• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Collins Bird Guide for Android Survey (1 Viewer)

I bet it is an app. Only the Harper Collins has no option for that.
But shipping charge? Say whaaaaaaat?
Let's wait until it pops out in google play store.

Have just sent an email to HarperCollins asking for a full explanation for me and other confused birders. In my case, it is my age combined with 100% opacity.

Will post any reply.

Colin

I wonder if you can download it on more than one device? What happens if you lose or upgrade your android phone/tablet - can you transfer the app?

I wonder if you can download it on more than one device? What happens if you lose or upgrade your android phone/tablet - can you transfer the app?

Well when I replaced my Apple iPhone 5 with the Apple iPhone 7 plus, the Collins s bird app easily transferred free of charge and so so I presume it would be the same with your android phone/tablet. I also upgraded to a more recent Apple iPad and transferred the Collins app free of charge as well
Ian.

Last edited:
Well when I replaced my Apple iPhone 5 with the Apple iPhone 7 plus, the Collins s bird app easily transferred free of charge and so so I presume it would be the same with your android phone/tablet. I also upgraded to a more recent Apple iPad and transferred the Collins app free of charge as well
Ian.

I did the same a few months ago, updating both my iPhone and iPad. No problem at all, the Collin's (together with all my other apps) transferring to both devices without a hitch or further cost.

It's an app:)

Straight from the horse's mouth.

Dear Colin

Many thanks for your email regarding an Android app/ebook version of Collins Guide to the Birds of Europe.

Am I right in thinking you’re referring to the Collins Bird Guide app listed here: https://www.harpercollins.co.uk/9780008242282/collins-bird-guide ? If so, it’s definitely an app and not a reflowable text ebook. I’ve alerted our technical team to the problem with the page, so thank you for flagging it up.

I recommend purchasing the app from the Google Play store as soon as it becomes available rather than the HarperCollins website, as I think the HC website only supports the sale and download of ebooks and the app was listed in error. If anyone has already purchased the app directly from us, they can contact our Customer Services department for a refund, making sure they include their email address (if different to the one used to contact us) and any order reference number received.

Many thanks for bringing this to our attention and sincere apologies for the confusion caused.

I hope that the Bird Forum community enjoy using the Collins Bird Guide Android app!

Best wishes
Susanna

SUSANNA SKINNER
DIGITAL CONTENT MANAGER (EBOOKS)
DIGITAL
HarperCollinsPublishers

No joy thus far at least on the Google Play website, even though it is now past April 5 in Europe.
Has anyone been able to get the Android version from anywhere?

I'm glad it is the App, and it is the website in error. Thanks Colin for clarifying this.
As far as the 5th April release goes. I don't think anything on that web page was accurate!
So chances are it is imminent.

Really confused now!! Is there really a CBG Android app coming out and if so do Harper Collins have ANYTHING to do with it??

Russ

Last edited:
I'm glad it is the App, and it is the website in error. Thanks Colin for clarifying this.
As far as the 5th April release goes. I don't think anything on that web page was accurate!
So chances are it is imminent.

Give it a few days and, if nothing appears on Play Store, I will contact HarperCollins again for a date.

Colin

Here is the latest today.

It seems that we shall just have to be patient for a little longer .............. We have waited years for this but hopefully our wait will soon end.

Colin

Dear Colin

Thanks so much for providing the link which did indeed work.

There appears to be a definite glitch in our system as I believe this particular title was removed from the HarperCollins website on Friday. I’ve alerted our tech team so they can remove it once again and take a closer look as to why it’s reappeared. Unfortunately, because it’s an electronic product the website thinks it’s an ebook which is why it keeps asking you to download the Bookshout app first or tries directing you to another retailer (Apple would sell an ebook through their iBooks store). Hopefully the page can be taken down again quickly.

As for the Android app itself, I do believe it is going through its final testing and once completed and approved by Google, it will be available in the Play store. Hopefully not too much longer to wait!

Thanks so much for your patience and apologies for all the confusion caused.

Best wishes
Susanna

Tired of waiting

We still have no idea when this app will become available.

In the past, I downloaded free Ornithopedia Europe (there is also a version for North America).

When I opened the app, I was presented with a series of bird thumbnails in alphabetical order. Based on past experience with other free apps, I thought that I would have to scroll down until I came upon the bird I wanted. Having done this, the resulting pictures were of low quality.

I now have a new tablet and have re-installed the app and I am impressed. It will do what I want, safe in the knowledge that I will still have my books at home.

Just to teach grandma how to suck eggs, I will explain how I eventually worked out how to get the best out of the app having downloaded it.

First, I went to settings and identified the destination for the downloads - in my case, the external SD card. The app had already identified the language as English.

Next, I went to modules and sequentially downloaded the articles, sounds and high resolution images. The are options for these in different languages and quality. There is also an option to download folders for personal input.

Then I went to 'Search by name' and, idiot that I am, eventually simply tapped on the phrase and was presented with a keyboard to type in the name of the bird of interest. I did not have to scroll down as I originally thought.

The bird came up with high resolution images and links to sound, articles and movies.

Training and id options are also available from the menu.

I have tried it a couple of times. We are off to Sweden next month and the more exotic birds were all present in the app.

I think this will suit my needs - others may have different requirements. I am now thinking that I shan't bother with the Collins Bird Guide when it comes out unless it coincides with Christmas or my birthday.

I don't know if anyone else has tried this, but it is worth a look especially as it is free.

I have also downloaded it onto my Samsung Galaxy S5 where it works a treat.

Colin

Colin, I may wait until Collins comes out for Android, but as I have only limited birding time in Spain this Autumn, I might just go for Ornithopedia for my needs. Does it work offline? Also, I don't have an SD card for my phone, which is what I would want to use. I have a new smaller tablet, but will not be carrying it with me while I am out and about - and seeing birds.
As an update, I note Collins is still listed on the HarperCollins website - but listed as 'out of stock' for the strangely inconsistent 'ebook app', and still not on Google Play Store.

I have just turned off the wifi on my phone and Ornothopedia works. All the data is downloaded to the phone except for some sounds where you have to connect to the internet - basic sounds are still available. My reason for downloading to an SD card is that it makes it simpler when changing phones.

As it is free, why not try?

Colin

Colin, I did give it a try yesterday. Glad to know it works off line. As I am so unfamiliar with European birds, and my testing for Spain still brought up way too many options, I will need to get to know it better before travel. I didn't have much time, but see I can narrow down searches to groups, like 'duck'. That will help. Thanks again.

I had this from Nature guides today -

Hello Arun,

We’re a week or two behind schedule but we’re on course for a release around about the 10th of this month. The app will go onto the Play Store when it’s available. Keep an eye on our Twitter @Nature_Guides for news of when it’s released.

Kind regards,

Stephen

NatureGuides

[email protected]

www.natureguides.com

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back