shelled seeds keeps the squirrels from coming into the yard as frequently. They love in-shell sunflower seeds, black-oil or striped.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back