• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Helm Guides (1 Viewer)

Motmot

Eduardo Amengual
I´ve been offered some Helm id guides and would like your opinion on them. Thanks in advance!
Pipits and Wagtails
Thrushes
Owls of the World
Gulls of Europe, Asia and N America

I love Helm books...

Pipits and Wagtails - Amazing
Thrushes - Amazing
Owls of the World - haven't got
Gulls of Europe, Asia and N America - Those in the know say it's still riddled with mistakes and thus not that reliable. Still nothing else is available at the moment as good as it, so well worth getting as well.

Anyone know if any more of these are in the pipeline? - they were really churning them out for a while, but it seems to have all gone a bit quiet now.

chats is in pipeline too

babblers which a Norwich friend was working on got shelved - it would have been a blinding book - the worlds babblers, laughingthrushes etc.... maybe one day it will be resurrected.

well worth purchasing - many now going cheap on Amazon i think

Tim

Pipits and Wagtails - FANTASTIC
Thrushes - Very nice
Owls of the World - not got
Gulls of Europe, Asia and N America - brilliant but flawed.

Shame they shelved the Babblers and Laughingthrushes, would have come in extremely handy here in Vietnam.

Yes Hanno

It was Craig Robson working on it so you can bet it would have been a very good treatment. I remember watching him reorganising trays of specimens and picking out incorrectly labelled stuff! It was remarkable; made me realise how little i know. Some of the plates were stonking. I went to Tring with a friend who was doing the Fire-tailed Myzornis plate and handled some specimens of that species. A weird feeling to have such an incredible bird right there in front of you. Still not seen one!

Any idea why it was shelved? - I'd have thought that would be a popular title.

Also, Tom, do you know if the Larks one will be a whole world job or just Western Pal or something like that (like the Pipits one was, I think?)

I should think writong an authorative guide on the Babblers and Laughingthrushes would be major work. Also, the demand for that book might not be as high as you think, I should assume that titles with WP birds, where the majority of the birders are, sell much better. Still a bloody shme, maybe we should get a campaign going to make Helm reconsider.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back