• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which of these is the best and why? (1 Viewer)

tazzilla

Meopta Meostar B1 10x42 HD $899.00

Pentax DCF ED 10x43 Binoculars $780.00

Nikon 10x42 Premier Binocular Refurbished $850.00

Brunton Epoch X105 10.5x43 Binocular $750.00

VORTEX OPTICS VIPER HD 10 X 42 BINOCULAR $599.00

Let me know which is best for birding and why. Thanks I am really torn between the Meopta HD and the Nikon and the Pentax.

Thanks Taz

Taz,

I don't know anybody who has tried all of the 10x bins you listed, particularly the Brunton's. But there are members who have tired or own some of the others and/or the 8x42 versions.

The only 10x bin you listed that I've tried was the Nikon. Sharp, contrasty image, with very good color saturation (though colors appear a bit too "warm," that is a tint or two lighter than what I see naked eye), and remember to "beware of the 'rolling ball'".

OMG, I just heard a scream coming from the bus garage. I think mooreorless just poked his eyes out! :)

Brock

Hmm, didn't know the Meostar HD was out yet.:eat:

I have Cabela's Euro HD which should be exactly the same (except for the armor) as the Meostar HD.

Pros:

Very, very, very, little chromatic aberration. I've used this bin during the winter under bleak skies and looking at large trees and crows flying around -basically worst case scenarios. But there wasn't any CA near center at all.
I think the control of CA is at least as good as the 8x42 FL or ZenRay 7x36 ED, and that's pretty good...

Another thing I like is the center field sharpness. It was definitely sharper than the Swarovision 10x50 or Steiner 10x44 Peregrine XP that I tried & my family noticed the same thing & we never agree...

Cons:
It isn't sharp to the edge. I'd say 70 percent of the image is sharp, then it falls off. But nonetheless I kept this bin over all others because the center field is out of this world sharp.

It also has about as much distortion as the Zeiss FL, meaning straight lines (like fence pickets, etc) will start to look curved not very far off center. For me, I'd rather take the curves and ditch the CA any day. :smoke:

Another thing about the Meostar HD/Cabela's Euro HD versus the older model is probably whiteness rendering. Most people said the non HD one had some yellow tint to the image, although not always a massive amount. Well it's just not there in the HD version & colors look just like they should.

Also, eye relief. If you wear glasses, you might want more than 15 mm. I think the Pentex is 17 and the Vortex 16.5, although who knows how much the eye cup design cuts off and shortens the useable amount. Both the Viper and the Pentax are normally quite well regarded, although their FOV might be a little narrower.

Last edited:
The premier and meostar are great, can't go wrong with either. Can't speak to the other models you mention. Happy hunting, let us know how it turns out.

The premier line is probably my favorite binocular line. I Never said the best, but favorite. The feel in the hand, the focus, and the easy walk in view. I really enjoyed them this weekend looking at osprey. All this for less than half the price of an alpha. To my eyes, the premier is an alpha.

Meopta is great buy as well, tough, balanced and nice view. Both are great choices in this price point.

Last edited:
I checked out the cabelas Euro HD and really liked them then got a chance a few weeks back to try a pair again still liked them well I would rather see the meopta on them than cableas so I purchased the Meopts HD 10x42 I don't think I could go wrong. I would have loved to find a second had pair but It was still a fair deal at $899 OTD. I can't wait to get them. I will post my findings after i have them for a few days. Taz

I checked out the cabelas Euro HD and really liked them then got a chance a few weeks back to try a pair again still liked them well I would rather see the meopta on them than cableas so I purchased the Meopts HD 10x42 I don't think I could go wrong. I would have loved to find a second had pair but It was still a fair deal at $899 OTD. I can't wait to get them. I will post my findings after i have them for a few days. Taz

Why would you rather see "Meopta" on them? For resale? That's probably the only difference.

What did you think of "Cupid's Bow" toward the edges? That turned me off.

While I appreciate low CA, I'd rather have low CA and moderate pincushion like the Nikon EDG and SE.

MeoptaMan (Meopta rep who posts on here occasionally) said that the Meopta 10x42 HD was due out last December. As far as I can tell, that didn't happen.

He also said there would be a Meopta 8x42 HD, but there was no time table set for that release.

Brock

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back