• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shieldbugs. (1 Viewer)

Surreybirder said:
When is the 'season' for finding the adults, Harry?

The answer is not quite as simple as it may seem. Unlike the majority of Butterflies and Moths they don't have a season as such. The great majority of Shieldbugs hibernate as adults. In the spring they emerge from hibernation, mate and produce progeny, many species (as well as the Parent Bug) do seem to have some parental duties in looking after their young. Most overwintered Adults die off in mid Summer, but some survive to see their own young mature into adults.

So the answer is really, most of the year, not counting the winter months when they are in hibernation. Even then you may stumble over one or two hibernating specimens.

The best time to look for them is from early March to late September, that's when most species can be found. However, you do have to conduct searches for many species they are not all easily found.

Harry

harry eales said:
No problem Angus,
these aren't true Shieldbugs,

Harry.

Well I think I can be forgiven in thinking they were. This dramatically cuts down on the amount of true Shiledbugs I've seen.

Angus T said:
Well I think I can be forgiven in thinking they were. This dramatically cuts down on the amount of true Shiledbugs I've seen.
Hi Angus,

It's a common and altogether understandable error, as your Dock Bugs do look shield shaped, as do several other bug families e.g. Lacebugs.

The 'true' Shieldbugs comprise of the Acanthosomidae, Cydnidae, Scutelleridae and Pentatomidae.

If in doubt, photograph them and post your pics here, I will ID them if I can but as I have said elsewhere I can only do the Shieldbugs reliably.

Harry

Tammie said:
Hello Forum,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what this strange looking bug is. It looks like it's almost armour plated. I see them everywhere around here but spotted this one sitting on the edge of my window feeder. Any ideas out there? Thanks!

Hi Tammy,
It is a Shieldbug, but not a species I am familiar with in Britain. Sorry.

Harry

Calling Harry for ID help!

As you seem to be the resident expert, I was hoping you could help with this. It was taken at the weekend by a friend of ours on the island.

Thanks

Keren

Attachments

• bug.jpg
    bug.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 341
Kiki said:
As you seem to be the resident expert, I was hoping you could help with this. It was taken at the weekend by a friend of ours on the island.

Thanks

Keren

Hi Kiki,
It's a 3rd instar nymph of Troilus luridous It has two common English names, The Stealthy or the Lurid Shieldbug. It will be an adult the next time it moults. I'm not sure, but it may be another IoM first. Could you get the Grid Reference, placename, date of capture and captors name for me please.I'll pass the data on to the National Recorder. Thanks.

Harry

Thanks for that Harry (Kiki is the Mrs. in case you hadn't sussed)
That Sloe Shieldbug turns out to be a 3rd or 4th record not a first (according to the Manx Museum).
Details are the same for this one as the last one apart from catch date which was 14/06/04

CJW said:
Thanks for that Harry (Kiki is the Mrs. in case you hadn't sussed)
That Sloe Shieldbug turns out to be a 3rd or 4th record not a first (according to the Manx Museum).
Details are the same for this one as the last one apart from catch date which was 14/06/04

Hello Chris & Kiki,

It looks like no-one has bothered to report the previous Sloe Bug records to the Hemiptera/Homoptera Recording Scheme. I will pass on the record of T.luridous so when maps are produced at least there will be a couple of dots showing on the IoM.

Harry.

Thanks Harry,
I certainly does look like it's wearing body armor! A very strange looking bug and they also fly. I've seen lots of them at the old place before we moved.

Hi Tammie,

I know that all of you North Americans call creepy crawlies "Bugs", but as mentioned above, this is a true bug, order Hemiptera, sub order Heteroptera as Colin J stated above. :t:

steve_nova said:
Hi Tammie,

I know that all of you North Americans call creepy crawlies "Bugs", but as mentioned above, this is a true bug, order Hemiptera, sub order Heteroptera as Colin J stated above. :t:
Thanks Steve!
You're right.... 'bugs' is a common term for most critters like this one, I'm afraid.
I haven't seen any of these yet this year. Of course, we haven't gotten into summer yet this year either! It's still only 10°C outside. Even the tulips are blooming a month late.

I took this photo yeserday on the river Weaver, near Northwich in Cheshire. It doe look very similar to the one Jane Turner posted.

Alan Hill

Attachments

• Shield Bug 2.jpg
    Shield Bug 2.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 357
brianhstone said:
I suspect this isn't a shieldbug at all. Over to you Harry.

Hi Brian,
You suspect correctly, it isn't a shieldbug nymph but one of the common green plantbug nymphs. I don't have any keys for the nymphs of these, so unfortunately can't help further, other than to suggest it is probably one of the Miriads.

I don't have the time to take on the whole 'bug' group which comprises of over 520 species and involves both terrestrial and aquatic species.

Harry

alanhill said:
I took this photo yeserday on the river Weaver, near Northwich in Cheshire. It doe look very similar to the one Jane Turner posted.

Alan Hill

Hi Alan,
Your Shieldbug is the Forest Shieldbug, Pentatoma rufipes. Despite it's name it's also common in gardens. The nymphs and adults are both sap suckers and carnivors, small lepidopterous larva are a favourite food. They don't actually eat the larva, they just suck all the juices out of them.

Harry

What are these bugs?

I would be most grateful for any help in identifying these little fellas. They are about ladybird size. They don't seem to have any wing-case so not beetles? They seem to have 6 legs so not ticks? Are they possibly at an earlier stage in their development?

The photo was taken at Strumpshaw Fen, Norfolk, UK on 20 June 2004.

Attachments

• bugs 9393.jpg
    bugs 9393.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 369
Can't find anything resembling them in my books but looks like some form of shield bug, one of the real entymoligists out there will come up with the answer. Sorry, but they are cute looking things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back