• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7x recommendations (1 Viewer)

You want an excellent and extremely durable 7x42 with close focus? I think the Zeiss 7x42 FL is the obvious answer. It has a very easy and wide view, good feel in the hands, and the close focus is quite good for a bin in this category. Not only does it focus down to 6 feet, but just as importantly, the focus ratio is rapid and precise, which allows for combination butterflying+birding. Other 7x42 do not focus as close and/or they have very slow close focus which hinders its utility.

That said, if hand shake is a big problem, image stabilization may be the best solution and may supersede close focus concerns.

--AP
Where do you get one though? I haven't seen one for sale anywhere for a long time. I think everybody is hanging on to theirs. Here is a good review from scopeviews.

http://scopeviews.co.uk/Zeiss7x42FL.htm

Where do you get one though? I haven't seen one for sale anywhere for a long time. I think everybody is hanging on to theirs. Here is a good review from scopeviews.

http://scopeviews.co.uk/Zeiss7x42FL.htm

It is a real problem finding one of these older Alpha 7x42s for sale.

Once the announcement came from the manufacturer that they were being discontinued they disappeared from the market very quickly. And the fact that the 7x42 format was not real popular with birders to begin with doesn't help matters in finding one for sale.

Bob

You can sometimes find a 7x42 Nikon EDG 2 or a 7x42 Trinovid BN but the 7x42 Zeiss FL is rarer than a California Virgin.

There are plenty of ebay imports Nikon 7x42 edg for $1700 or so, though I cannot say I'm positive about EDG I or EDG II as I don't remember the specific model numbers.

There are also a few SLC 7x42b's from 1996 - 2000 vintage for $1200.

I saw a Swaro SLCneu 7x30 on ebay, after it sold. I think it was listed for all of 27 seconds or so (I'm exaggerating for effect, but it didn't stay listed for long).

Otherwise, there's Trinovid BA, but not BN's in 7x, at least that I've seen over the last month. Same with Zeiss or SLCneu.

There is an ebay Ultravid HD 7x42 for $1300 import.

Marc

Marc

There are plenty of ebay imports Nikon 7x42 edg for $1700 or so, though I cannot say I'm positive about EDG I or EDG II as I don't remember the specific model numbers.

I saw a Swaro SLCneu 7x30 on ebay, after it sold. I think it was listed for all of 27 seconds or so (I'm exaggerating for effect, but it didn't stay listed for long).

Otherwise, there's Trinovid BA, but not BN's in 7x, at least that I've seen over the last month. Same with Zeiss or SLCneu.

Marc

Marc

All you have to remember about the double hinged EDG I is do not buy one!. The EDG I was the the first edition and had double hinges and was replaced with the single hinged EDG II. (Its optics were excellent if you are feeling adventurous--just make sure that the focus wheel works OK. Its corrugated rubber covering would stretch and interfere with the focusing.)

Any EDG I you find for sale is probably refurbished and will only have Nikons 90 day warranty. Its original covering would bubble and come free after being used for a while. There were also problems with the focus wheels covering coming loose.

These problems were resolved with the single hinged EDG II

Bob

Last edited:
Chuck, thank you for obliging as usual! Thanks for the fine photo, and also the weight figures (which I take it are as shown, without strap and lens covers).

Those rings at the eyecups make a big difference. I did see something was up (no pun!) and thought I could mentally adjust for it but now see I had not done so enough. The height difference vs Leica is easily noticeable in your photo, and in fact looks more than the stated 5.2 vs 5.6 inches. Sorry also to put you through the hassle of removing and refitting the rings!

Do you mind explaining this a bit: "I've used it a LOT over the summer...It's a good binocular for a beginner...hey, it's a $250 binocular. In no way will it compare optically to one of the others above. It's not Opticron's best work optically, either. Just saying..." Why despite those negatives did you use it a lot? Especially why this instead of the Leica? Easier handling? Security situations where one would rather risk a much less costly binocular? Thanks. I had virtually decided on the Opticron vs the Leica when you spoil my plans!

As for the T4 mistake episode above: amateur psychology is a tricky thing, but maybe what impressed you was the easier making out of detail due to 8x while you were thinking of though not seeing the greater depth!

PS. Pressing you a bit further: how would it place in this test? A few months back you wrote of the Nikon Monarch HG 8x42: "I've never gone birding with this binocular and said 'I wish I had brought my ______ binocular instead.'" Were there times, during this possibly limited experience with the Discovery, that you wished for, say, the Ultravid? Thanks!

So why did I use the Discovery 7X42 a lot? In particular THIS summer I've had to stay close to home because of work....and being between migrations the odds of me seeing a bird I haven't seen aren't that good although I'd be happy to see one! So I enjoy playing around with different binoculars....otherwise I certainly would be out with the UVHD+ 7X42 OR the SV 8X32, et al. ALSO....I'm not one to pick up a binocular for 20 minutes and form an opinion about it....I spend some time with it, different days, different conditions, different spots, compared to different binoculars, etc and I really WANTED to have an opinion of this binocular. LASTLY....it's a 7X42 roof which is probably my favorite format and there aren't that many, especially new ones. Rest assured when I have formed an option about a binocular....I didn't come up with it overnight, not via the internet, and I have compared it to its peers. BTW....I compared the Discovery to the only other AND least expensive(I didn't see any need to compare it to the FL 7X42/UVHD+) 7X42 roofs I have(Triovid BN/Meopta B.1) as well as two other Opticrons, the T4 Trailfinder and the Verano BGA HD. That Verano BTW...a little short on FOV but otherwise a VERY nice binocular!

7X42 vs. 8X42/Discovery vs. T4..... Nah....it wasn't 7X vs. 8X difference. I've tried to see THAT with FL 7X/8X, UVHD+ 7X/8X, etc. Really practically ZERO difference. 7X detail may actually be BETTER since it's a steadier image. Certainly a difference in optics.

"I wish I had brought my...." In this case the answer is yes! In fact while looking for a lone wood stork in a group of about 200 great egrets I actually swapped to the Conquest HD 8X32s I keep in my car....I haven't done that many times. The difference was easy to see. Yeah, yeah I KNOW it's a more expensive binocular but there was more difference than there should be IMO.

Don't get me wrong... ..the Discovery has it's merits and I think it would be fine for beginner....I might warm up to it a little more but I really can't see that happening at this point. This is one binocular I WANTED to like more than I do.

Marc

Marc

ANY FL 7X42 you find will be fine.
ANY Ultravid 7X42 will be fine although as mentioned it won't have a very close focus. Same for a Trinovid BN.
SLC 7X42...MINE is a 2008...CERTAINLY no worries with that year! It's CF isn't that close either, just measured it and it's about 11 ft.

A saw a number of different (used) top quality 7x42's in the shop of House of Outdoor in The Netherlands, so you can give it a try (I am not a share holder of the shop, but a regular visitor).
Gijs van Ginkel

Thank you very much Chuck for a thorough and patient answer as usual. So...more thinking ahead...size and price of Discovery vs optical quality of Ultravid! I shall need my 7x only for depth, which means mostly woodland, unlike in your Conquest swap episode, so here the Discovery option survives... Importantly for me, I--not able to try out anything--am able to form an increasingly better idea of the Discovery, from the reviews by Lee, David, and now you...

ANY FL 7X42 you find will be fine.
ANY Ultravid 7X42 will be fine although as mentioned it won't have a very close focus. Same for a Trinovid BN.
SLC 7X42...MINE is a 2008...CERTAINLY no worries with that year! It's CF isn't that close either, just measured it and it's about 11 ft.

From scanning through various old BirdForum posts on the SLC, it looks like 2006 is when the SLC 7x42 got its final upgrade, so anything 2006+ would be the best choice. I don't remember the chronology of what happened when (I think it was Gijs who posted it), I just remember the date :)

We have a copy of the Discovery 7x42 arriving soon to try out. If those are not satisfactory, we're going to try the Canon 10x32 IS, which is a new model with a simpler on/off button (don't need to hold it in like the 10x30 IS ii). It's around $1100. If that does not work out, then I might try a used pair of UVHD 7x42 for about the same price. She has tried the UVHD+ at an optics fair and liked them, so I think the non-plus should be just fine.

Marc

P.S. She tried my pair of Kowa Genesis 8x33 at the same time as the Celestron Granite 7x33. She found the Kowa much sharper for her, even with some shakes. I know, optically and $-wise, it's not a fair comparison.

From scanning through various old BirdForum posts on the SLC, it looks like 2006 is when the SLC 7x42 got its final upgrade, so anything 2006+ would be the best choice. I don't remember the chronology of what happened when (I think it was Gijs who posted it), I just remember the date :)

We have a copy of the Discovery 7x42 arriving soon to try out. If those are not satisfactory, we're going to try the Canon 10x32 IS, which is a new model with a simpler on/off button (don't need to hold it in like the 10x30 IS ii). It's around $1100. If that does not work out, then I might try a used pair of UVHD 7x42 for about the same price. She has tried the UVHD+ at an optics fair and liked them, so I think the non-plus should be just fine.

Marc

P.S. She tried my pair of Kowa Genesis 8x33 at the same time as the Celestron Granite 7x33. She found the Kowa much sharper for her, even with some shakes. I know, optically and $-wise, it's not a fair comparison.

I bought a used 7X42 SLC that was made in 1996 and upgraded in 2016. A new serial number was assigned by Swarovski. Always check used Swarovski bins to see if they've been upgraded.

Thank you very much Chuck for a thorough and patient answer as usual. So...more thinking ahead...size and price of Discovery vs optical quality of Ultravid! I shall need my 7x only for depth, which means mostly woodland, unlike in your Conquest swap episode, so here the Discovery option survives... Importantly for me, I--not able to try out anything--am able to form an increasingly better idea of the Discovery, from the reviews by Lee, David, and now you...

First a question for you....What's your primary binocular(s) NOW?

Marc

Marc,

Sounds like you have a pretty well thought-out plan! I hope you are elated with the Discovery 7X42 and that will be that! ;)

First a question for you....What's your primary binocular(s) NOW?
Chuck,
Zeiss Victory 8x25 (the new model).

Here are my other binoculars at present in case that helps. I wrote this a few months back on this forum when asked. I am copying the gist of the info. still current and adding the text in "[...]".
- - - - -
Alpen Teton 15x50
on the way... [My friend in the US is yet to bring it.]
If the Alpen disappoints then I go for
Meopta MeoStar-HD 12x50...
Tempted also by
Leica Ultravid-Plus 7x42...
which will make the total 3...
[Also have:]
Leica Ultravid 10x25 "left over", almost never used, may go
Hawke Sapphire 8x25, "car bino"
- - - - -

Then I had not seriously considered the
Opticron Discovery 7x42.
Now I copy what I wrote to a friend a couple weeks back: "...I was rather thrilled by the view of the Kowa YF 6x30 (porro, "clones with" Leupold Yosemite, very good optical quality, at less than USD 100) in a woodland setting due to its depth of field and 8.0-8.1 deg. FOV. You could see so much of birdlife, that is, different species and their movements, in one view. But I felt its 6x was inadequate for detail of the birds. Since then I have been hoping for such a view at 7x from some model of good optical quality. I would also, as you might remember, like a binocular to be smaller!..."

PS.
Iveljay,
Reading threads on this model just now I came across your review which also I had found useful but somehow forgot about when listing in my last post above!

Last edited:
adhoc,

Do you think you will be satisfied with Discovery 7X42 when you compare the optics to you Zeiss Victory? I would be inclined to think you won't be.

I say buy a nice 7X42 ONCE(Do as I say, not as I do!)

adhoc,

Do you think you will be satisfied with Discovery 7X42 when you compare the optics to you Zeiss Victory? I would be inclined to think you won't be.

Hello Chuck,

I bought a Zeiss Dialyt 7x42 BGAT*P, after I bought a Leica 7x42 BA. Except for the length, which is ergonomically sound, there is nothing to make me buy the FL. I am sticking with the Dialyt, even after fourteen years.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Hello Chuck,

I bought a Zeiss Dialyt 7x42 BGAT*P, after I bought a Leica 7x42 BA. Except for the length, which is ergonomically sound, there is nothing to make me buy the FL. I am sticking with the Dialyt, even after fourteen years.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

What is different between the 7x42BT*P and the 7x42B/GA T*P?

Last edited:
Do you mean the Carl Zeiss Design Collection 7x45B T* for the 1st one? It had 45mm objectives and angled eye cups.

https://www.allbinos.com/1062-Carl_...x45_B_T*-binoculars_specifications.html#oceny

The 2nd one is the 7x42 Dialyt ClassiC.

https://www.allbinos.com/242-Carl_Zeiss_Dialyt__7x42_B_GA_T*_ClassiC-binoculars_specifications.html

Bob

Ok, thank you. I've seen some people leave the "ga" out when they talk about the "classic." So I guess the only variation is if it has the P coating too.

Marc

adhoc,

Thanks Chuck.

This has happened several times, for different axb configurations: I first get a less costly and smaller model, soon find that it not good enough optically, then replace it with an optically better model that is costlier and larger! The reason is that where I am one cannot try out binoculars, as explained elsewhere. There is a typically a delay of months between those first and third stages. Each time I had done much reading up, mostly on this forum, and mulling over choices.

The CA reported in the Ultravid worries me. See for example comments a few hours back in the current thread on the Trinovid. Now it appears that Nikon has discontinued/will soon discontinue the present EDG line. I feel like waiting to see if they bring out a replacement for the 7x. If they do it may be better than the Ultravid 7x in all criteria. So in a few months I might do as you do! CA will not matter as much in woodland, but at that price range one would rather wait and see.

In what I quote from my letter at the end of the last post the unstated logic is: The optical quality of the Discovery 7x may be less than of the Kowa ("Yosemite clone") 6x30 but I hope that the greater x and brightness more than makes up for that!

For those reasons if I am going for a 7x now it may be the much less costly Discovery.

Last edited:
What is different between the 7x42BT*P and the 7x42B/GA T*P?

The difference is the GA which means rubber armoured. If it isn't GA then it has a kind of faux leather-look covering. And BTW there is no difference between P and P*. The asterisk was just added to the P to bring it into line with T*.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back