• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Highlands and Islands Thread (1 Viewer)

Went up to cairngorms last week for ptarmigan then on to a site usually productive for caper before the area becomes out of bounds before lekking. Only to find forest was an absolute bomb site with huge stacks of logs everywhere and the ground was covered in huge rutted tracks. Have heard thinning trees out is supposed to be a benefit but this seemed an extreme

I was out today with the dog in the lower hills of the northern Cairngorms, principally to see some deer. In that respect it was successful, with us spotting several reds and some roe. The dogs nose spotted them before my eyes did, which was the plan all along.
On the bird front, apart from the usual coal, blue and great tits we saw a couple of bullfinch (they're so bonny that I never get bored of them), three raven (increasingly common nowadays), one golden eagle and two male capercaillie. I didn't spot any crested tits, which is a minor disappointment since they're often seen in the area.
It was beautiful in the Cairngorms today and it seems that spring has sprung, although the forecast is for more snow next week.

Sounds like you had a great walk today, shame about the crested. We are up to the West Coast next Saturday for 2 weeks (driving up from North Devon so around 650mile drive) forecasts if to be believed could make the drive into Scotland then along the A82 around Rannoch Moor interesting

drive into Scotland then along the A82 around Rannoch Moor interesting

That drive is always 'interesting' ;) Take your time and enjoy. Wish I could be doing it LOL

Cairngorm

Worth noting Cairngorm Funicular railway will be closed from June 8th to July 8th for maintenance. Afraid it's a walk up if you want to see Dotterel or Ptarmigan!

Funicular Cairngorm

Update for anyone planning a visit that there are currently serious problems with the funicular railway to access Cairngorm. How long it will take to rectify is anybody's guess. Cracks have been found in the concrete supports which means severly reduced operating capacity....including wind and temperature parameters..Basically it's not surviving the harsh conditions of the mountain, the company that built it probably cut costs and failed to tell anybody this would probably happen.

Update for anyone planning a visit that there are currently serious problems with the funicular railway to access Cairngorm. How long it will take to rectify is anybody's guess. Cracks have been found in the concrete supports which means severly reduced operating capacity....including wind and temperature parameters.

Apart from anything else, that will really mess up their skiing season. In recent seasons a reasonable proportion of the skiing has been at the top only, and if people can't get up to the top.....

Take it Hoopoe near nethy bridge has gon as not seen any updated messages anywhere or has it not been looked for last few days

Hi roslin and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I look forward to hearing your news.

All things Scottish can be found here. Also, keep an eye on threads titled something like Scottish Bashes; we try to meet up occasionally and they're always great fun. You'd be most welcome to join us on another if you can manage.

Unfortunately that link doesn't work... can you perhaps upload some thumbnails to the thread here. You can put 5 on each post.

shellscape

just back from a week in Aviemore- spent a day over towards Fort Augustus and had excellent views of a couple of Golden eagles on the road over as well as numerous Buzzards.
Found an Osprey nest with a bird on it too- did not get anywhere near though for obvious reasons though the bird seemed pretty chilled!

Nice weather too!

It's great to hear from you John. I hope you've been keeping well through these troubled times.

Yeah... thanks John, I'm OK thanks.

Roll on the vaccines I say, we might get some degree of normality then.

I’m trying to get to grips with the tier system John, and if 2 families can stay in a holiday cottage. We’d booked Mull for New Year but that would be for 3 families which from what I can see is a total no go. Particularly with it being under Tier 2.

I’m trying to get to grips with the tier system John, and if 2 families can stay in a holiday cottage. We’d booked Mull for New Year but that would be for 3 families which from what I can see is a total no go. Particularly with it being under Tier 2.

Currently only one household/family are allowed in self catering accommodation anywhere in Scotland even in tier one areas such as Highland and not sure I can see this changing by Xmas. As it stands any non-essential travel across the border is illegal under updated restrictions last week so planning is a nightmare. I guess most places are taking bookings in the hope it will change, but to be honest I'd be surprised if the single household rule is relaxed yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back