• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

January 2016 - Australia (1 Viewer)

Part II

Cirrhochrista caconalis (Pyraustinae) - Cirrhochrista is one of my favourite genus of Crambids and I have been hoping to catch caconalis since I first saw a photo of it; unfortunately this individual landed too far up the wall of the house to get any decent photos - standing on a ladder in torrential rain with lightening all over the place is not a good idea!
Crocidolomia pavonana (Evergestinae) - the first fresh male that I have seen
Glycythya leonina (Pyraustinae) - only the second time I have caught this very attractive Crambid
Hydriris ornatalis (Pyraustinae) - the more attractive of the two Hydriris species that i catch, the other being H.chalybitis
Imma loxoscia (Immidae) - not a common moth in my gardeb, have only seen this on a handful of occasions.

Attachments

• Cirrhochrista caconalis 26 01 16 (1).JPG
    Cirrhochrista caconalis 26 01 16 (1).JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 76
  • Crocidolomia pavonana male.JPG
    Crocidolomia pavonana male.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 71
  • Glycythyma leonina.JPG
    Glycythyma leonina.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 62
  • Hydriris ornatalis.JPG
    Hydriris ornatalis.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 64
  • Imma loxoscia 26 01 16 (3).JPG
    Imma loxoscia 26 01 16 (3).JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 74
Part III

Four new species for me from this week plus one that I have not as yet been able to confirm to species level:

Acontia crocata (Acontinae) - I am still checking this ID as this is quite a variable genus but this matches this species on the readily available literature
Brevipecten captata (Catocalinae) - a very attractive little moth, body length on more than 20mm
Lasiolopha saturata (Chloephorinae) - the vast majority of Australian Nolids are grey / brown with intricate patterns, attractive in their own right but not easy to separate with available literature; there are though a few colourful species such as this one!
Rhynchodontodes chalcias (Hypeninae) - there are two similar species but this seems to match chalcias
Targalla (Euteliinae) - there are several very similar species of Targalla and as yet I have not found a good match for this one, but i am still checking on BOLD!

Attachments

• Acontia crocata.JPG
    Acontia crocata.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 66
  • Brevipecten captata 26 01 16 (3).JPG
    Brevipecten captata 26 01 16 (3).JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 59
  • Lasiolopha saturata 26 01 16 (2).JPG
    Lasiolopha saturata 26 01 16 (2).JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 74
  • Rhynchodontodes chalcias.JPG
    Rhynchodontodes chalcias.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 71
  • Targalla spp.JPG
    Targalla spp.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 64
Part IV - the final up date for today, when I have finished processing photos I have several more interesting non-moth species that I will try and post before the end of the month if I have time.

Maurilia iconica (Chloephorinae) - to illustrate the comment I made in the previous post here is a less colourful Nolid, this is a worn example of this species.
Perixera spp (Sterrhinae) - this appears to be Perixera illepidaria BUT this would be a massive expansion from its known existing range (closest currently known population nearly 4000km away in Borneo). Unfortunately I had not realized the significance of this moth and it was not retained (nor ID'd in the field). I will keep the next one I see to try and get its ID confirmed.
Perixera spp (Sterrhinae) - a close up of the structure on the wing of the same moth. This is a male scent scale patch (androconial scales) for dispersion of pheromones, I have never seen such an obvious one before.
Green Tree Frog - these were new to the garden a month ago and now they seem to have pushed out the larger White-lipped Tree Frogs - I know only see the later at the tops of the trees in the garden
Taurella viridis - the fifth species of cicada that i have recorded in the garden this Wet.

Attachments

• Maurilia iconica 26 01 16.JPG
    Maurilia iconica 26 01 16.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 67
  • Perixera nr illepidaria (1).JPG
    Perixera nr illepidaria (1).JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 79
  • Perixera nr illepidaria (2).jpg
    Perixera nr illepidaria (2).jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 68
  • Green tree frog.JPG
    Green tree frog.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 62
  • Taurella viridis poss.JPG
    Taurella viridis poss.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 66
January is drawing to a close and all in all its not been too bad a month. I am hoping for an improvement over the next couple of months as the positive effects of all the rain we have had works through the system.
A four part installment today....
Choreutis periploca (Choreutinae) - a new member of this family for me, not as bright as some of the others but a very nice moth none the less.
Elusa semipecten (Hadeninae) - have not seen an Elusa for several months so was nice to find this on the wall.
Sauris spp (Larentiinae) - The closest match I can find for this is Sauris malaca, but as this would be a long way out of its published range it will remain as Sauris spp as I did not retain the specimen and so cannot get it dissected.
Sympis rufibasis (Catocalinae) - I do not see this very often so was nice to get a brief visit from it this week, although unfortunately it had gone before I could get a proper photo!
Trigonodes cephise (Catocalinae) - my first for this calendar year

Attachments

• Choreutis periploca 28 01 16 (1).JPG
    Choreutis periploca 28 01 16 (1).JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 70
  • Elusa semipecten 29 01 16 (2).JPG
    Elusa semipecten 29 01 16 (2).JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 59
  • Sariius sp nr malaca 29 01 16.JPG
    Sariius sp nr malaca 29 01 16.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Sympis rufibasis 29 01 16 (2).JPG
    Sympis rufibasis 29 01 16 (2).JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 71
  • Trigonodes cephise.JPG
    Trigonodes cephise.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 64
Part II

Catoria delectaria (Ennominae) - this is quite a large moth (wingspan 60-70mm) and being green I fell into the trap of assuming it was an Emerald (Geometrinae). Needless to say I could not find a match, it was only when I posted it on an Indo-Pacifc Moth Group as an as yet un-identified Aeolochroma species that I was corrected and told that it was not an Aeolochroma so I looked further...first impressions can be sooo wrong!
Cernia amyclaria (Oenochrominae) - this was new to me this month, have now caught it a couple of times
Dysgonia senex (Catocalinae) - must have been a fresh emergence of this species as I have been catching battered individuals recently but this is very fresh
Hypospila dichmotoma (Catocalinae) - my first of this species for several months
Ozola ANIC1 (Desmobathrinae) - a new "tribe / sub family" for me let alone a new genus. There are two currently described species in Aus but this does not match either, it is closest to species labelled ANIC1 on BOLD

Attachments

• Catoria delectaria 29 01 16 (1).JPG
    Catoria delectaria 29 01 16 (1).JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 75
  • Cernia amyclaria 28 01 16 (2).JPG
    Cernia amyclaria 28 01 16 (2).JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 65
  • Dysgonia senex.JPG
    Dysgonia senex.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 69
  • hypospila dochmotoma 29 01 16 (5).JPG
    hypospila dochmotoma 29 01 16 (5).JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 75
  • Ozola ANIC129 01 16 (3).JPG
    Ozola ANIC129 01 16 (3).JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 65
Part III

Aetholix flavibasalis (Pyraustinae) - my first of this species for several months, a slightly washed out individual.
Cenoloba ANIC1 (Tineodidae) - these false plume moths are as confusing as plume moths.
Orphanostigma angustale (Pyraustinae) - a new species for me
Plectophila spp (Xyloryctinae) - have sent pictures of this to a friend of mine who is an expert in this group.
Rehimena phrynealis (Pyraustinae) - not a common species here, I have only seen this a couple of times and on each occasion it has been in a position that does not allow me to get any decent photos

Attachments

• Aetholix flavibasalis.JPG
    Aetholix flavibasalis.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 48
  • Cenoloba ANIC1 29 01 16.JPG
    Cenoloba ANIC1 29 01 16.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 31
  • Orphanostigma angustale 29 01 16 (1).JPG
    Orphanostigma angustale 29 01 16 (1).JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 37
  • Plectophila spp.JPG
    Plectophila spp.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Rehimena phrynealis 28 01 16 (2).JPG
    Rehimena phrynealis 28 01 16 (2).JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 32
Part IV
Final post for today...

Hulodes caranea (Catocalinae) - only the second time I have seen this moth; I was out looking for snakes in Yorkeys where I live and found this just sitting on a palm tree, unfortunately did not allow me to get any better photos and flew off as soon as I took this one
Phazaca ANIC1 (Epipleminae) - have seen this as yet undescribed species a couple of times since December

Rhytiphora spp - a very attractive longicorn beetle that I see occasionally at the moth trap

Burying Mantis - aside from the small green garden mantids this is the commonest species that I see (sometimes there are several at the light). One of the key features is the pinkish eye but as these two photos show it really does depend on the angle of any additional light as these are both the same individual taken within seconds of each other but in one it has distinctly green eyes!

Attachments

• Hulodes caranea 29 01 16.JPG
    Hulodes caranea 29 01 16.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 36
  • Phazaca ANIC1.JPG
    Phazaca ANIC1.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Rhytiphora DF1 28 01 16 (1).JPG
    Rhytiphora DF1 28 01 16 (1).JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Burying mantis (1).JPG
    Burying mantis (1).JPG
    30 KB · Views: 42
  • Burying mantis (2).JPG
    Burying mantis (2).JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 45
A relatively quiet end to the month so just two parts today.

Cyclods spectans (Catocalinae) - one of my favourite moths so no apologies for posting another photo
Eudocima fullonia (Catocalinae) - my first Eudocima for several months, this is a nice fresh male, second picture shows the blue on the tips of his palps, a feature that occurs in several Eudocima species. This is a major pest on soft fruits!
Prionopterina tritosticha (Hypeninae) - a better specimen than I saw earlier in the month

Attachments

• Cyclodes spectans 31 01 16 (4).JPG
    Cyclodes spectans 31 01 16 (4).JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 32
  • Eudocima fullonia male 31 01 16 (8).JPG
    Eudocima fullonia male 31 01 16 (8).JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 35
  • eudocima fullonia.JPG
    eudocima fullonia.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 42
  • Prionopterina tritosticha 31 01 16 (2).JPG
    Prionopterina tritosticha 31 01 16 (2).JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 33
Part II

Theretra oldenlandiae (Sphingidae) - a nice Sphingid to end the month with
Desudaba - a Lantern Bug Planthopper, I see this quite frequently but I am still looking for a definitive ID

Ornate Burrowing Frog - a recently emerged individual, one of two in the hoards of toadlets...

The forecast for February is for a monsoonal trough to move through se we could be in for some very wet and windy weather.....

Attachments

• Theretra oldenlandiae 31 01 16 (1).JPG
    Theretra oldenlandiae 31 01 16 (1).JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 36
  • Desudaba sp 31 01 16 (3).JPG
    Desudaba sp 31 01 16 (3).JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 39
  • ornate b frog.JPG
    ornate b frog.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 33
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back