• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

500 in a year? (1 Viewer)

15th March, Portland Bill, Dorset
128. Northern Wheatear
129. Northern Fulmar

Ferrybridge, Dorset
130. Common Ringed Plover (finally!)

Very nice to see my first spring migrants of the year, with about 25 Wheatears at Portland Bill. Sadly I missed the Firecrest at the Obs and there were no Sand Martins showing at Lodmoor nor at Radipole, but hopefully I will see some soon!

Attachments

• IMG_4697 (3).jpg
    IMG_4697 (3).jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
March 22nd, Maiden Castle, Dorset
131. Snow Bunting
A fantastically confiding bird at a great location. Still very few Spring migrants about- hopefully next weekend will be different!

Attachments

• IMG_4843 (2).JPG
    IMG_4843 (2).JPG
    779.9 KB · Views: 59
March 30th, Radipole Lake RSPB, Dorset
133. Bonaparte's Gull

A very pleasing lifer this morning at Radipole.

Attachments

• IMG_4891 (3).JPG
    IMG_4891 (3).JPG
    179.1 KB · Views: 61
April 3rd, Hilfield, Dorset
134. Barn Swallow
It was very nice to see two fly past my window while revising for my A-levels this afternoon. Hopefully I will find time to get down to Portland soon, where Spring migrants are finally starting to arrive in good numbers, but we shall have to see!

Last edited:
April 5th, Portland Harbour, Dorset
135. Sandwich Tern

Portland Bird Observatory, Dorset
136. Eurasian Blackcap
137. Willow Warbler
138. Sand Martin
139. Common Firecrest

Abbotsbury Swannery, Dorset
140. Black-winged Stilt
141. Long-tailed Duck

A very satisfying morning indeed, with a great number of migrants seen, as well as the fantastic Stilt at Abbotsbury. The only slight disappointment was missing the Ring Ouzels on Portland and the Garganeys at the Swannery, but hopefully I will have a chance of seeing these later this year.

Attachments

• IMG_4920 (2).jpg
    IMG_4920 (2).jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_4930 (2).JPG
    IMG_4930 (2).JPG
    255.8 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
11th April, Inverness, Highland

142. Hooded Crow (my first in Britain)

Portsoy, Aberdeenshire

143. Black-throated Diver
144. Red-throated Diver
145. White-billed Diver. It took some time to locate, but it was worth it for this fantastic lifer!

Lochindorb, Highland
146. Red Grouse
147. Black Grouse
148. Western Osprey
Sadly dipped on the Rough-legged Buzzard, but two lifers made up for it!

Spey River, Highland
149. Common Sandpiper
150. Eurasian Siskin
151. White-bellied Dipper

A fantastic first day in Scotland for me. The night was spent freezing in a tent opposite a Black Grouse lek...

Attachments

• IMG_5013.JPG
    IMG_5013.JPG
    699.5 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_4991.JPG
    IMG_4991.JPG
    486.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_5029.JPG
    IMG_5029.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
I woke up to the fantastic spectacle of 9 male and 4 female Black Grouse lekking, some just five feet away!

12th April, Boat of Garten, Highland
152. Whooper Swan

Findhorn Valley, Highland
153. Common Crossbill
154. Golden Eagle (my first in Britain)
Sadly no sign of the White-tailed Eagle, nor of any Goshawks. I'm off to the Capercaillie watch at Loch Garten tomorrow, so let's see what happens!

Last edited:
13th April, Loch Garten RSPB, Highland
155. Tree Pipit
156. Scottish Crossbill
Frustratingly two Capercaillies were seen on the live camera screen in front of the Osprey hide, but not through the scope!

Cairn Gorm, Highland
157. Rock Ptarmigan Four seen, including two very close
158. Ring Ouzel

Loch an Eilein, Highland
159. Lesser Redpoll
160. Crested Tit (my first in Britain)

Another good day. Hopefully I'll have better luck with the Capercaillies tomorrow!

Last edited:
What a day's birding today was- possibly my best ever in Britain?

14th April, Aberdeen
161. Harlequin Duck
What an awesome bird!

St Combs, Aberdeenshire
162. King Eider
Maybe even better than the Harlequin??!

Lochindorb, Highland
163. Northern Goshawk
Dipped on the Rough-legged Buzzard for a third time, but three incredibly close breeding-plumage Black-throated Divers (about ten yards) and three Red-throated Divers in the same plumage not far away was about as good a way as my first trip to Scotland could have ended!

Last edited:
17th April, Hilfield, Dorset
164. Common House Martin
Nice to see four fly over the garden this afternoon. Hopefully I will be able to make a visit to Portland before I go back to school on Monday to see some more Spring migrants!

19th April, Portland Bill, Dorset
165. Manx Shearwater

Top Fields, Portland, Dorset
166. Common Redstart

Ferrybridge, Dorset
167. Eurasian Whimbrel

Radipole Lake RSPB, Dorset
168. Glaucous Gull (my first in Britain)
169. Garganey

A very pleasing morning out before I go back to school. I'm still missing some easy Spring migrants, so there should be plenty more to add before I leave the UK in July!

3rd May, Hilfield, Dorset
170. Common Swift

The last two weeks have been rather frustrating from a birding perspective with my A-levels coming soon. The Hudsonian Godwit in Somerset has been very tempting, but I sadly don't have the time to go and see it right now. With loads of common summer migrants still to see, I can certainly imagine my next birding trip will bring plenty of year-ticks!

10th May, Hilfield, Dorset
171. Spotted Flycatcher
I probably won't be able to go birdwatching again until towards the end of June with my exams about to start, which is really quite annoying! I suspect that a huge number of year-ticks will come when I eventually can get out. It was very nice to see that the first Spotfly of the year had arrived back in the garden today. By the end of the month about 20 pairs should be back in the area, I can't wait!

3rd June, Charminster, Dorset
172. Eurasian Hobby
Always a great bird to see. It's two weeks until my exams finish now, so this list should start to build up rapidly after that!

19th June, Maiden Castle, Dorset
173. Common Whitethroat

Radipole Lake RSPB, Dorset
174. Eurasian Reed Warbler
175. Sedge Warbler
176. Common Tern

Portland Harbour, Dorset
177. Little Tern

Users who are viewing this thread

Back