• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Simple Simple Basic Question (1 Viewer)

Laggard

You go out birding with no particular species in mind. If nothing's happening, how long do you stand in a particular spot before moving on?

I've given this a bit of thought as it isn't quite as simple as it first seems.
I suppose a lot will depend on the terrain and the weather, I'll spend longer if it's a warm or sunny day than if cold or wet. Again I'm happy to spend longer waiting in hilly terrain than on the flat, there's more chance of something appearing over the hill whereas on the level you have a much greater view so don't need to spend as long stood.
Sometimes the mood I'm in will influence the time I spend waiting, if I'm in a good mood I'll stand around for longer than when not.
So I think the correct answer to your question about how long do you wait, is as long as you feel like on that day. Being more specific, I usually hang around for maybe 15 minutes or so on a bad day but can stay put for an hour or so on a good day.

For me, it depends, as well. If I'm at a spot where the sun first hits the treetops, I'll stay there for a while, since birds tend to be most active there, particularly in colder weather.

If I'm at a water feature, I may stay for quite a while, even if there are no birds. At a refuge in S. Texas last winter, I had to wait for an Indigo Snake to come and go before any birds came back to the water. Of course, I got to watch the snake in the mean time.

When I'm walking, I'm always listening and I usually stop when I've heard something. If I pish (which I don't always do) and nothing happens, I'm usually gone in a matter of minutes.

Hope this helps.

As already stated it does vary quite a lot, I can sea watch for 5-6 hours in the same with nothing much happening and when in woodland I can walk my route with only minimal stops. It all depends.

I stay for quite long when there is a chance of something interesting dropping in. For example, a resevoir or a wetland in migration peak times, I can easily spend whole day there, since anything will and does drop in during the course of the day.

As others have said it depends. If the habitat is 'right' then I can hang about for hours otherwise I tend to slowly wander around a regular course that has developed over time.

Chris

I think that after birding for a while you start to get a feel for an area and how long you may need to hang around before things happen (or not).

Seawatching is a pastime that will require extenssive periods of time staring at empty skies but equaly in wooded glades it may be necessary to settle down quietly and wait to allow the birds to overcome natural caution and return to an undisturbed rhythm of movement and call allowing you to pick up on them.

Waiting time may also be dependant upon factors such as weather (especially wind conditions), time of day (early mornings are much busier than midday) and time of year too since breeding birds need to be far more active in food gathering so there is less time required to establish if birds are present at a site.

Unfortunately there are no hard and fast rules but if in doubt then linger that extra 5 minutes.

Now now now corax67 sea watching does not mean staring at empty skies for hour upon hour, you can stare at empty waves as well ;-)

Dave

How long do I stop in one area. It seems to be long enough to move on about 5 minutes before something interesting appears (usually for the person who follows me)

Now now now corax67 sea watching does not mean staring at empty skies for hour upon hour, you can stare at empty waves as well ;-)

Now be serious Dave - doesn't that increase the risk of seasickness :)

Karl

I work to no fomula
I let my ears decide
If I can't hear birds why wait for them to come to me. I'd rather keep walking until I hear something that me stop and see what is making the call

I work to no fomula
I let my ears decide
If I can't hear birds why wait for them to come to me. I'd rather keep walking until I hear something that me stop and see what is making the call

Birds don't always make noise though. If I stopped only when hearing a song or call I'd miss a lot of birds.

Being new to birdwatching I find this a brilliant question and have enjoyed reading the replies. I have found that I seem to keep walking using my eys and ears( my legs do the walking) to look for birds. Have to say that generally I find this unsuccessful. I have however taken time to stop for 5/10 and simly let the birds come to me. This gives me more time to concentrate and scan using my bins. AS birds and other animals are very good at not revealing themselves I find that I can see more this way

Stewart

Being new to birdwatching I find this a brilliant question and have enjoyed reading the replies. I have found that I seem to keep walking using my eys and ears( my legs do the walking) to look for birds. Have to say that generally I find this unsuccessful. I have however taken time to stop for 5/10 and simly let the birds come to me. This gives me more time to concentrate and scan using my bins. AS birds and other animals are very good at not revealing themselves I find that I can see more this way

Stewart

Yes i agree

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back