• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (14 Viewers)

visited Holkham today, hoping to see the Yellow Browed Warbler. Didnt really know where to start though. Got chatting to man who lived local and he said that it had been associated with a flock of LT Tits, so I kept my eyes open. Spotted a Peregrine above my head, between the cottage and the second hide (cant remember the name)First for me. couldnt believe it! I always imagined these were only found off the most inhospitable rocky coasts, or up in the highlands. Not right on my doorstep! Finally located a Long-Tailed Tit flock. I must have scoured it for at least half an hour. Didnt see the YB Warbler (tho could easily have missed it. There were a lot of birds in there!!), but it did contain Coal, Blue, Great and LT Tits, Treecreepers, A willow Warbler, Goldcrests and a Firecrest (another first!). A very productive morning, in my opinion.

Arrived at Winterton to see Pallid Harrier at about 10am (later than I intended!) and parked in a layby on Collis Road (see Pallid Harrier thread for instructions how to get there) and walked up to where other birders were standing looking towards bonfire. I only had to wait about half an hour before I and several other people had distant but excellent views, what a beautiful bird. It was hidden from view for quite a while after that. A man across the other side on the top road had obviously then spotted it and several people where I was standing got in their cars to view it from the other side. I decided to stay where I was, which paid off a bit later! It favoured a particular tree for a very long time, until 2 or 3 crows pestered it to move. The Harrier then turned on one of the crows! It spent several times hidden out of view, but patience paid off as later on it moved a little closer to sit in a field and hopped several times, (like a magpie!) and gave everybody stupendous views of its head, it really was stunning, definately worth going too see. I will never foget it, I am tempted to go again, being as I still have the rest of my week's holiday!

I finally tore myself away at 1pmish and went on to Winterton Beach Cafe to look at the sea. I had sandwiches with me but fell for egg and chips sitting outside, while viewing, very close to shore: 2 black throated divers! 7 red throated divers! (showing off all their colours in the sunshine), 1 guillimot, and 1 razor bill. Another couple had also seen the 2 black throated divers and more red throated divers than I had! Can't remember how many they said now it think it was about 12/13! One of those stupid jet ski's had put all the divers up off the sea and they flew off west. I confess I have never actually been here and explored, only ever gone as far as Horsey Mill. The furthest I usually get is Cley, Salthouse. After pigging out on my low fat lunch :eat: I then ventured into the dune area towards the bushes/trees. I was absolutely amazed by the scene before me, an absolutely stunning place, goodness some birds must get missed here!!! Its VAST!!!!!! The immediate thought that ran through my head when I saw that massive valley of bushes and trees amongst the dunes was, that I wanted to sell up and move here! Didn't see hardly anything mind you, wrong winds, wrong time of day etc etc when I was walking through, only saw a few blackbirds eating berries, 2 garden tiger caterpillars, several small coppers, red admiral. I walked quite a way and then turned up to the dunes and walked back to cafe carpark along the cliffs and counted at least 25 swallows swirling round catching flies! (3pm) Back at the carpark, pied wagtails were bobbing about. A couple I had met earlier (viewing Pallid Harrier) were also in the carpark, they were on holiday in Hunstanton and were very excited when I told them I had heard somebody earlier saying the cranes at Waxham Barnes were in view, so I think they then went to see them! I hope they saw them. This was my next stop! On route to cranes, the car just veered off again (all by itself) to have another look at the harrier!! Did see it again but only briefly at 4.15pm and left it sitting in the bonfire heap! I hope it doesn't stay for bonfire night!!! A great spotted woodpecker landed on the telegraph pole behind us all. Left here and carried on to Waxham, just before, near a metal gate (left hand side of road) were 2 cars and scopes!!!! As I pulled in I couldn't believe my eyes, loads of cranes, feeding in the far side of field - 28 of them!!!! Took some distant shots. An extremely nice man asked me if I would like to borrow his 500mm lens - cool!!!!! I only have a 300mm lens and 1.4 x Kenko Converter making my lens 750mm for that shot!!! Won't be bril though as light was crap now at 5pm. Just after Waxham Barns I saw another 5 swallows. Stopped at Salthouse beach carpark to eat my lunchtime sandwiches and swil some tea down before a mini dusky walk along the top of the shingle and back. Heard and saw 6 sandwich terns. 9 Pied Wagtails on approach road and ended the day with at least 50+ Pink Feet going in the direction of Holkham!!! Drove home, got back 8.30ish. Now VERY VERY happy and sleepy :girl: :gn:

Tim - out birding this weekend?

Tim - fancy a pop at Blakeney and / or East Hills tomorrow or Sunday? Thinking its traditionally the rarest weekend of the year. Winds & weather not looking that great for rares until a bit later in the week, but could still be quite good for southern vagrants - I fancy Isabelline Shrike or something along those lines. OK, being a bit optimistic, but still need Richard's Pipit self-found. Play it by weather (Blakeney) and tides (East Hills), but thinking Blakeney earlier rather than later due to the fact that plantation will already have been scoured a hundred times if left until Sunday afternoon. Could always slack it off and do waders if its not looking like fall conditions.

Cheers

Ilya

Ilya Maclean said:
Tim - fancy a pop at Blakeney and / or East Hills tomorrow or Sunday? Thinking its traditionally the rarest weekend of the year. Winds & weather not looking that great for rares until a bit later in the week, but could still be quite good for southern vagrants - I fancy Isabelline Shrike or something along those lines. OK, being a bit optimistic, but still need Richard's Pipit self-found. Play it by weather (Blakeney) and tides (East Hills), but thinking Blakeney earlier rather than later due to the fact that plantation will already have been scoured a hundred times if left until Sunday afternoon. Could always slack it off and do waders if its not looking like fall conditions.

Cheers

Ilya

yes, for sure

we can discuss tonight...

later

Tim

Anybody in the Great Yarmouth area read the report in the Great Yarmouth Mercury regarding the sad news of the death of the Winterton Rose-Coloured Starling?

The report blames the birders, saying they were not interested that it was frail and did not care that it was chased to death. They were only interested in getting a look or a decent piccy. It also says there is a code of conduct to avoid harassing tired migrants.

Anyone have any thoughts, some people in Winterton told me it had a couple of large ticks on it. Does this mean it was doomed anyway or was it literally chased to death?

Any comments?

Binoculators said:
Anybody in the Great Yarmouth area read the report in the Great Yarmouth Mercury regarding the sad news of the death of the Winterton Rose-Coloured Starling?

The report blames the birders, saying they were not interested that it was frail and did not care that it was chased to death. They were only interested in getting a look or a decent piccy. It also says there is a code of conduct to avoid harassing tired migrants.

Anyone have any thoughts, some people in Winterton told me it had a couple of large ticks on it. Does this mean it was doomed anyway or was it literally chased to death?

Any comments?

Yep the reports are drivel. The bird was behind a large fence in a BT compound all day sunday, so nobody could chase it to death even if they wanted to!

Went to Snettisham Coastal Park yesterday (Sat 30th Sep). 2 lots of redwings 22 and then 15 over Snettisham Coastal Park between 7.45 and 1pm. 3 chiff chaffs + 2 blackcaps. Hundred + housemartins and same of swallows. Lots of goldfinches and Greenfinches. 1 whitethroat, 1 grey wagtail.1 Sparrowhawk, redshanks, lots of chaffinches, lots of reed buntings, green woodpecker, pinkfooted geese flew over, lots of robins, sandwich terns. Moved on to Holme, 4 gannets. Lots of swallows and martins and also 2 swifts (swifts not seen by me). Norfolkbirder (BF member, I am sure he won't mind me putting this) had a peregrine (late pm) at HBO as well. My mother saw a merlin by Holme Golfcourse early morning. Lots of social banter at Holme Bird Observatory today! Ended day with photographs of a complete rainbow over Redwell Marsh (from hide) coming down left side of Holme church - beautiful.

twitching behaviour

Going to get in there first Tim. When East Norfolk birding today and was confronted by uncharacteristically high numbers of birders, probably as a result of the Pallid Harrier. Aside from the usual muppets parking their cars and blocking the road etc, I witnessed some of the silliest twitching tactics in almost 20 years of birding. Some stupid numpty ran into a farmers private farm compound to get a three second view of the cranes (which were visible anyway from a short distance down the road). Understandably, the farmer wasn’t too happy. He came out and shouted at the person in question. Worse than that though, he then took his dogs and deliberately flushed the cranes to spite the birders. I just want to remind people birding in Norfolk that antagonising Norfolk farmers (most of whom own shotguns) is a very stupid thing to do. Not so much because you risk getting a backside full of lead shot (although you do!), but because they are likely to become a lot less bird friendly as a result. Wouldn’t overly surprise me if he took a shotgun to the cranes next….

Ho Hum

Had to go to Norwich the other day so took the opportunity to ride there & home again

On the way in there was definitely an Autumnal feeling ... C.40 PF Geese overhead near Acle, two seperate flocks of mixed Lapwings & Golden Plover and noticeably more Jays than i've seen for a long time. But then i hit a brick in the road which gave me a puncture in each tyre and caused my headlamp to fall off & break, which sort of put the dampeners on it all for a while.

During the late afternoon / evening i rid back again (with my tyres full of air again and a new headlamp) and had hoped to see one or maybe two harriers across Stokesby levels but perhaps its a little too early, though it was still interesting enough with a Sparrowhawk, one each of both Tawny & Barn Owls, a pair of (well, 2 anyway) Roe deer and amongst some of the fantastic cloud formations there was a great show of lightning inside one high towering cloud whichwas a real treat to watch as i pedalled along the deserted country lane.

Bats too, near Runham, small ones, but dunno what sort they were ... any ideas ?

Ilya Maclean said:
Aside from the usual muppets parking their cars and blocking the road etc, I witnessed some of the silliest twitching tactics in almost 20 years of birding.

What makes you think they were twitchers?

Hey Trevor, hope all is well with you...

We don't get many people usually

only when there's something to be seen

It was the Pallid this time, as Ilya mentioned, which is fair enough, nice bird n all that.

anti social, inconsiderate or just unthinking - it makes it difficult for the rest of us. I will try and have a word with the farmer when i can. He certainly wasn't in the mood today!

was the guy a 'twitcher'? mega short views then running off? Maybe. Maybe not. Prize idiot though.

Tim

Had a quick evening walk to RSPB Titchwell this evening and saw several Brent Geese feeding on shoreline!! There were about 10 I think. I was just about to count them, when a non-birder (with a small piece of paper in his hand!!!?) suddenly appeared from nowhere, he and his actions looked most peculiar, my instinct told me to march back asap, being as I was the only one up this end of reserve. Extremely bl**dy annoying when you feel like that. Oh, I counted 48 egrets roosting as well. End of my holiday :-C Oh well BIG high tides to look forward to this weekend :t:

Hi Tim, I'm fine and trust you are too. Spending more time in the 'field' these days, good time of year in Florida.

I thought your mate was suggesting the cranes were being twitched...silly me!

Don't get yourself shot by that nasty farmer; Birdforum wouldn't be the same without you ;)

Hi Trevor

Tim summed it up, but I think I recall him mentioning having gone for the Pallid Harrier earlier in the day. Fairly irrelevant whether he was or not, the main point being any birders of any sort should take care not to antagonise land-owners, particularly those who’s land is important for birds. Of course, apologies to the vast majority of birders who behave responsibly.

Cheers

Ilya

Last edited:
Hi Tim,

10 hours at Holme, Saturday - pretty slow with respect to migrants. :-C

40 Swallow & 2 Swifts (saw them well!!) 15+ Blackcap in the paddocks, few more "crests".

Had a Peregrine take a Redshank at Thornham channel, this was then taken from it by a ad female Marsh harrier which ultimately shared its stolen prize with 3 Crows!

12 Brents, 1 Spot Shank, slow westerly passage of 100 Mipits, 1 Grey Wag west, 1 Siskin (had 3 over the house this morning!).

Meeting Reepham birders in the Kings Weds night 815ish if you fancy a beer B :) (all birders welcome!), am in Notts this coming weekend for stag do, so you can guarantee some improvement in the birding!!

Ta Chris

Norfolk Trip Report

Hi All,

Had a fantastic trip in Norfolk, saw 9 *lifers* and all the other birders we met were very friendly and helpful. Will definately be back soon to explore some of the other sites. Thanks all for your help, thought I'd post a brief trip report.

Friday 29th Sept - Shortly after arriving in Wells and enjoying some fish n chips we set off to Titchwell RSPB. Quickly spotted our first lifer, a pair of *Marsh Harriers* over the saltmarshes. Also spotted a number of curlew and little egrets on the marshes. Plently of teal, shoveler, gadwall and other wildfowl on the pools. Spotted and easily identified a *Common Sandpiper* from the Island Hide redshanks also about. A sparrowhawk flew low over the reeds and avocets could be seen on the far side of the pool. On the walk down to the sea spotted a *Grey Plover* and many BT Godwit. On the beach there were plenty of oystercatchers, turnstones, a few brent geese and 2 more lifers - *YL Gull* and *Sanderlings* on the shoreline. Returned to the hide on the way back and was rewarded by a view of a perched peregrine on a post (pointed out by other birders) and a flock of circa 50 linnets which settled for a nanosecond in front of the hide before swirling off again. A pleasing start to the trip :girl:

Sat 30th Sept - By far the best day - the longest list and longest time spent out birding. Boarded Bishops Boats at Morston, plenty of swallows about. On the boat out to Blakeney spotted little egrets, redshank, brent goose, curlew, GC grebe, cormorants and assorted gulls. Blakeney Point - what a fascinating place! Very sad to have to leave after only 45mins and nearly missed the boat lol. Next time will spend the day out there. There was a *Guillemot* sat on the grass and our delight at viewing such a beautiful bird at close quarters quickly turned to dismay as we realised the bird was sick and couldn't fly away :C Flocks of wigeon and oystercatchers visable. Saw what I think were 2 winter plumage black terns flying at great speeds (not sure, not ticked). Saw an adult *Arctic Skua* sat on the beach. Went out on boat to visit the two seal colonys. Two arctic skuas chasing down a common tern for fish. On way back saw the additional birds of GBB Gull and female eider. Without a pause for breath we were off to Cley Marshes. Constant and stunning views of Marsh Harriers there, at one stage 4 at a time. On the brook up to about 8 Little Grebe - I know they're common enough but up until a couple of weeks ago I had found them extremely elusive, but now there were adults and juvs just a few feet away :) There were 3 ruffs and 100's of lapwings on the scrapes and assorted waterfowl. The best sightings were from the banks leading up to the beach this included many redshank, 10 or more avocets (one really close see pic), *Sandwich Terns* and also stunning views of a *Spotted Redshank* (see pic). To top all this off a peregrine came over the carpark whilst we were packing away :king:

Sunday 1st October - Sadly no lifers today, but our luck continued to hold out with the weather until mid afternoon. The weather had treated us well so we couldn't complain as the weather forcasts had been very grim. A bit more wind to bring unusual migrants would have been nice though o:D In the morning we did Holkham Pines. Saw several members of the tit flock - blue, great, coal, along with a female blackcap, wrens and goldcrests, allthough not their mate the yellow browed warbler lol. Little grebes, shelduck, teal etc on the pools. Overhead we saw 5 jays fly over, 2 sparrowhawks, a peregrine and numbers of migratory sand martins. From the hide we could see a pair of Marsh Harriers hunting and one stopped in a field with its kill. I was a bit confused about the geese though, had heard there were a big flock of pink-feet in the area, we could certainly see a few large flocks of geese (possibly a few hundred geese in total), but most of them were far off and it was a bad light to distinguish them from greylag. There were smaller groupings of geese in the foreground (in groups of 5-7ish) and these ones were definately greylag. Please could anyone tell me if the larger flocks were pink-feet or are there also large flocks of greylag in the area? This was around lunchtime. Went up to Holme Bird Observatory (NOA), however our luck ran out with the weather, the skys opened and there was some thunder and lightning. Didn't see much up there at all, but was interested to observe an almost completely leucistic female pheasant. Had an interesting chat with the staff there who told us about their work and the best times to come back. Had to leave then to drive back to brum as time was getting on and it was raining again. Last notable sighting was a rather windswept kestel on the drive out of Holme.

Attachments

• Guillemot1.JPG
    Guillemot1.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 281
  • BlakeneySeals.JPG
    BlakeneySeals.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 260
  • SandwichTernsCM.JPG
    SandwichTernsCM.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 264
  • Avocet1.JPG
    Avocet1.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 259
  • SRS3Resize.JPG
    SRS3Resize.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:
Norfolkbirder said:
& 2 Swifts (saw them well!!)

Are you sure that was 2 swifts!!!!!!!! :-O 3:)

Have a good weekend, you will miss the spectacular high tides!!! Never mind, I'll take some photos with a proper camera in your absence!!!! 3:)

Best Wishes Penny

Users who are viewing this thread

Back