• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to spend my money (1 Viewer)

blozier

I have been birding for a few months now with a very old pair of Tasco 10x25 binoculars and would like to step up to the next level. I have about $2000 to spend and would like to get a new pair of binoculars and a scope. Should I put most of the money towards a new pair binoculars and get a cheaper scope, or split it 50/50 etc.?

Thanks,

Bill

Given limted funds I'd definately say make the binoculars the priority. If you choose carefully, you could get a decent pair of bin.s and a decent scope for that money. In the UK Nikon HGs are less than £700 for a top pair of binoculars, far cheaper then some of the recent models. I don't know if it's still the case but optical gear used to be far cheaper in The States than the UK. Then I'd look around to see what is available from the top scope makers: Nikon, Zeiss etc. The difference between the top manufactuers is IMHO fairly small.

I have been birding for a few months now with a very old pair of Tasco 10x25 binoculars and would like to step up to the next level. I have about $2000 to spend and would like to get a new pair of binoculars and a scope. Should I put most of the money towards a new pair binoculars and get a cheaper scope, or split it 50/50 etc.?

Thanks,

Bill

I would definitely put most into a scope and tripod. You can get excellent bins for $400-$500 (less if you shop used), but you get significant improvements in optical quality by spending more on a quality scope (and you'll also appreciate a lightweight carbon fiber tripod). With bins, you spend more and more for smaller and smaller improvements.

Best,
Jim

I have been birding for a few months now with a very old pair of Tasco 10x25 binoculars and would like to step up to the next level. I have about $2000 to spend and would like to get a new pair of binoculars and a scope.

Giving up on the Tascos? FOOL! ;)

With $2K, you're in good shape. Lots of options really. I think Jim's probably right that the majority should go to the scope/tripod. An extra eyepiece and a good tripod and head up the ante considerably. $500. for bins and $1500. for the scope sounds (roughly) right.

If you're patient, look at used stuff :t:

It partly depends on the birding you do and where you go but if you spend lots of time in woodland/rainforest you won't use a scope. Your bins are always around your neck and are the essental birding tool. So I have to completely disagree with the above posts. But as I said for $2000 you have the funds to buy a good pair of bins and a good scope. Check out the Nikon ed50 very reasonably priced and very light.

I would definitely put most into a scope and tripod. You can get excellent bins for $400-$500 (less if you shop used), but you get significant improvements in optical quality by spending more on a quality scope (and you'll also appreciate a lightweight carbon fiber tripod). With bins, you spend more and more for smaller and smaller improvements.

Best,
Jim

Completely agree. From $500 up, money spent on the scope will deliver much more of a performance improvement than money on the bins.

Graham

It partly depends on the birding you do and where you go but if you spend lots of time in woodland/rainforest you won't use a scope. Your bins are always around your neck and are the essental birding tool. So I have to completely disagree with the above posts. But as I said for $2000 you have the funds to buy a good pair of bins and a good scope. Check out the Nikon ed50 very reasonably priced and very light.

I also completly agree with Steve. I you are an avid duck and geeselover or a seawatcher, etc. then a good scope will be used more often then your bins. But when you like to bird in woodlands, dense marshes a good pair of bins would be your main priority.

If I was you I should take a look at the top end bins and scope of Pentax and Nikon.

I have a Pentax scope and really love it. I think it is de best scope, after Zeiss, Swarovski, Leice. Better then the Kowa.

I agree with all.....a good scope will do you wonders although I had a cheap one for 20 years. Being a new birder though, do not get lost within your scope. Use the bino's and learn how to bird. It is far too easy to think you can bird from a distance, which is okay....but to bird, you have to know how to approach birds with a pair of binoculars, how to learn about patience as you wait for nature to come to you.

Don't take the fast track and forget the true value of birding comes in knowing nature and the best way to do so is by 'walking' and learning how to bird.

That said...I am from Washington and I know the value of a scope, since the winter months offer us little in way of song birds....most of what you will see will be waterfoul etc. So a scope is important.

As long as you are starting off with nothing, start off by purchasing quality, as opposed to value. That will save you some aggravation in the long run. Look for a great scope and yes, you will need to be in the $1500 dollar range for everything (scope, lens and tri pod). I might suggest a 80mm scope being in the NW where it is cloudy but you can get by with a 65. I know Kowa has some excellent 65mm scopes that you can pick up for a good price, plus a zoom lens, plus a trip pod. You can pick up some good Swaroski scopes (65mm and not HD class) for around $1000 plus you need to purchase the lens and tripod, so you are getting up there. I would suggest Kowa 65mm, non ED glass...see Eagle optics.

For the binocs....tons of good ones out there, so get on the binoc forum here and look for a pair for around $400 or so. Stay away from cheap ones as color will not come through and you need as much clarity and color as possible to being ID'ing birds.

PM me if you wish...be glad to chat back as I see you are a fellow Northwesterner here... jim

Buy second hand

Good savings can be made on both bins and scopes. Good quality stuff is traded in for the latest gear - good savings to be made!

Get the best pair or bins you are afford - you use them all the time!

Good luck.:cat:

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back