• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of Brazil (1 Viewer)

canutus

Hi,

I want to know if someone had the posibility of seeing the new Birds of Brazil book by Sigrist. I am evaluating the possibility of buying one as most of argentinian bird also occure in Brazil. It costs more than us$ 100, so It would be nice having the opinion of someone who had actually read the book before spending that amount of $$.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Cristian

canutus said:
Hi,

I want to know if someone had the posibility of seeing the new Birds of Brazil book by Sigrist. I am evaluating the possibility of buying one as most of argentinian bird also occure in Brazil. It costs more than us$ 100, so It would be nice having the opinion of someone who had actually read the book before spending that amount of $$.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Cristian

Hi Cristian, this is a rather tardy reply. But I only just bought this book when NHBS advertised it. It was VERY expensive buying it that way. But it is a very large book with, apparently, only 1500 copies. So that adds to the price. I mainly bought the book for its artwork. But the fine plates should be a good base for a field guide, just as many other publishers have done. I have not had time to study the book thoroughly. But while most birds are depicted in a most useful manner, some seem to be a bit odd. Among those that struck me particularly was a b&w illustration of a common gallinule (moorhen) in the extensive introductory section. It was only the swimming bird (actually the easiest one to draw) that was odd looking, the other illustrations, such as the same species walking, were just fine.
There is a Brazilian website (in Portugese) that shows a bit about what to expect in this book:

http://www.avisbrasilis.com.br/pt/livroavesdobrasil.htm

It might, in fact, be possible, to get the book directly from Brazil via this address. A friend of mine has just ordered it, but he speaks the native language. But, then, it might be worth a try. And it would certainly be a much cheaper way to get it.

Last edited:
There is another web site that shows a number of books about birds of Brazil:

http://www.ao.com.br/livros.htm

Among those shown there, the book by Souza has also a brand new second edition in English (see e.g. http://www.nhbs.com/title.php?tefno=120173).
However, the first edition of this book has been notorious for the low quality of its illustrations. And the one plate one gets to see on the ao website given above, is the same as in the first edition. Thus, the claim about new plates certainly does not mean that all the illustrations have been redone.

Swissboy said:
There is another web site that shows a number of books about birds of Brazil:

http://www.ao.com.br/livros.htm

Among those shown there, the book by Souza has also a brand new second edition in English (see e.g. http://www.nhbs.com/title.php?tefno=120173).
However, the first edition of this book has been notorious for the low quality of its illustrations. And the one plate one gets to see on the ao website given above, is the same as in the first edition. Thus, the claim about new plates certainly does not mean that all the illustrations have been redone.

Robert,
The second edition of the Souza is just as bad as the first. Besides the Sigrist book there is another one that should be coming out and which is being talked about positively (forget the name I will have to search some of my e-mail corrispondence). But, even this other book is a tome, not a Field Guide. Unfortunately, the best that can still be done is to make up one's own Field Guide using lots of different sources.

cuckooroller said:
Besides the Sigrist book there is another one that should be coming out and which is being talked about positively (forget the name I will have to search some of my e-mail corrispondence). But, even this other book is a tome, not a Field Guide. ..

You probably mean this one:

Birds of Brazil
Kevin Zimmer and Andrew Whittaker
Princeton University Press

It has been mentioned in the parallel thread. Too bad if this is also not suitable for the field. But I suspect that these publishers have found out - with the various books on India and Africa - that it pays to publish a large volume first, and to make a field guide out of it later. Most eager travelling birders then buy both versions! It would rarely work the other way around. Unless the color plates are of the quality like in the European "Collins".

Hi, I've just got "Birds of Brazil" by Sigrist.
It's great. I love this book. Some plates like Jacanas, shorebirds and some others are not so good though. This is definitely not a Field guide. But because of its size, it's easier to study on the desk.

Brazil is so far away from Japan. It's going to take more than 24 hours.
Someday I want to go there. Since then this book is Brazil for me.

By the way Swissboy, I've been using Dino head by Novoflex recomeded by you for almost 2 years. I simply love this head. It's so light and easy to use. I mount my 80mm scope but no problem. I don't know why they are not so popular.

If it were not for Birdforum ,I could'nt get this book and Dino. It's really nice to be here.

Thanks,Katsu

Swissboy said:
You probably mean this one:

Birds of Brazil
Kevin Zimmer and Andrew Whittaker
Princeton University Press

It has been mentioned in the parallel thread. Too bad if this is also not suitable for the field. But I suspect that these publishers have found out - with the various books on India and Africa - that it pays to publish a large volume first, and to make a field guide out of it later. Most eager travelling birders then buy both versions! It would rarely work the other way around. Unless the color plates are of the quality like in the European "Collins".

hello

how do you know about the quality of the illustrations yet?

katsunori said:
...By the way Swissboy, I've been using Dino head by Novoflex recomeded by you for almost 2 years. I simply love this head. It's so light and easy to use. I mount my 80mm scope but no problem. I don't know why they are not so popular.

If it were not for Birdforum ,I could'nt get this book and Dino. It's really nice to be here.

Thanks,Katsu

Hello Katsu, thanks for the feedback. It is the same for me, I find a lot of useful info here on BF. The whole thing works on a give and take basis, and we all profit from this mutual sharing.
As for the Novoflex Dino: I think one reason why it is not more popular is its price. A second reason, then, is the fact that Manfrotto now has a cheaper alternative that is not much heavier any more. I fully agree that the Dino is a fine piece. I also love it for its elegant craftsmanship. It keeps serving me very well. And a number of my friends as well as my brother keep using it, too. But here in Switzerland we also seem almost the only ones who use it.

hello swissboy,

may i ask what manfrotto alternative to the novoflex are you refering to? i have not seen the novoflex here in the states and i imagine it might be non existent in south america. if i mention this is because i will be moving to sao paulo, brazil, in five months time and i worry about parts and service.

thank you,
sergio.

PS: i know this is the wrong thread but i see no other way to reply.

Swissboy said:
Hello Katsu, thanks for the feedback. It is the same for me, I find a lot of useful info here on BF. The whole thing works on a give and take basis, and we all profit from this mutual sharing.
As for the Novoflex Dino: I think one reason why it is not more popular is its price. A second reason, then, is the fact that Manfrotto now has a cheaper alternative that is not much heavier any more. I fully agree that the Dino is a fine piece. I also love it for its elegant craftsmanship. It keeps serving me very well. And a number of my friends as well as my brother keep using it, too. But here in Switzerland we also seem almost the only ones who use it.

schaves said:
i have not seen the novoflex here in the states.
Hi,schaves

You can find dino head from novoflex on here. http://www.bhphotovideo.com
Just enter "dino" and you will find it.

I think the alternative Swissboy refering to would be "Bogen / Manfrotto 700RC2 Mini Video Fluid Head" . And this one would be nice head, "Gitzo G2180 Series 1 Fluid Head ".
You can find some reviews on the forum I think.

Regards,Katsu

katsunori said:
Hi,schaves

You can find dino head from novoflex on here. http://www.bhphotovideo.com
Just enter "dino" and you will find it.

I think the alternative Swissboy refering to would be "Bogen / Manfrotto 700RC2 Mini Video Fluid Head" . And this one would be nice head, "Gitzo G2180 Series 1 Fluid Head ".
You can find some reviews on the forum I think.

Regards,Katsu

Thanks, Katsu, for having done the homework for me.
Yes, schaves, it is that Manfrotto head I was referring to. There is more discussion about the various models in the scope section. http://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=451
Just search for dino or Manfrotto RC.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back