• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

West Donegal (1 Viewer)

Tory Island 3rd November

50 species.An early boat home ment I only had 4 hours on the island today. The winds looked good (strong south easterlies with rain) but despite this there was only one warbler to be found. A Pomarine Skua off the boat and a first winter Glaucous Gull eating a dead seal in the harbour were a good start. Anton Meenans was quiet with just a few Redwing on the wires. Heading east, close to Eamon Meenans , I flushed a Woodcock from a drain and 5 Chaffinch both new species this year. I made it to the east end without any further birds and was cursing the lack of migrants when I flushed what sounded like a robin from the base of a green shed. The bird flew low behind me and pitched up in the open about 15 feet away. I turned my head to see what it was, and it did not disappoint. A Little Bunting :eek!:was sitting there for all to see (well, just me). A tick and the bird of the autumn for me on Tory. The rest of the island was quiet. The shoveler is still on the lake at the east end and Wigeon and Merlin were new for the year, at the lake at the west end.

Boat trip

Gannet 7
Shag 5
Cormorant 1
Pomarine Skua 1
Kittiwake 12
Razorbill 12
Black Guillemot 1
Guillemot 4
Great Northern Diver 5
Herring Gull 2

Tory Island

Mute Swan 2
Grey Heron 3
Mallard 30
Teal 6
Wigeon 2
Shoveler 1
Tufted Duck 4
Oystercatcher 25
Ringed Plover 30
Golden Plover 3
Lapwing 25
Redshank 5
Curlew 8
Woodcock 1
Snipe 12
Turnstone 75
Merlin 1
Peregrine 1
Buzzard 1
Glaucous Gull 1
Herring Gull 70
Great black backed Gull 8
Common Gull 16
Rock/Feral Pigeon 40
Meadow Pipit 10
Rock Pipit 30
Pied Wagtail 2
Wren 8
Blackcap 1
Song Thrush 5
Blackbird 15
Fieldfare 12
Redwing 50
Chough 1
Hooded Crow 3
Raven 1
Starling 150
Tree Sparrow 8
Goldfinch 12
Chaffinch 5
Little Bunting 1

Attachments

• Tory 3rd November 2011 004.jpg
    Tory 3rd November 2011 004.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 53
  • Tory 3rd November 2011 016.jpg
    Tory 3rd November 2011 016.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 66
  • Tory 3rd November 2011 018.jpg
    Tory 3rd November 2011 018.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
50 species.An early boat home ment I only had 4 hours on the island today. The winds looked good (strong south easterlies with rain) but despite this there was only one warbler to be found. A Pomarine Skua off the boat and a first winter Glaucous Gull eating a dead seal in the harbour were a good start. Anton Meenans was quiet with just a few Redwing on the wires. Heading east, close to Eamon Meenans , I flushed a Woodcock from a drain and 5 Chaffinch both new species this year. I made it to the east end without any further birds and was cursing the lack of migrants when I flushed what sounded like a robin from the base of a green shed. The bird flew low behind me and pitched up in the open about 15 feet away. I turned my head to see what it was, and it did not disappoint. A Little Bunting :eek!:was sitting there for all to see (well, just me). A tick and the bird of the autumn for me on Tory. The rest of the island was quiet. The shoveler is still on the lake at the east end and Wigeon and Merlin were new for the year, at the lake at the west end.

Boat trip

Gannet 7
Shag 5
Cormorant 1
Pomarine Skua 1
Kittiwake 12
Razorbill 12
Black Guillemot 1
Guillemot 4
Great Northern Diver 5
Herring Gull 2

Tory Island

Mute Swan 2
Grey Heron 3
Mallard 30
Teal 6
Wigeon 2
Shoveler 1
Tufted Duck 4
Oystercatcher 25
Ringed Plover 30
Golden Plover 3
Lapwing 25
Redshank 5
Curlew 8
Woodcock 1
Snipe 12
Turnstone 75
Merlin 1
Peregrine 1
Buzzard 1
Glaucous Gull 1
Herring Gull 70
Great black backed Gull 8
Common Gull 16
Rock/Feral Pigeon 40
Meadow Pipit 10
Rock Pipit 30
Pied Wagtail 2
Wren 8
Blackcap 1
Song Thrush 5
Blackbird 15
Fieldfare 12
Redwing 50
Chough 1
Hooded Crow 3
Raven 1
Starling 150
Tree Sparrow 8
Goldfinch 12
Chaffinch 5
Little Bunting 1

Great Find Peter!

Owen

Tory 8th November

45 species.Very few migrants about, less than 20 thrushes, just 2 finches. The boat was eventful with 2 Black throated Diver a Great Skua and a Little Auk close to the boat on the way over. An obvious increase in woodcock but a decrease in most other migrants despite the south east wind. Donal at the east end had 7 Greylag Geese on the lake on the 7th November

Boat trip

Gannet 15
Shag 10
Great Skua 1
Kittiwake 15
Razorbill 3
Black Guillemot 1
Guillemot 2
Little Auk 1
Great Northern Diver 5
Black throated Diver 2

Tory Island

Mute Swan 2
Whooper Swan 1
Mallard 30
Teal 6
Shoveler 1
Tufted Duck 3
Oystercatcher 20
Ringed Plover 15
Redshank 5
Curlew 4
Woodcock 3
Snipe 3
Turnstone 15
Purple Sandpiper 2
Kestrel 1
Glaucous Gull 1
Herring Gull 50
Great black backed Gull 7
Common Gull 12
Rock/Feral Pigeon 25
Meadow Pipit 3
Rock Pipit 20
Pied Wagtail 2
Wren 4
Song Thrush 1
Blackbird 9
Fieldfare 1
Redwing 5
Pheasant 2
Chough 1
Hooded Crow 5
Raven 1
Starling 100
Tree Sparrow 3
Goldfinch 1
Chaffinch 1

Attachments

• tory 9th november 018.jpg
    tory 9th november 018.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 55
White phase Snow Goose and up to five Tundra Bean Geese at Inch Island Lake over the weekend. Greylag, White-fronted, Pink-footed, Canada and Barnacle Geese also in the same flock.
Water levels at Blanket Nook and Inch Island Lake both very high with relatively little on them. Big numbers of Greenland White-fronts at Big Isle but just half a dozen Pink-feet with them.
Less than 50 Tufted Duck at Lough Fern and no geese and small numbers of duck at New Lake also.

Dermot

Attachments

• Bean 7.jpg
    Bean 7.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 64
  • Bean 3.jpg
    Bean 3.jpg
    361.5 KB · Views: 71
  • Snow Goose 2.jpg
    Snow Goose 2.jpg
    308.5 KB · Views: 63
  • Snow Goose 5.jpg
    Snow Goose 5.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 60
  • Inch.jpg
    Inch.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 72
Dermot,

Can't help but notice. In your last photo there are two sets of electricity transmission lines, neither appear to have warning 'flags'. Surely this must impact on swans and geese moving throughout this area? Is this not the case, or is it being ignored?

Twite.

There are alot of warning "flags" in the area in fairness to ESB (or is it Electric Ireland now?) but it's a huge spot with miles upon miles of electricity lines. I have to say I haven't seen many bird strikes in the area in the last few years.
I know from dealing with ESB down here in Galway that they are always eager to minimise bird strikes by putting up the little flags. Alot of the time the wind can shift them and bunch them all at one end of the line though.
Ralph Sheppard had a count of 1850 Whooper Swans, 981 Greylag, 2 Bean, 5 White-fronted, 24 Pink-footed, 3 Barnacle Geese and 197 Canada Geese in the same field on 28th November. If the line was a significant problem it would become very clear very quickly with numbers like that coming and going everyday!

Dermot

There are alot of warning "flags" in the area in fairness to ESB (or is it Electric Ireland now?) but it's a huge spot with miles upon miles of electricity lines. I have to say I haven't seen many bird strikes in the area in the last few years.
I know from dealing with ESB down here in Galway that they are always eager to minimise bird strikes by putting up the little flags. Alot of the time the wind can shift them and bunch them all at one end of the line though.
Ralph Sheppard had a count of 1850 Whooper Swans, 981 Greylag, 2 Bean, 5 White-fronted, 24 Pink-footed, 3 Barnacle Geese and 197 Canada Geese in the same field on 28th November. If the line was a significant problem it would become very clear very quickly with numbers like that coming and going everyday!

Dermot

Thanks for that info Dermot. Good to know it's nowhere as much of a problem as I expected.

Very impressive numbers too.

All the best,

Twite.

Dermot

Totally concur Dermot, be there quite regularly and have never noticed it as a problem.Try the stout in the 19th hole in Bridgend, lovelyB :)

Great report Peter. I did not make it out to Tory in 2011. Hope to visit in the Spring.

Richard

Last edited:
Tory 25th february

I was out on Tory Island yesterday. I thought there might be some white winged gulls around. Not a single one....
The best were 10 Purple Sandpiper in the harbour, 2 Greylag Geese at the east end and 3 Eider just outside the harbour.

On the way home I stopped off at Big Isle outside Letterkenny. Lots geese present (mainly Greylag and Greenland white fronts) which included 2 Pink footed Geese and 4 Tundra Bean Geese.

I was out on Tory Island yesterday. I thought there might be some white winged gulls around. Not a single one....
The best were 10 Purple Sandpiper in the harbour, 2 Greylag Geese at the east end and 3 Eider just outside the harbour.

On the way home I stopped off at Big Isle outside Letterkenny. Lots geese present (mainly Greylag and Greenland white fronts) which included 2 Pink footed Geese and 4 Tundra Bean Geese.

Peter how long does the ferry take to Tory ? I believe there is a fast ferry as well as a normal one? Really want to visit the Island this month, after two great tours of Aranmore and Rathlin last year.

Peter how long does the ferry take to Tory ? I believe there is a fast ferry as well as a normal one? Really want to visit the Island this month, after two great tours of Aranmore and Rathlin last year.

It takes 1 hour 45 minutes from Bunbeg leaving at 8.45 arriving at the island at 10.30. It leaves from Tory and goes to Machaire Rabhartaigh and leaves here again for Tory at 11.30 (it takes 45-60mins).

http://www.toryislandferry.com/AmchlrTimetable.htm

You need to ring the day before to check if the ferry is going as its frequently canceled during rough weather and the departure time can change if the tide is low and the boat cant get out.

If you do go I would appreciate if you could make a note of numbers of common birds you see or anything rarer! If you post your sightings here or email them to me I can include them in the next Tory report.

I think the fast ferry only goes in good weather/summer time, but it would be advisable to check with the operator.

Peter

Last edited:
It takes 1 hour 45 minutes from Bunbeg leaving at 8.45 arriving at the island at 10.30. It leaves from Tory and goes to Machaire Rabhartaigh and leaves here again for Tory at 11.30 (it takes 45-60mins).

http://www.toryislandferry.com/AmchlrTimetable.htm

You need to ring the day before to check if the ferry is going as its frequently canceled during rough weather and the departure time can change if the tide is low and the boat cant get out.

If you do go I would appreciate if you could make a note of numbers of common birds you see or anything rarer! If you post your sightings here or email them to me I can include them in the next Tory report.

I think the fast ferry only goes in good weather/summer time, but it would be advisable to check with the operator.

Peter

Thanks very much Peter, much appreciated.If i do go i will certainly post my sightings on here.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back