• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

October Moths (1 Viewer)

;)

Trap is on ... we'll see. Of course with less cloud/rain the temp drops and the moon plays a bigger role, but the weather has been pretty relentless the last few weeks.

I trapped on Tuesday night, the first dry night for a week. I got 24 Moths, half were Beaded Chestnuts. The remainder were 2 each of Spruce Carpet, Lunar Underwing and Barred Sallow and singles of Red-green Carpet, Dark Swordgrass, Chestnut(NFY),Green-brindled Crescent(NFY) and the best one a NFG Gem. One micro an Acleris sp.

Trap is on tonight but it's a little cooler.

Below Green-brindled Crescent and Gem.

Attachments

• P1260671.JPG
    P1260671.JPG
    228 KB · Views: 16
  • P1260670.JPG
    P1260670.JPG
    204.9 KB · Views: 12
08/10. A much better night for me, no rain for a start. 25 moths of 13 species, with 4 garden ticks - Merveille du Jour (what a cracker), Grey Shoulder-knot, Chestnut and Green-brindled Crescent. The first two from the house wall; I believe M du J has a reputation for mostly being outside the trap. Had a couple of Beaded Chestnuts one of which was very plain and without help I wouldn't have realised what it was.
Garden list now 410 and hoping for 420 by year end.

Much better night here too - 26 of 11, but only one new garden tick - Turnip Moth. Plus one micro - LBAM

First geos other than CMCarpet for a couple of weeks, with Brimstone and Light Emerald.

Not so good here, below 5*C last night. Just 10 moths.
3 Black Rustic and Green-brindled Crescent, 2 Beaded Chestnut and Chestnut plus Acleris Variegana.

Also a Hummingbird Hawk-moth in the rain just now.

Full list from last night -

Feathered Ranunculus 7
Lunar Underwing 6
Black Rustic 3
Brimstone 2 (fresh)
Large Yellow Underwing 2
Light Emerald 1 (fresh)
Rosy Rustic 1 (fresh)
Beaded Chestnut 1
Common Marbled Carpet 1 (worn)
Small Square Spot 1 (worn)
Turnip Moth 1 NFY (fresh)

I trap every Friday night as part of the Garden Moth Scheme, unless the weather is really bad, then I'll trap on the Saturday night instead. Tonight isn't looking great according to the forecast, but I'll decide later as the forecast is often wrong here.

My first Black Rustic was the highlight of last night's catch, Blair's Shoulder-knot & Spruce Carpet the best of the rest, one Red-green & two Common Marbled Carpets the rest of the rest.

Attachments

• IMG_6911.JPG
    IMG_6911.JPG
    174.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_7024.JPG
    IMG_7024.JPG
    208.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_6981.JPG
    IMG_6981.JPG
    356.4 KB · Views: 21
09/10. Very cold by midnight but glad I did four hours as 2 new for garden added - Red-green Carpet and Barred Sallow. 11 moths of 7 species overall. Black Rustic 2, Merveille du Jour, Lunar Underwing 3, Deep-brown Dart and Setaceous Hebrew Character 2.
I like these autumn moths, they are very beautiful.

The weather forecast apps aren't too good down here either Earthdragon64. Often says dry and it rains.

Back to more normality - 12 of 6 species

SHCharacter 1
Black Rustic 1
Feathered Ranunculus 1
Large Yellow Underwing 3
Lunar Underwing 3
Beaded Chestnut 3 (all looking quite different)

Feels very much 'same old, same old' here. Have trapped 14 times since 19th September and only added 2 new species - Beaded Chestnut and Turnip Moth. All these new exotic autumn species are keeping well away!

Last edited:
Got reasonably excited this morning when checking the trap - first 'orange-winged' Common Marbled Carpet and Willow Beauty (first since mid August) on the outside, with a total of 9 species on or around the trap. But hardly anything inside it when opening up.

23 of 9

Last edited:
Rained out last night. Met Office app said dry/cloudy but it poured down so I had to take the trap in. Result - one Deep-brown Dart.

After a couple of nights that were just too wet for trapping, I finally did my GMS trapping last night. The temperature dropped to 6.5C, so only 2 moths. One was a Green-brindled Crescent, the other a Juniper Carpet, the first of the year.

A tidy 21 moths last night, of 7 species (with one as yet unidentified over on the ID sub-forum). Ten Common Marbled and five Red-green Carpet accounting for the bulk of them, then there were singles of Beaded Chestnut, Barred Sallow & Shuttle-shaped Dart. New species were November Moth agg (two of) and a lovely Figure of Eight.

Attachments

• IMG_7471.JPG
    IMG_7471.JPG
    293.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_7481.JPG
    IMG_7481.JPG
    336.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_7412.JPG
    IMG_7412.JPG
    348.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_7426.JPG
    IMG_7426.JPG
    361 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_7393.JPG
    IMG_7393.JPG
    282.2 KB · Views: 26
Managed four hours last night and had 14 of 8 species. Nothing new but enjoy these autumn moths. Think I might have missed an interesting one as it was high on a wall and gone by the time I got something to reach it with. Moths got were - Deep-brown Dart, Barred Sallow, Lesser Yellow Underwing, Setaceous Hebrew Character, Merveille du Jour, Lunar Underwing, Black Rustic and Beaded Chestnut. Southern Oak Bush-cricket was a garden tick bonus, attracted to the light; these seem to be spreading.
Looks like rain tonight and tomorrow will stop any trapping. Managed to clear out a corner in the outhouse for the traps tonight, so they are off the floor on shelves.

I like that figure of 8, nice.

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back