• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Comma Butterflie (1 Viewer)

coaltit

United Kingdom
This may or may not get any feedback but could anyone please tell me is it Unusual to get Butterflies that will sit out in the open in rain I ask this because yesterday in the garden I had a Comma butterflie do just this with his wings tightly closed most unusual shape to look at at the time, during sunny days he has been useing this patch for his territory and looking to drive other males away while waiting for femails but I was still surprised to see him out in heavy showers thinking his wings would get damaged obviously his Instinct is quite strong to stay out in the open (which is probabily the answer to my question)..

This may or may not get any feedback but could anyone please tell me is it Unusual to get Butterflies that will sit out in the open in rain I ask this because yesterday in the garden I had a Comma butterflie do just this with his wings tightly closed most unusual shape to look at at the time, during sunny days he has been useing this patch for his territory and looking to drive other males away while waiting for femails but I was still surprised to see him out in heavy showers thinking his wings would get damaged obviously his Instinct is quite strong to stay out in the open (which is probabily the answer to my question)..

Hi
I have been mad enough to go out in the rain but my observations are Butterflies seek shelter in the same situation I often finding them on the underside of leaves I do not think any Butterfly is mad enough to fly in rainfall let alone expect a willing Female to fly past

Its possible your Comma was caught short with low temperature and had its wings "stuck" together with water surface tension and it made the best option sit tight

A great observation
Steve

Last edited:
Hi
I have been mad enough to go out in the rain but my observations are Butterflies seek shelter in the same situation I often finding them on the underside of leaves I do not think any Butterfly is mad enough to fly in rainfall let alone expect a willing Female to fly past

Its possible your Comma was caught short with low temperature and had its wings "stuck" together with water surface tension and it made the best option sit tight

A great observation
Steve
Thanks steve for that I knew it was a special moment just pleased he did,nt get harmed.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back