• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Butterfly survey techniques (1 Viewer)

dantheman

Bah humbug
Just wondering if someone can summarise/point me in the right direction. Basically got two c.3 acre fields to survey - pasture + the hedgerows.

Heard of butterfly transects, but what does that entail? What technique should I use to reach an approximate population density for the site (I could work out my own methods, but would be nice to do it in a manner that others have used before/be comparable).

Cheers, Dan

Cheers, kind of adapted the technique directly, presumably as others would do and a one off at least.

Did a reasonably intense walk around the perimeters and a sample cross-section of the fields concerned. Based on butterflies that were observed on or flying from 5m either side of my route, recorded as follows -

22nd July.

Field 1 (3.5 acres) late afternoon sunny, strong breeze

Trackway (overgrown thistles and bramble really!) - 100m
Comma 5
Meadow Brown 12
Peacock 2
Red Admiral 1
Gatekeeper 7
Large White 1
Ringlet 9
Small Skipper 5

Perimeter (Rank grass/Blackthorn/Bracken/Bramble/Thistle) 650m

Comma 2
Meadow Brown 15
Gatekeeper 2
Ringlet 19
Small Skipper 11
Large Skipper 3
Small Tortoiseshell 4
Painted Lady 1

Open field (Rank grass; cocksfoot etc) 500m

Meadow Brown 12
Peacock 1
Ringlet 5
Small Skipper 1
Small Tortoiseshell 1

Field 2 (2.5 acres) Intermittent cloud and sun

Perimeter and centre - mix as above with willow, cultivated areas etc 1000m total

Gatekeeper 5
Meadow Brown 12
Comma 4
Small Tortoiseshell 2
Ringlet 7
Peacock 2
Red Admiral 3
Small Skipper 4

The above indicates what I recorded - and would allow a reasonable density calculation if so desired. Nothing rare or unusual, but certainly a higher number of butterflies than normally encounter when out and about.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back