• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How Is Your 2015 List Going? (1 Viewer)

Five new birds this morning, so I'm up to 62 for the year.

58. Common Merganser
59. Ring-billed Gull
60. Great Blue Heron
61. Swamp Sparrow
62. Hairy Woodpecker

Dave

Went for a walk along the Dee Estuary, despite the strong wind ( "a bit breezy" for those in northern Scotland ;) ) and the cold ( "Tee-shirt and shorts with, maybe, a thin fleece" for those in places where it gets really cold ;) ). There was little flying over the marshes but a nice 1st W Glaucous Gull was a good find. Bird #172 for the year came in the shape of 3, possibly 4 Common Chiffchaff at Heswall Sewage Farm.

Last edited:
Still lousy weather here but I finally managed to get in a 3-hour block of birding, near the coast.
74 Orange-crowned Warbler (at our feeders)
75 Spotted Sandpiper
76 Blue-winged Teal
77 Least Sandpiper
78 Western Sandpiper
79 Semipalmated Plover
80 Common Loon
81 Horned Grebe
82 Hooded Merganser
83 Gadwall
84 Herring Gull
85 American Goldfinch
86 Common Goldeneye
87 Royal Tern
88 White-crowned Sparrow

Jeff

10th January
Chester
26. Redwing (tick)
27. Starling
28. House Sparrow
29. Jackdaw
30. Pied Wagtail.

11th January
M53 near Clatterbridge
31. Kestrel
New Brighton
32. Herring Gull
Burton Mere Wetlands
33. Buzzard
34. Black-tailed Godwit
35. Lapwing
36. Teal
37. Shelduck
38. Shoveler
39. Gadwall
40. Wigeon

Last edited:
Once again, I find myself needing some motivating force to get me out of the house and running – really want to get that 10k time down! So, I am reviving the “running total” concept, logging only those species which I can see or hear while training (or racing – not much chance there, though).

Winter has arrived in full force here in “tropical Canada” (Southern Ontario) this past week, so I’ve not been doing much in the way of running outdoors yet - only got started on this list yesterday (Sunday).
1) House Sparrow
2) Northern Cardinal
3) American Crow
4) Black-capped Chickadee
5) American Goldfinch
6) Canada Goose
7) Mallard
8) “Slate-coloured” Junco
9) House Finch
Location: Kitchener, Ontario. Victoria Park - down the Iron Horse trail (a former railway right-of-way) to the park and back.

Conditions: Blue sky, -4ºC, new snow everywhere; somewhat slushy underfoot, a bit like running on a thin layer of loose sand.

Last edited:
7 Common Magpie
8 Common Linnet from my bed this morning, I'd just woken up, heard crows and looked out the window and saw a flock fly over the house
9 Eurasian Coot
10 Common Moorhen
11 Mallard
12 Gadwall
13 Tufted Duck
14 Western Jackdaw
15 Rook
16 European Robin
17 Black headed Gull
18 Eurasian Collared Dove
19 Canada Goose
20 Greylag Goose
21 Great Cormorant

A fair few seen from the bus today

121 (last bird Sparrowhawk crossing the M6 at zero feet near Rockcliffe) but a clutch of Scottish birds added over a long weekend: Harlequin Duck, Long-tailed Duck, Eider, Common Scoter, Iceland Gull, Capercaillie, Snow Bunting, Black Grouse, Crested Tit.

A good short trip with excellent views of the first-winter drake Harlequin down to about fifteen yards.

John

Been in Murcia, Spain for the past week and managed to pick up 44 year ticks, 9 of which were also lifers:

78. Little Egret
79. European Serin
80. Black Redstart
81. European Stonechat
82. Southern Grey Shrike
83. Dartford Warbler
84. Red-legged Partridge
85. Eurasian Eagle-Owl
86. Eurasian Stone Curlew
87. Spotless Starling
88. Zitting Cisticola
89. Common Chiffchaff
90. Eurasian Hoopoe
91. Peregrine Falcon
92. Western Cattle Egret
93. Golden Eagle
94. Eurasian Crag Martin
95. Black Wheatear
96. White Stork
97. Booted Eagle
98. Western Marsh Harrier
99. Greater Flamingo
100. Purple Swamphen
101. Black-winged Stilt
102. Barn Swallow
103. Green Sandpiper
104. Common Snipe
105. Little Grebe
106. Red-knobbed Coot
107. Common Shelduck
108. Yellow-legged Gull
109. Common Ringed Plover
110. Pied Avocet
111. Dunlin
112. Slender-billed Gull
113. Kentish Plover
114. Sanderling
115. Little Stint
116. Crested Lark
117. Black-necked Grebe
118. Iberian Green Woodpecker
119. Sardinian Warbler
120. Sandwich Tern
121. Northern Gannet

The was a small window of about two hours this morning when we had blue skies and the wind dropped so I went to the nearest ponds linked by woods and added:

22 Common Chaffinch
23 Mute Swan
24 Eurasian Wren
25 Little Grebe
26 Great Spotted Woodpecker
27 Marsh Tit
28 Common Buzzard just as I got home it swooped down between the houses to field next door.

On the way home from work I stopped at a stretch of the Monongahela River that has one of the few spots with ice-free, open water in the area. I added a nice selection of waterfowl to my Year List.

68. Redhead
69. Canvasback
70. Ring-necked Duck
71. Horned Grebe
72. White-winged Scoter
73. Wood Duck

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back