• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trees felled in Devon, and Cornwall amid disease fears (1 Viewer)

Peewit

Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover
Hi there

I have just watched this on the BBC news

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-10715339

The Oak disease is still spreading - we have had Acute Oak disease at Putnoe Local Nature Reserve, Bedford - only last year and it has has an effect on the Reserve. I have noted Green woodpeckers this year in the same Reserve but sadly no Great Spotted Woodpeckers or Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers so far.

It looks although the same or similar has spread to other areas of the UK now and it is worrying.

So, the Oaks are prone to this disease, and it does not sound all that good at the moment

Regards
Kathy

yes it is worrying...they say that it does affect other types of trees, we have signs up in our forest saying that some of the larch trees are affected ...but me and a mate have seen other types of trees that are affected...mark

The news story does seem a bit crazy though -

All the trees they show are conifers.

They are hoping to stop it by cutting all the trees down. I wonder if that is going to be possible.

They are clear felling through the summer - right through the bird nesting season.

Call me sceptical, and this is only one news story, but I'm wondering if this is a case of bad science at its best?

British Oaks seem more resistant than those in America. The fungus, Phytophthora ramorum, has been infecting many Rhododendrons and Viburnums in gardens and nurseries for several years but has recently been seen to affect Japanese Larch and some Beech trees. As the fungus spores mature on the trees and are spread by wind I guess they are trying to knock out the fungus by removing it's preferred host.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back