• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ecuador Butterflies for ID (1 Viewer)

davidg

Apologies for the poor pictures (particularly the last two!) but can anyone ID these butterflies. Photos taken a few weeks ago near the Napa river in Ecuador.

Many thanks,

David

Attachments

• Butterfly-1a-Sacha-180218.jpg
    Butterfly-1a-Sacha-180218.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 18
  • Butterfly-2a-Sacha-180218.jpg
    Butterfly-2a-Sacha-180218.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Butterfly-3a-Sacha-180218.jpg
    Butterfly-3a-Sacha-180218.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Butterfly-4a-Sacha-180218.jpg
    Butterfly-4a-Sacha-180218.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Butterfly-5a-Sacha-180218.jpg
    Butterfly-5a-Sacha-180218.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 17
I'd say

1. Eurytides agesilaus Short-lined Kite Swallowtail

2. Eueides heliconius Small Flambeau Butterfly

5. Marpesia chiron Many-banded Daggerwing

A

Last edited:
Thanks Shane and Andy. I've posted 3 more below, if you can stand it! I suspect the yellow one is a rather better version of no 4 in my first post.

David

Attachments

• Butterfly Blue rainforest.JPG
    Butterfly Blue rainforest.JPG
    338.6 KB · Views: 44
  • Butterly - yellow Sacha.JPG
    Butterly - yellow Sacha.JPG
    247.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Heleconid Butterfly - Sacha.JPG
    Heleconid Butterfly - Sacha.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 35
1 Is a Hesperid or Riodinidae, related to our Skippers but there are hundreds in the Americas!

Possibly Telemiades nicomedes

These are three of the toughest groups possible...............

A

Last edited:
1 is actually a Doxocopa (Nymphalidae) possibly Doxocopa agathina, but there are other similar species. 2 is a Phoebis (Pieridae) possibly P philea.

What resources are you all using to ID these Butterflies? Field guides for S American Butterflies appear to be very few. I have not come across any easily searchable websites?

What resources are you all using to ID these Butterflies? Field guides for S American Butterflies appear to be very few. I have not come across any easily searchable websites?

Yo'u're right, without spending a lot of money of separate volumes such as those for Venezuela, there's isn't much available.

I use this as a guideline for families https://www.amazon.co.uk/Butterflie...&sr=1-1&keywords=butterflies+of+South+America then simply trawl the net for e.g Hesperid, Ecuador until I find a match. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't!

A

Having had an interest in butterflies for over 50 years now, I'm usually able to identify to family at least. Often I can ID to genus, sometimes I actually know the species. For the rest google comes in handy. For instance I was 90% sure it was a Doxocopa but I had no idea which species. Searching Google images with "doxocopa ecuador" got me a little closer. Google search terms like "butterflies of ecuador" would get you off to a good start.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back