• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Long-tailed Blues - Sussex (1 Viewer)

lewis20126

I only picked up on these last week and finally got to see 1-2 males today at the Brighton Racecourse site. I guess most people saw them in Kent or Sussex in 2013 so not as much interest as there might have been?

Anyway many thanks to Mark Colvin (who found the first male today) and all the Sussex butterfly people for their help:

http://markcolvin.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/eye-of-newt-and-toe-of-frog.html

I found it hard to get enough depth of field for the open-winged insect, but these are acceptable - I'm sure there are better.

cheers, alan

Attachments

• ybw1 (1 of 1)-8 (2) - Copy.jpg
    ybw1 (1 of 1)-8 (2) - Copy.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 84
  • ybw1 (1 of 1)-9 - Copy.jpg
    ybw1 (1 of 1)-9 - Copy.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 77
I'd give almost anything to see these guys in the UK, but I'm not there right now so that isn't much help :t:

They cannot survive the winter in the UK but go through a breeding cycle in a little over a month. The best hope next year is another invasion and subsequent breeding, as in 2013 and 2015.

cheers, alan

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back