• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rec. for 1st scope for ~$500? (1 Viewer)

adampaul

I believe in God, only I spell it N.A.T.U.R.E. - F
Rec. for 1st scope for ~US$500?

Hi folks,

I'm looking to purchase a lightweight (under 2 pounds) scope, with a budget of around US$500 (give or take). In looking around at B&H and Eagle Optics, the Kowa 601 w/20-60x eyepiece at $600 looks solid, and I've liked the Kowas I've looked through (although I suspect they were quite a bit more expensive!).

The only other model I've found that looks intriguing is the Nikon ED50 w/13-30, but that's $700, which is pushing my budget pretty hard, and I'm not sure 30x will be enough to satisfy. On the other hand the ED glass sure would be nice, and I am very happy with the Nikon bins I currently have (Monarch 10x42). And the size/weight are quite attractive, but I wonder if 50mm would gather enough light on dull days - I would think it might be a bit dim.

I definitely want waterpoof/purged, which pretty much everything in this price range seems to be, and don't need a tripod (I have a good, solid CF Gitzo tripod & ballhead already), and am more interested in a zoom eyepiece.

Although I don't plan on doing so initially, I would also like the ability to attach my Canon 30D DSLR body and/or my little Panasonic FX01 P&S and do some digiscoping. It appears both the Nikon & Kowa support T-mounts, which would meet at least the SLR part of that equation. I don't know anything about digiscoping, so am not sure if the FX01 is going to be capable or not.

And lastly, I definitely want an angle scope rather than a straight one.

Any suggestions or other products to consider?

Thanks!
_Adam

If you don't mind something just over 2 pounds (37 oz), look at a Pentax PF65 body at Eagle Optics in the hot deals section. You can get the angled one for $459 and because it takes any standard 1.25" eyepiece you'll be able to add in a decent eyepiece and stay close to your budget. Or Doug over at cameraland has a PF65 demo with a 20-60 eyepiece included for $599.

This spotter is on my short list, and these are the two best places I've found to buy them.

Thanks for the tip - I was looking at the PF65EDA, as it seems to be quite well-liked, but was put off by the rather expensive (and I'm sure, excellent) Pentax eyepieces.

It may well be worthwhile to get the scope & a cheaper eyepiece for now, and a nicer one later if needed.

Thanks again!
_Adam

Make sure the tripod is OK. A fairly OK scope is fairly OK on a steady tripod only. Took me a year to figure out.

adampaul said:
Thanks for the tip - I was looking at the PF65EDA, as it seems to be quite well-liked, but was put off by the rather expensive (and I'm sure, excellent) Pentax eyepieces.

The pentax eyepieces are reasonably expensive but are very highly regarded in the amateur Astronomy scene. In various Astro reviews they hold their own against much more expensive products.

Based on my experiences with one of the new PF-65EDa II models (introduced Feb '07), I'm convinced that the limiting factor with these scopes is the quality of the EP. The fixed eyepieces will give you much better view than the zooms, so I'd suggest picking up an XF12 EP if you want to save a few $$ and get a better view.

The original PF65's are an exceptional deal if you can pick up a body for $459, but this seems to be a clearance pricing. The new PF65-Eda II's seem to be selling at $549.00, so be aware that there 2 models in stores, and only spend $549 if the seller guarantees that you are buying a 'II.

cheers
Paul

edit: Adorama are clearing the old models for $429, and list the II's at 599.00

Last edited:
Hi Tero,

Tero said:
Make sure the tripod is OK. A fairly OK scope is fairly OK on a steady tripod only. Took me a year to figure out.

The pod should be great - it cost about the same as the scopes under consideration ;) Unless there's some consideration for scope 'pods that doesn't apply for cameras, I have been /very/ happy with this 'pod with my Canon 30D DSLR & 300mm f/4 lens on it, and would expect it to be rock-solid with a measly 2.5# scope attached.

Hi Paul,

PaulJacobson said:
Based on my experiences with one of the new PF-65EDa II models (introduced Feb '07), I'm convinced that the limiting factor with these scopes is the quality of the EP. The fixed eyepieces will give you much better view than the zooms, so I'd suggest picking up an XF12 EP if you want to save a few $$ and get a better view.

....snip....

The original PF65's are an exceptional deal if you can pick up a body for $459, but this seems to be a clearance pricing. The new PF65-Eda II's seem to be selling at $549.00, so be aware that there 2 models in stores, and only spend $549 if the seller guarantees that you are buying a 'II.

Hmm, well Adorama (who I've shopped with before and generally been happy with) has the PF65EDA for $429 - sounds like maybe just biting the bullet and getting a Pentax SMC XF 20-60x EP ($299) may be a better route than putting a cheap EP on a not-so-cheap body? Since this is my first scope, I do want a zoom EP to aid in locating, then zooming in, although I am certainly open to getting a fixed EP later on for a wide/brighter/sharper view.

Although the total of $728 is almost 50% more than my target of $500, I can make it work.

Thanks for the thoughts and help!

Rgds,
_Adam

Last edited:
adampaul said:
Hi Paul,

Hmm, well Adorama (who I've shopped with before and generally been happy with) has the PF65EDA for $429 - sounds like maybe just biting the bullet and getting a Pentax SMC XF 20-60x EP ($299) may be a better route than putting a cheap EP on a not-so-cheap body? Since this is my first scope, I do want a zoom EP to aid in locating, then zooming in, although I am certainly open to getting a fixed EP later on for a wide/brighter/sharper view.

Although the total of $728 is almost 50% more than my target of $500, I can make it work.

Thanks for the thoughts and help!

Rgds,
_Adam
Hi there...i wouldnt recommend the XF zoom,i dont think it worths 299$ anyway...you can buy the vixen LV for 139$ at adorama,.Personally i think is a better eyepiece,and quite more inexpensive...In terms of another scope,i havent heard much about it,but Vixen geoma pro ED is aa option in your budget range....selling for 499$ ,67mm scope and zoom eyepiece,a zoom very similar indeed to the LV....

mayoayo said:
you can buy the vixen LV for 139$ at adorama,

I'd personally recommend a fixed pentax EP but that is a matter of personal preference. I believe that many reviews have dismissed the XF zoom on the basis of low eye relief, which rules it out for those who wear glasses.

The cloudynight's zoom review had the televue/vixen zoom at the bottom of the pile, while the proxima placed just behind the nikon and pentax 8mm-24mm zoom, so the proxima may represent better value.

I've appended a couple of quotes from the BVD review - I'm not quite sure why several posters to this forum concluded that the XF zoom had been "panned"?

The less expensive XF series are not waterproof and do not have the extra low dispersion lanthanum glass optics. These eyepieces are available in three focal lengths (12mm, 8.5mm and a 6.5-19.5mm zoom). The eyerelief for the two fixed focal length XF eyepieces is 18mm while the XF 20x-60x zoom eyepiece eyerelief ranges between 15mm at 20x and 11mm at 60x, resulting in less than desirable eyerelief for eyeglass wearers when using the zoom.

Don't get me wrong, the Pentax XF 20x-60x zoom and other XF eyepieces while less expensive, still provide a very good image, although not quite as good as the XW eyepieces. The image generated by the XF eyepieces is less bright, somewhat warmer in coloration and has slightly more chromatic and spherical aberration. Yet, despite these minor drawbacks, the XF series eyepieces provide an image quality that will satisfy all but the most discriminating viewer.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the tips, folks!

I've gone with the Pentax 65ED-a and the XF zoom EP, and will probably get a XW-series fixed EP later on, as the extremely wide FOV & long eye relief would be welcome.

Seems like the combo of a high-end fixed EP and a zoom for really distant subjects would be a winner. I'll also need to use the zoom for a while to figure out what mag fixed XW EP to get.

Thanks again - now I impatiently wait for it to arrive :)

Best regards,
_Adam

It arrived today (right after sunset, naturally!) - in a word, wow! Just looking at objects in my apartment with very dim lighting shows /much/ more detail than I expected, even at 60x.

My experience w/scopes is limited, but the XF SMC zoom EP seems pretty darned good, especially at lower mags. At 60x, it is pretty dim, and the eye relief of 11mm at 60x sort of bites, but fortunately although I do wear glasses, I can see well enough without them).

It's absolutely rock solid on my Gitzo 1227 tripod all the way up to 60x; it was somewhat shaky on my lesser Velbon 347.

I can see why folks prefer pan heads over ballheads for scoping - it's a bit difficult to keep it level w/the ball, but that's all I have for now. Perhaps an ultralight pan-head w/an Arca-Swiss QR plate is in my future, but I'm more than satisfied for the time being.

Hopefully it'll be dry(ish) tomorrow so I can get out and look at living things :)

Thank you all again for the help!

Best regards,
_Adam

adampaul said:
It arrived today (right after sunset, naturally!) - in a word, wow! Just looking at objects in my apartment with very dim lighting shows /much/ more detail than I expected, even at 60x.

Best regards,
_Adam

Hi Adam,

Glad to hear you're happy with the PF65. They are an extremely impressive unit and I haven't found anything I can fault with mine yet. :t:

Good luck with the weather & let us know how you go with the "living things"..

cheers
Paul

PaulJacobson said:
Good luck with the weather & let us know how you go with the "living things"..
l

Well I've been out twice now, and can say I'm a very happy camper indeed! Images are amazingly sharp on the wider end of the zoom, although we haven't had enough light the times I've been out to get much use out of the 40-60x range. As others have noted, it's debatable if you get any more detail at the highest magnifications due to the dimmer image.

It's taking some getting used to sighting with it, as the angle is very different than the straight-through sighting I'm used to with my camera, and the zoom EP does help with that a bit.

The setup is very lightweight as well, which I really appreciate since I'm also usually carrying around a Canon 30D w/300mm f/4 lens attached!

Thanks again!

Best,
_Adam

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back