• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Orkneys w/c 10/5/07 - Those damn midges (1 Viewer)

I should leave this one for the locals, but couldn't resist saying we were there w/c 16th May 2006 and had no troubles with midges at all, even though we were camping. Probably because of the constant force 5/6 north-easterly ...

Paul
We are also going to Scotland in May-hoping to tour the western Isles then come down to Farnes. We are planning for 2 weeks. SO! I have been researching those mossies and it's quite interesting what you can find by typing in "Scotland midges". There are web sites specifically for them. Aparently no one will know the answer to your question as it depends very much on the winter we get-the colder it is the more mossies it kills off etc. Then the amount of rain in the spring (together with temperature) will determine how soon they come out. So anyone saying "we went last May and it was x or y" wont really help us.
Apparently there is a well known baby lotion that seems to work as a deterent (dont say it).
Anyway-might see you up there-I'll be the one NOT wearing a kilt.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back