• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Just ordered... (1 Viewer)

dharma66

I’ve just ordered a pair of Hawke Sapphire 10x42.

This will be my first pair of binoculars, and I’ve made the decision based solely on internet reviews, as I haven’t managed to make the journey to my nearest stockist to try them.

Hopefully I’ll find them suitable! If they go down well with my wife, I’ll be ordering another pair shortly!

The should arrive Thursday...

The Sapphire's are a great binocular, as said above, incredible value for money. There is a brand new model out mind you... the Frontier ED X. Very similar in size but slightly lighter weight, better build and optical quality IMO. You won't find reviews of it yet, they only just hit the shops last week.

I returned to the Frontiers after owning two pairs of Sapphires. Although a step down in perceived spec on the Sapphires I prefer the warmer image I get in the Frontiers. But having owned now 14 pairs of Frontiers I might be slightly biased :)

I returned to the Frontiers after owning two pairs of Sapphires. Although a step down in perceived spec on the Sapphires I prefer the warmer image I get in the Frontiers. But having owned now 14 pairs of Frontiers I might be slightly biased :)

I have the Frontier ED 8x43 and found the just as good optically as the Sapphire when I tried them side by side. Should be lots of good deals on the Frontiers now that the new ED-X versions are out. Not saying that there is anything wrong with the Sapphires just that, in my opinion, they are not really any better than the Frontiers which are considerably cheaper (only £239 as opposed to £399).

IMHO

Nick

Last edited:
Don't be, they really are superb. The Sapphire to me offered a really crisp image but seemed colder, less colourful than the Frontiers. It's just a personal preference I have.

But then I thought the Sapphire ED offered a richer colour spectrum than the Frontier ED. Just personal preferrence. ;) For what it's worth, my choice would be the top hinge Sapphire. The ergonomics and distortion profile are more to my taste. There's nothing like a consensus! :-O

David

The Sapphires arrived today...but after dark, I so haven’t had chance to look further than the other side of the room!

I’m pleased with the ergonomics. Like I said, these are my first ever binoculars (well, except the plastic ones I had when I was about 8), so I had no idea how big or heavy these would be.

Turns out “not very” is the answer to that.

These are indeed the x42 “top hinge” rather than the x43 “open hinge”, and I find them very comfortable.

Whilst I’ve never owned bins before, I’ve looked through a few, so managed to sort out ipd and dioptre easily.

For me, the hinge is just the right amount of stiffness.

However, when Pat tried them, she couldn’t adjust them to her pupils, as she found the hinge too stiff to move! Other than that, she’s also happy with handling and weight. I think she just needs to learn not to fear them, and where and how to apply some force.

I’ll hopefully get some daylight time with these tomorrow (I’ll have to take them to the office, though, as it’s dark when I arrive and dark when I leave, still). But at least everything seems aligned and clean!

At the moment I’m happy, and we’ll be out with them this weekend for a proper test drive.

Been using these a couple of weeks now, and very happy. I can’t say I notice any kind of a erations at all...but then I’m not really sure what I’m looking for with anything other than CA. The only time I’ve noticed any CA is with a high contrast target that is out of focus. As soon as it comes into focus, it goes away.
I’m sure those with sharper eyes and more knowledge could see more than I am, it at the moment, these suit me very well indeed.
I might try the new Frontier ED X for the missus, so I can compare the two...

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back