• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recognizing Birds with Juvenile/Immature Plumage (1 Viewer)

whytheworldis

because nature is too spectacular to disregard
I've read it, heard it -- new birders are often thrown off by different plumage than they expect to see, since plumage is the most known. I've seen in the ID threads that often the reason the bird wasn't easily identifiable at first was because it was in fact a juvenile.

Is there a way to tell if a bird is in its immature or plumage without having knowledge from looking at some sort of reference guide? How do you guys know? Have you pored over guides and memorized the plumage?

I've read it, heard it -- new birders are often thrown off by different plumage than they expect to see, since plumage is the most known. I've seen in the ID threads that often the reason the bird wasn't easily identifiable at first was because it was in fact a juvenile.

Is there a way to tell if a bird is in its immature or plumage without having knowledge from looking at some sort of reference guide? How do you guys know? Have you pored over guides and memorized the plumage?

Immature or juvenile birds can vary even from the defined norm that is shown in most field guides. Generally speaking it is the juvenile passerines that cause the most confusion. I would recommmend getting experience of seeing the common birds as youngsters. Behaviour is also a good indicator that a bird is a juvenile. Youngsters tend to be (i am generalising here) more noticable and can be more approachable that their adult parents. I would recommend all birdwatchers to have a field guide close at hand, whether they are just starting out or experienced.

CB

That's good advice from CB. Field Guides are valuable but not perfect. The more you watch the more you will learn. Carry a notebook and jot down any obvious features. Everyone gets it wrong sometimes but the bird will go on happily living as an Andean Condor even if you called it a juvenile Himalayan Vulture.

Alex
Tiger1

Correctly IDing birds does require some memorization, but there are some clues to recognizing juvenile plumage:

--be aware of time of year and when birds breed--it's primarily just after breeding that you'll see birds in juvenile plumage. Many passerines breed in June & July, so juveniles will often appear in July or August, though some passerines retain juvenile plumage longer. (Immature plumage is different though--you'll often see birds in September & Oct. in that stage) Same goes for herons and egrets. Juvenile shorebirds often show up in August and September.

--learn to recognize birds by size, shape, and structure first. If you recognize the structure of the bird, then you'll know that the odd plumage is a variation of some sort.

--juvenile plumages are often more subdued than adult plumages, e.g. more heavily streaked or spotted.

--in shorebirds especially juvenile plumage will appear "fresh", i.e. the feathers will appear new and bright with pale edges. (Worn feathers become darker).

Hope this helps,
Jim

Last edited:
The wide yellow gape and woebegone fluffy look of fresh juveniles (passerines at least) is a bit of a giveaway it is not something mega rare. Presence of adults nearby always a strong hint to what you are looking at. (Very young birds)

Size and structure (giss/jizz) of birds a good hint too as to the species or family - but of course a lot of that comes with experience - but useful.

Habitat useful.

I agree with everything that is said already - whatever the plumage, I can usually tell what species by jizz. It is only later when I'm at home that I look through the field guides to see what that particular plumage indicates.

I agree that unfamilar young birds often betray their identity by virtue of their 'jizz' so knowing adults well can be a great help. Young birds also often tend to resemble females which can be a clue at times. They also more likely to exhibit pale/buffy fringings to their feathers - presumably as this will help to camoflage the more vulnerable youngster,

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back