• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is in the bag? (1 Viewer)

Lt 26

Leica gives you a Walmart bag, Zeiss gives you the most generic made I China bag. Nikon vinyl bags are no better. Swarovski now that's a bag.

Anyone else provide a proper binocular bag.

Dereck

Note sure to what you are referring - all of my recent Zeiss have come with a well made corduroy-type flip top soft case with inside pouch. They are durable and have held-up fine in many, many travels.

The Zeiss one is the same as many other binoculars come in , nothing special about it maybe a $5 bag. Leica has the neoprene slip, $3 tops.

For 2k you should get something nice from the manufacturer. Years ago much cheaper ones came in very nice cases.

Dereck

Not trying to knock a binocular. But if the manufacturers are listening in this is for them. I like to carry mine in the case slung over my shoulder, in a nice bag.

Dereck

Very nice leather cases say 'Steal me'.

The Zeiss cases would cost more than $5 here.

Canon cases are very thin.
So they should be, as the binoculars are heavy and the cases do their job.

I often carry valuable things in plastic plain supermarket bags. Usually double bags for strength.
If necessary with bubble wrap inside.

I saw a fellow from New York here with A Leica camera, without a bag, proudly carried over his shoulder.
I doubt he kept it long and for an even shorter time if he did this in Spain or Italy.

B.

For the most part I think the average binocular case that comes with the binoculars is very adequate. Elaborate? No. Some are better than others for sure. Some don't come with a case at all which is kinda inexcusable and I've bought some of those binoculars(Terra, Maven, Tract, Trinovid HD, et al). I bought a case to go with those too. The Noctivid case is probably my favorite and the new-style Swarovski case is probably next. Meopta now includes a really nice case. The Leica Ultravid and Zeiss cordura cases aren't anything special but I like them. They do the job nothing more, nothing less. I actually like the fact that there isn't a zipper to go bad over time.

I will say MANY binoculars that include a fancy case use the case/accessories to sell crapy binoculars.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_1303.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1303.jpeg
    65.3 KB · Views: 214
Not trying to knock a binocular. But if the manufacturers are listening in this is for them. I like to carry mine in the case slung over my shoulder, in a nice bag.

Dereck

You are really looking for a more specialized case. I have never carried binoculars that way. If I have binoculars they are for sure 99% of the time out of the case and in front of me in a harness. I bet the vast majority of users HERE do the same thing.

Binocular cases have been a chronic disappointment. My only use for them is to store binoculars in a drawer. Lt, I sometimes do what you do: wear my binoculars in a discrete side bag because sometimes I don't end up using my binoculars when I'm out, I just like to have them on me just in case. For those occasions, I recommend Peak Design (not sure what the policy is about attaching direct links, but im happy to PM it to you if you're interested). Pictured is their field pouch that fits most small to mid-size binoculars, with a couple pockets built in for a lens cleaner, etc...

Very comfortable to wear and not terribly expensive - Also extremely high quality, weather-proof material with a lifetime warranty. Plus the black color makes it look kinda badass. I still bring it with me even when I have my binoculars around my neck; its great for carrying my dog's leash.

Lt, you should recognize the binoculars ;)

Attachments

• IMG_1135.JPG
    IMG_1135.JPG
    215.3 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_1136.JPG
    IMG_1136.JPG
    183.1 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_1137.JPG
    IMG_1137.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Anyone else provide a proper binocular bag?
Dereck

Like several others who have posted here, I don't care about any maker's OEM bino bag; it's never exactly what I need or want, and when I'm out in the field the binos are around my neck and not in a bag. For traveling storage, like in my daypack, I use Zeiss first-generation Conquest cases (the 8x30/10x30BT, 8x40/10x40BT, 12x45/15x45BT series) - they're cheap, padded, tough nylon, black, have a velcro flap and a belt loop, they don't shout "expensive object inside!", and when I remove the little blue Zeiss logo badge they become nearly invisible to a thief. Some shops still have these in stock. Highly recommended.

My Leicas came in wonderful hard molded leather cases.

What model Leica did you get that came with a case like that? I figured I at least one case-type from each of the more recently made Leica's(42mm and up).

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_1304.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1304.jpeg
    71.4 KB · Views: 64
I wouldn’t mind if the manufacturers offered binoculars, straps, and cases a la cart. I for one rarely use the manufacturers case or strap, but I don’t blame the manufacturer. Regarding these items, it’s very hard to be everything to everyone. For cases I tend to use the old Vortex black cases and Leupold Field cases.
To the OP, as Chuck said, the way you want to use a case is fairly unusual.

Last edited:
What model Leica did you get that came with a case like that? I figured I at least one case-type from each of the more recently made Leica's(42mm and up).

Ultravid BL 8x42 (2008) and Ultravid BL 8x20 (2006).

This is what the 8x42 case looks like (bottom right): http://www.company7.com/leica/images/leica_cases_c_1000893.jpg

Below are the 8x20 case and the case from my 8x20 Monovid (2009).

It's quite possible Leica reduced the quality of its cases in the intervening decade. I did buy a Product RED edition 8x20 BL as a wedding present for my cousin 4 years ago, and it came with a very nice red soft leather pouch.

Obviously you would expect the rubber-armored binoculars to ship with equally weather-resistant cases, and my Ultravid 10x50 BR and Ultravid HD 8x32 shipped with Cordura cases. The Swarovski cases are indeed nicer.

Leica sells separately a very nice leather and canvas (not full leather) binocular case made by Aneas in France. B&H has this case on sale that looks like it would work well with binoculars: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1029452-REG/jill_e_designs_464064_hudson_all_leather.html

Attachments

• DSCF0607.jpg
    DSCF0607.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

This is what the 8x42 case looks like (bottom right): http://www.company7.com/leica/images/leica_cases_c_1000893.jpg

It's quite possible Leica reduced the quality of its cases in the intervening decade. I did buy a Product RED edition 8x20 BL as a wedding present for my cousin 4 years ago, and it came with a very nice red soft leather pouch.

Obviously you would expect the rubber-armored binoculars to ship with equally weather-resistant cases, and my Ultravid 10x50 BR and Ultravid HD 8x32 shipped with Cordura cases. The Swarovski cases are indeed nicer.

Leica sells separately a very nice leather and canvas (not full leather) binocular case made by Aneas in France. B&H has this case on sale that looks like it would work well with binoculars: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1029452-REG/jill_e_designs_464064_hudson_all_leather.html

My Ultravid 8x42 Blackline came with a high quality lined soft Canvas (or maybe Cordura?) case that looks like the one shown in the Company 7 link above the hard case shown with it. It has the round red Leica patch on the flap and it is clean and neat.

I didn't have it very long before a prong on its buckle broke off. It still works with the single prong. I have been too lazy to contact Leica about getting a replacement.

Bob

Last edited:
I usually use the bag the binoculars came with. I have 3 Swarovski SV's which have nice bags, 3 Swarovski Habicht's which have just a simple zip-up bag with no strap but they work fine, 1 Nikon 8x30 EII which I find the included case is fine because it is designed for the strap to be on the outside of the case, 2 compacts which are a Swarovski 8x25 CL-P and a Leicas 8x20 Ultravid which I use the Lowepro Dashpoint 20 case because the included cases are too tight IMO for the strap to go inside and with a zipper design the strap should go inside and a Nikon 7x15 porro-prism which has a nice small leather case. So I basically use all of the factory included cases except for the two compacts.

Those are nice cases! They sure fit the perceived Leica image better than the current canvas case.

Some of these responses reinforce what I said in my post #13.

Some want rigid cases.
Some want zipper cases.
Some want stylish cases.
Some want leather cases.

I want a soft collapsible case that can use the binocular's strap for carrying.

So, it's a futile exercise to complain about any one case that comes with your bin, IMO.

Swarovski now that's a bag.

Anyone else provide a proper binocular bag.

According to who?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back