• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dragonfly Book (1 Viewer)

brianfm

Botanical Birder
Hi

I am a recent convert to Dragonflies. How have I gone all these years without taking much notice? I have a basic fieldguide to British Dragonflies which has proven very usefull for id purposes, but I would like to read something with a little more depth to it on areas of biology and ecology. Anyone with any tips please?

Cheers.

Probably not quite what you're after but the new field guide to Dragonflies of Britain and Europe by Dijkstra and Lewington is not only worth getting as a field guide but also has a lot of information on ecology, habitats, sites etc. Not particularly a book to sit down and read but impressively detailed.

Thanks Andrew and Keith. In fact I have the field guide that Harry recommends Keith and agree it is very good. I went for that one rather than the one that covers Europe Andrew as I thought as beginner I might be a bit confused although I reckon on getting it in the near future I think. I take your point about it covering ecology etc in some depth and I best take a look at it. I just wondered if there was a book that could be recommended that covered such areas in even more detail.

thanks for the help.

brianfm said:
I just wondered if there was a book that could be recommended that covered such areas in even more detail.

If you want to spend the money, the best, and only book as far as I know, is

Dragonflies: Behaviour and Ecology of Odonata at £62.50

ISBN 0946589771

At 840 pages its not bad value per page. but it is serious text book so you need to work at reading it.

Graham

myotis said:
If you want to spend the money, the best, and only book as far as I know, is

Dragonflies: Behaviour and Ecology of Odonata at £62.50

ISBN 0946589771

At 840 pages its not bad value per page. but it is serious text book so you need to work at reading it.

Graham

Thanks Graham

One for the future I think so I will make a note of it. At the moment I am sticking to Dragonflies of the World/Jill Silsby £26 ISBN 056591654
It seems to give a good overview. More than the fieldguides but not too scientific. Lots of good photographs too.

Cheers

Last edited:
brianfm said:
Thanks Graham

One for the future I think so I will make a note of it. At the moment I am sticking to Dragonflies the World/Jill Silsby £26 ISBN 056591654
It seems to give a good overview. More than the fieldguides but not to scientific. Lots of good photographs too.

Cheers

I didn't know about this one, so just had a look at the table of contents on Amazon. It looks good. I'm tempted.

Graham

myotis said:
I didn't know about this one, so just had a look at the table of contents on Amazon. It looks good. I'm tempted.

Graham

Looking around, I think this book should be bought NOW if one wants it. The price at Amazon UK seems the best, by far. That is, I checked .com and .de, no more. But it looks like this book will soon be only available via left-overs or used?

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back