• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recommendations for Amazonian/Napo Lodge (1 Viewer)

KHamblett

I'm planning on visiting Ecuador the last two weeks of November and am interested in staying in a lodge in the Napo area. From online research, it seems that these lodges may not accommodate single travelers very well - with their high single supplement charge.

Has any other solo birders visited the area and can recommend or suggest some options ?

Thanks,

I've only visited as part of a group, so (obviously) I can't address the main thrust of your question. I will, however, stick up for Sacha Lodge as an outstanding choice; don't know anything about the rates, but those towers, holy...!

I stayed at the Napo Wildlife Center. Wonderful place and owned by the local indigenous community. I've been told it's not as plush as Sacha Lodge, but I thought it was a great place just the same.

The only issue I had is that I booked a birding tour, but wound up on a general nature tour. Several others lumped into the same group had the same complaint so it was likely an error on the NWC's part not on the part of the company that booked the tour for me. After a bit of an uprising, NWC split the group into birders and non-birders. There were still quite a few birds seen, but not as many of the antbirds, antshrikes, etc. as we should have seen.

The company I booked the holiday through refunded the birding supplement at their cost. I have no idea whether they were able to recoup the loss from NWC.

Check out Sani Lodge - I went there alone in 2012, and I chose them in large part because they were cheaper than other Napo options (though not "cheap" - don't recall prices offhand but I'm sure you can get updated info from their website). Birding there was excellent, with opportunities to visit many different habitat types, potoo day roosts, etc.

I highly recommend Sani Lodge. Great service and concern for the birder. The bird guides are top notch.

Although it can be expensive it is still lower than the others. (About $300 per night right now)
But keep in mind you are provided boat transportation from Coca. All meals. A guide who takes you by canoe to the birds you want to see. Accommodations are very comfortable. If you take a bus to Coca instead of by air, you can save $180, which should be about the same as the single upgrade price.

is $300 a night cheap now :eek!: blimey, think I'll give up birding

For one of the Napo lodges, that is cheap. One thing you have to keep in mind is that because of the location, they are difficult to travel to. So the lodges include boat transportation as well as a personal guide each day. There is Gareno lodge which is cheaper but is also very rustic. No electricity in the rooms, and the water for the bathrooms is pumped from the river. If you want to go on a budget I can make some recommendations. There are a number of back roads that can be used for some great birding. Small towns like Misahualli or Coca are great to use as a base location to visit other birding spots in the area. But if you want to go to the Yasuní, you will need to make arrangements with one of the lodges.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back